Reload this Page >

Employment in NZ

Employment in NZ

Old May 20th 2003, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

TreborS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employment in NZ

Hi

I’m a New Zealander currently living in London (have been for 2 years now). I came across this site a while back and whilst I often sift around through it I rarely make a contribution. Having read some of the recent threads on life and employment in NZ I thought I’d add my 2 cents worth on this occasion.

Over the last couple of years I spent in NZ (I left in early 2001) I came to know, through a variety of channels (soccer, work, mate’s mates etc) quite a few young Brits in Auckland – off the top of my head I can count 21 of them. These people were all in their mid 20’s and early 30’s and had (at that stage) been in NZ for anywhere between 1 and 8 years. Of these 21, 20 were working in the fields for which they had been trained for or had experience of in the UK. Their occupations included teacher, public health consultant, IT/management consultant, accountant, engineer, construction site manager, recruitment agent, radiographer, nurse, secretary. The one woman who couldn’t find work in her field was a lawyer, she ended up working as a business conference organiser.

Now, two and a bit years later, of the 21 young Brits that I knew 20 are still in NZ working in their chosen careers. The one person to return to the UK was the lawyer. She is currently working back here in London (as a lawyer) but is considering returning to NZ to live in 2-3 years time. Some of the 20 have UK partners, some have NZ partners, some have no partners at all. I don’t know how long all of these people intend to stay but at least half of them have said that they are there (in NZ) pretty much for good.

On the other side of the coin is the continued trend for young New Zealanders to head over to the UK. This has always happened and probably always will happen. Virtually all of my friends have spent at least a year living outside of NZ and most of them ended up in the UK. Why? Was it for perceived better career opportunities? In some cases certainly, yes. But for the majority of Kiwis over here (certainly the ones I know anyway) this is a secondary consideration – the primary attractions are the wealth of travel opportunities and the strength of the pound. London’s abundance of cultural attractions are another major draw card. Whatever the reason for NZers being over here the fact remains that the vast majority return home. A survey published in one of London’s Antipodean magazines stated that 90+% of Kiwis over here intended to return home within 2-5 years of arrival. I don’t know how scientific this is but it concurs pretty well with the feelings of my friends, i.e. have a great time whilst you’re here, take full toll of all that the great things the UK and Europe have to offer, but ultimately NZ is the place where they want to be. There are exceptions to this rule (a radiographer friend who has decided he wants to stay here for the foreseeable is a case that springs to mind).

Most of my friends are well educated people and have had little trouble in finding work of some sort (usually takes a month to 6 weeks after arrival). Some are working in their chosen fields others (such as myself) are not. Recently, however, the situation has changed somewhat. 3 Kiwi friends were made redundant at very short notice a month ago and a 4th (accountant with 6 years tax experience with one of the ‘big 5’ in AKL) has been here 4 months with nothing other than a couple of short term, badly paid, office 'gofer' type contracts to show for it (not even an interview vaguely related to her chosen profession). Obviously the economic downturn has a lot to do with this - in hard times it is easier to get rid of the temps than the locals (nothing necessarily wrong with this).

Most of the young Brits that I mentioned all seem to be happy with their work in NZ and some are in what they have called their ‘dream jobs’ (the public health doctor and two of the finance guys). Conversely, many of the NZers I know in London spend much of their day surfing the internet because they are so bored with their work. These professional internet surfers aren’t, as you may expect, restricted to the public sector. I know of city analysts, IT people with trading banks and company accountants who are extremely well paid but are a million miles from being in what you might call a fulfilling or rewarding role. Generally, they stick with their jobs as it is an excellent means of saving for their next foray to Europe and/or their house once they return to NZ. Some Kiwis over here do get their ‘dream jobs’ but many seem to end up in short term, sometimes uninteresting, often not particularly career enhancing, but usually well paid (in the case of the ones with qualifications) roles.

Despite what I have said there are clearly more employment opportunities in UK than there are in NZ and I would never attempt to argue otherwise. Similarly, many immigrants to NZ most definitely have a harder time getting a rewarding job than natives do and without question discrimination on the part of some NZ employers sometimes plays a role in this (as I’m sure is the case in every country on the face of the planet) but the situation is most certainly NOT as clear cut as UK = great career opportunities, whereas NZ = nice place to grow old but limited opportunities for the young. To suggest (as someone did in another thread), for example, that what employment opportunities there are in NZ are limited to tradesmen and other manual workers is, in my experience and opinion, rubbish.

Ok, so that’s my two cents worth. Not very scientific but as others have posted their insights based on their own experiences and observations so have I. It is disappointing to hear that some of the posters here have experienced difficulties in getting decent work in NZ and it is appalling if discrimination against immigrants has played a large part in this. However, not everyone has been this unfortunate and many others have had far more positive experiences.

