Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Employment in Construction

Employment in Construction

Old Jan 4th 2009, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

snowhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employment in Construction

Last summer I visited Australia with my partner and our son on a 6 week fact finding trip. We have took a few months to make our decision as we are leaving two kids behind. My question is as I am in the building trade (bricklayer time served 15 years also fully qualified electrician)and things are quite bad in England has the current downtown affected house building in Oz and has employement become hard to find. Sorry if I have posted in wrong section!
Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Employment in Construction

Well all I can say is that work must be ok in OZ as nobody shows any concern! So thanks and glad to hear it
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:21 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowhead
Well all I can say is that work must be ok in OZ as nobody shows any concern! So thanks and glad to hear it
This is posted in the wrong section, so i'll move it to where you might get some answers.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Things have slowed right down. Lots of big projects have been axed and housing starts are well down, we have recently been in NSW VIC and headlines are the same all over, building is slowing.

One of the great mysteries of course is why the govvy has kept trade skills on its new list probably to keep wages down by having a mass oversupply of workers.

But I dont think Oz is at the stage of the Uk which seems to feed on doom and gloom, in fact the media/gov here are often quite the opposite, talk it up, its australia it wont happen to us Maybe in a recession that isnt a bad thing, i really think the media in the UK is half the problem the country has.

Anyway if your coming out in construction, just be prepared that there is already a lot of competition for what jobs crop up, knowing that helps, a little financial buffer/back up plan might go a long way.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:55 am
Account Closed

innojuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Last summer I visited Australia with my partner and our son on a 6 week fact finding trip. We have took a few months to make our decision as we are leaving two kids behind. My question is as I am in the building trade (bricklayer time served 15 years also fully qualified electrician)and things are quite bad in England has the current downtown affected house building in Oz and has employement become hard to find. Sorry if I have posted in wrong section!
Have posted similar reply on a similar thread just recently, but to reiterate:

Two of our friends who are Aussies but live over here for the time being have just returned from a trip back to Oz, they report that in both Perth and Adelaide there is plenty of building work.

Spoke to some of my mates over Christmas who are all based in Perth and all in building trade and they state they have more work than they can cope with. One of them who owns his own business reports he is having to pay tradies on a cash on the day basis to get them to work. Another who is a subbie reckons he is naming his own price for work.

Have known these guys for over 20 years and have absolutely no reason to doubt them.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people on here who will disagree but there you go.

All the best with it
Old Jan 7th 2009, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

jad n rich yep things here are full of doom an gloom but there really isnt alot of new starts. When I visited my friend in Sydney and he is a site engineer he was concerned things may be slowing down in Oz and I guess he was right. I would really love to come out and give it a try but after jumping through all the hoops to get there am I to be faced with the reality of little work? Who knows but we all loved it anyway!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Sorry Dorothy thanks for moving me!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

http://business.watoday.com.au/busin...0107-7bnw.html

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...006301,00.html

A few news articles for you.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Wendy thanks for the articles. I know very little of the Oz economy but it seems to me that a housing market that has rises of 38% cannot be maintained and will push affordabilty away from home buyers and based on the incomes I have seen especially in construction people will struggle even at 4.25% rate so I can see a bubble bursting in the property market in Oz just has it has done in England
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Wendy thanks for the articles. I know very little of the Oz economy but it seems to me that a housing market that has rises of 38% cannot be maintained and will push affordabilty away from home buyers and based on the incomes I have seen especially in construction people will struggle even at 4.25% rate so I can see a bubble bursting in the property market in Oz just has it has done in England

No idea myself.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

jad n rich yep things here are full of doom an gloom but there really isnt alot of new starts. When I visited my friend in Sydney and he is a site engineer he was concerned things may be slowing down in Oz and I guess he was right. I would really love to come out and give it a try but after jumping through all the hoops to get there am I to be faced with the reality of little work? Who knows but we all loved it anyway!

Heres some figures on starts from todays australian newspaper, not that great but knowing the reality allows you to make a (financial/work) back up plan

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...88-601,00.html

Wonder how the hell construction skills made the workers in demand list though.