Apologies if this is too long winded.
Old May 20th 2003, 4:54 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post.

Cheers - Don
Old May 20th 2003, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

icklepickle is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for posting that - much appreciated.

Regards
Old May 20th 2003, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Employment in NZ

Thanks for that Trebor, nice to hear of success stories for a change

Gra...
Old May 20th 2003, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, great to posts like this, from actual kiwis, its hard enough taking the jump to make a life the other side of the World, but reading a post like yours helps.

Cheers
Old May 20th 2003, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Slippers is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post. It's all true. I was just having people on.

Good luck to all going to NZ.
Old May 20th 2003, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

grahamclan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the post Trebor - very informative
Old May 21st 2003, 7:21 am
Just Joined

coverdrive is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice post
Old May 21st 2003, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent post...I am off to show it to my hubby...it answers many of our 'fears' for the future for our boys. It has been really good to hear from a kiwi over here and your and friends experiences.
Old May 21st 2003, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Rather than be a 'yes' man and say 'great post' like all others, I'll add my own comments, based on living in Auckland for the past 2 and 3/4 years.

Firstly I agree entirely with your comments about a large number of kiwis going to the UK, spending a few years there (some of them managing to earn megabucks) and returning back to NZ at some point. It is also true that a fair number of these (both kiwis doing their big 'OE' and young brits on WHV's to NZ) end up staying permanently. I've no doubt in my mind that the working holiday scheme has benefitted both countries immensely, and long may it continue.

Not so sure I agree with your comments about professional positions though:

When I came over to NZ (on a WHV) back in October 2000, there was an abundance of jobs (I work in IT). Within 2 weeks of starting to look for work, I had 2 job offers in my hand. You could pick and choose where you wanted to work as there were plenty of vacancies, and a (severe) shortage of IT staff in NZ at that time. Getting work permits and residence was a mere formality - my own PR application was processed and approval in principal granted in just 8 weeks (lodged at the NZIS office in Akl).

How things have changed. The situation today is totally different: there are VERY FEW IT vacancies in NZ at the moment. The few vacancies there are get chased by huge numbers of applicants meaning employers can pick and choose. If you don't have either NZ Citizenship or PR employers and IT recruitment agencies don't want to know. And to some degree I can understand this: why would an employer go through all the hassle of helping a candidate obtain a work permit/residence, when he has the CV's of a dozen NZ citizens/PR's on his desk who could all start tomorrow, and not have to worry about paperwork?

Two of my friends found this out the hard way. One came over as a tourist & stayed in NZ for 9 months (6 month visitor permit, extended to 9) & worked in several crappy low paid jobs illegally (at one point working for Telecom NZ in their call centre) before despondently giving up and moving to Sydney. Same old story - employers not interested, get PR then we'll consider you. The other also came over as a tourist & had several interviews, getting down to the last 2 for a very cushy job at TVNZ. The other candidate got the job, simply because he was a kiwi. Rob is a Microsoft MCSE & has over 10yrs IT experience working in UK corporates. He went back home after a month, although I got the impression homesickness also had a hand in his decision. I know several other guys currently in NZ (some with PR) also finding the job situation tough going. One is an accountant (worked for PwC in the UK) who can't find any work. The situation is not limited to IT, it seems.

I am often asked 'do you think the IT job market will change?' The answer is of course it will. To understand the present situation you have to look at the causes: September 11 and a downturn in the global economy. Job losses and corporate restructuring in the UK, together with NZ's perceived safety and low cost of living have meant large numbers of kiwi expats (and migrants) have chosen to return or move to NZ. You only have to read through some of the comments on this board over the past 6-12 months to realise that NZ is becoming a more popular destination by the day. Things will get better when the economy in the UK/USA and elsewhere picks up. People will move back to the countries that pay high salaries. NZ because of its size will never be able to compete in salary terms with the UK, and will always be seen as a 'lifestyle' choice. In hard times countries like NZ will gain people, in good times they will lose them.

Ironically, tradesmen are in fact actually doing very well over here at the moment. A few weeks ago I was working at an electrical installations company, and got talking to the boss. He stated that there is a huge shortage of electricians in Auckland, and to a lesser extent Wellington. They are crying out for experienced sparkies. If an experienced electrician phoned him up its pretty much certain that person would get a job offer there and then, even if outside of NZ. They would have no problem getting a work permit or PR. Same for plumbers, same for mechanics and so on. [if that info re electricians is usefull to anyone - send me a PM and I will pass on his contact details]

In summary, I agree with many of the OP's comments on his post, however to call some posters comments 'rubbish' when he hasn't been in NZ himself for the past 2 years and seen first hand the overall very difficult job market very harsh.

My advice for those thinking of coming to NZ is to research the job market in your industry THOROUGHLY. Those who come over to NZ (especially those who work in IT) with a 'it'll be easy - those kiwis are so backward they don't know their a*se from their elbows' or a 'she'll be right' attitude are in for a big shock, and should take the rose tinted spectacles off pretty sharpish.

Russ
Old May 21st 2003, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Hi Britboy

I don't think there is much in your post that I could disagree with. Nor do I think there was much in my original post that you disagreed with.

Obviously, the job markets in IT and finance have been hit especially hard by the world wide economic slow down and this has certainly made times a lot tougher since I left. Many people over here (London) are having great difficulty finding work in those fields so the situation in a small economy like NZ is likely to be even worse.

My post was an attempt to briefly describe the job finding experiences of a bunch of young UK immigrants (I should have added that all had either PR or work permits/visas) that I knew, and still know, who have remained in NZ and all appear to be still doing ok. Obviously, times have changed since then as I'm sure most posters will be aware. Nevertheless, it may help those considering immigrating to know that there are plenty of people who have made a success of their move.

The post certainly wasn't intended to present NZ as a mecca for young professionals and I don't think people will take it that way. Nor, as I mentioned, was it an attempt to portray NZ as a place with greater employment opportunity than the UK (which it certainly isn't). I doubt if anyone reading this post will take it that way and I'm sure all will follow your advice of doing their homework and being prepared to remove their rose tinted spectacles.

All I did was offer my observations and experiences...much as every other poster to this site.

Cheers
Old May 21st 2003, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, both posts are right, as they are based on personal experiences & therefore cannot be disputed.

Anyway, all info is greatly appreciated. What bothers me are sweeping statements that all of us are facing doom when we arrive, (which we do get, although not as often as the future ozzies!) so it was nice to hear Trebor's story.
Old May 21st 2003, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

TreborS

Would it be fair to say that plenty of Kiwis go abroad to earn as much as they can when they are young and single, and when it comes to settling down most come back to NZ for a better quality of life to start a family?

If this is true, it kinda puts into perspective the thought of some of us that we start our new life in NZ and our kids grow up and want to go back to UK to work, at least we know they'll more than likely come back to NZ again to start their own families.
Old May 21st 2003, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
TreborS

Would it be fair to say that plenty of Kiwis go abroad to earn as much as they can when they are young and single, and when it comes to settling down most come back to NZ for a better quality of life to start a family?

If this is true, it kinda puts into perspective the thought of some of us that we start our new life in NZ and our kids grow up and want to go back to UK to work, at least we know they'll more than likely come back to NZ again to start their own families.
Getmeoutofhere

Hmmm, to some extent yes it probably is fair to say that this is true. But, I don’t think the process is quite as deliberate as that. Large numbers of young NZers have always travelled extensively but it is only in recent years (maybe the last decade or so) that money has been a primary motivator for the majority. Traditionally, Kiwis in the UK generally worked in pubs or did some other form of lowly paid work. They often lived with their Australian and SA friends in hugely overcrowded dilapidated flats in London. Many still do this but in recent years the range of professional opportunities available to us over here has increased hugely. Money is very definitely an important factor for many Kiwis in the UK (and young Aussies and others as well for that matter). Despite the exorbitant costs of living here there are probably few better places in the world than London to make quick cash if you have the right skills and if the exchange rate is in your favour (although the recent economic slowdown has lessened the appeal somewhat). As a result of this there is a tendency for some young Kiwis to stay longer (provided they can sort a visa out) than has previously been the case.

As I said in my first post almost all of the Kiwis I know return home after a couple of years or so. Whether it’s because they feel it’s time to ‘settle down’ I’m not so sure. This is true in some cases but I can think of plenty of other mates who have gone home and continued living the single, footloose lifestyle. I think that answers part of your question but probably not the whole lot.
Old May 21st 2003, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Trebor

My reply had one purpose really - to dispel the perception a few (and I do mean few) people (PB would call them dreamers) have that getting a job in NZ will be a walk in the park. My reply wasn't intended to be a 'negative' one, rather 'this is reality'.

During my time in NZ I've met a few people who have come over to NZ, expecting everything, couldn't find work and ended up going home very disappointed. If people have reasonable expectations, and realise that it can be hard going finding employment (as you say it is the same wherever you are be it the UK, Aus, Canada etc) and are prepared for this, then their chances of success will be much higher.

It's good to hear that your mates are still in NZ and doing well.

All the best,

Russ