Employment.

Old Apr 27th 2004, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Employment.

I have been going through various threads for some time now and get the general impression that it is more difficult to find work in WA Perth than it is near Brisbane.Do not know what the stats are ,but wondered if anyone has had experiences or knows anyone who has experienced this problem.We are going out on a skilled independent visa Hubby's trade is a butcher but also has a fork lift truck licence but will do anything initially to get some cash in.Getting a bit worried as someone else has told us that if you are an immigrant and there is a position going they will give the first offer to an Australian Citizen and if all else fails then the immigrant gets the job.I suppose I cannot blame them as they are looking after there own is this true or is it all a load of rubbish?
All comments would be appreciated Cheers Dreamaway
Old Apr 30th 2004, 1:39 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment.

Originally posted by Dreamaway 10
I have been going through various threads for some time now and get the general impression that it is more difficult to find work in WA Perth than it is near Brisbane.Do not know what the stats are ,but wondered if anyone has had experiences or knows anyone who has experienced this problem.We are going out on a skilled independent visa Hubby's trade is a butcher but also has a fork lift truck licence but will do anything initially to get some cash in.Getting a bit worried as someone else has told us that if you are an immigrant and there is a position going they will give the first offer to an Australian Citizen and if all else fails then the immigrant gets the job.I suppose I cannot blame them as they are looking after there own is this true or is it all a load of rubbish?
All comments would be appreciated Cheers Dreamaway
Well, I don't know much, but seeing as know one else replied(yet)....

I believe Brisbane is bigger. And certainly the whole east coast is fuller. So this means more employment oppertunities.
For some trades, like builders, brickies, nurses , and whatever else(?) there will be jobs practically everywhere.

I would find it logical that they prefer a citizen, firstly oz experience, oz schooling etc. Also, less change of them going away(back) after a while...
Of course, if an immigrant is really the better choice.... but this differs per situation per place I think.

I THINK, if you are willing to do anything, you should usually be right in Perth... but I don't know, and it really can take a while...
Have a look at www.thewest.com.au for butchers and stuff. Specially saturday.

Hope someone can help you a bit more!

good luck with the decision
Old Apr 30th 2004, 2:49 am
ABCDiamond

I can't really help much, but have a quick look at http://jobsearch.gov.au/
It currently shows
17,712 job vacancies in QLD
and 3,531 job vacancies in WA

Obviously this doesn't record every job vacancy but it should give a general indication.

You can also check individual areas for vacancies.

My postcode came up with 32 vacancies, which is higher than the number of jobs advertised in the local paper.

Old Apr 30th 2004, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys for your replies did not think any one was going to reply to be honest.
I think we will head to Perth,not fussy about what we do to begin with so hopefully we shpould get some kind of work,lets hope it does not take too long as I have read on some threads that It can take a good 6 months to find work.
We shall see!
Old Apr 30th 2004, 11:57 am
ABCDiamond

not fussy about what we do to begin with so hopefully we shpould get some kind of work
If you are really not fussy, and are prepared to work, you have a much better chance than most. Some people may not agree or like that comment, but it is said "in general".

I know people who came to this country with NO experience, and even poor english, who started at the bottom, and have done pretty well for themselves.
And all because they started at the bottom.
I couldn't do that myself, maybe i've had too comfortable a life

The right attitude helps, but of course it guarantees nothing.

Old Apr 30th 2004, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Dreamaway

I'm not a butcher, Fitter/ welder, but I've had seven jobs in eight months in Perth. There is loads of work here. I registered with an employment agency (skilled) and can work 7 days a week if I want.
I dont know about butchery but I have seen work advertised in slaugterhouses, yes I know not the same but on the same production line anyway. I'll check out tomorrows west australian job section for you if you like.

Keel
Old Apr 30th 2004, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks KEEL thats really reasurring and has cheered us up no end.If you have the time and its no trouble that would be really
helpful thanks.
Old May 1st 2004, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Yes dreamway

Your in luck in this mornings West Australian's job section 13 posts for butchers. They never advertise wages, thats something to discuss when you ring.

I hope this helps and sets you at ease.

Keel
Old May 1st 2004, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keel thanks a lot Mate! That certaintly does cheer me up no end.We can relax now as at least I know we should find work okay.Thanks for taking the trouble to look.
Old May 1st 2004, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Essex Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by keel
Yes dreamway

Your in luck in this mornings West Australian's job section 13 posts for butchers. They never advertise wages, thats something to discuss when you ring.

I hope this helps and sets you at ease.

Keel
Hi,

How long you been in Perth were thinking of coming there as soon as we can - what is the work situation like over there for electricians as that is what my hubby does.

If you can tell me a bit about Perth I would be very grateful.

How long have you been there are you staying or just working on a visa for a bit.

Are you with family etc.

Do you miss home - if so what !!!

Do you think its true when they say it is one of the best places in the world to live for quality of life etc.

Please let me know as I am fascinated.

Hope to hear from you soon

See Ya

Old May 1st 2004, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Essex Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks KEEL thats really reasurring and has cheered us up no end.If you have the time and its no trouble that would be really
helpful thanks.

Hi

People are so lovely and helpful on here dont you think ?

Anyway, what I need to know is how do I get a nice picture under my name like you have

If you could let me know I would be very grateful

Thanks

Old May 1st 2004, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

re the comments about citizens getting preferentially employed, I may have been lucky, but the only time this happened to me was when I tried to get employment in the public service: I could only be employed on an non-ongoing temporary contract.

At the time I wa on a provisional visa, and so the ealiest I would qualify for citizenship was 4 years off, and also the provisional visa wasnt regarded as permanent residency.

There is a part of the citizenship requirements that waives the 2 year residency requirement if not having citizenship causes hardship, for instance in cases where employment is denied because the applicant is not an australian citizen
Old May 2nd 2004, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

scitta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by keel
.... There is loads of work here. I registered with an employment agency (skilled) and can work 7 days a week if I want.

Keel
Hello Keel,

Could you please let me know the name of the employment agency you have registered with, hubby is an A/c tech.and we are looking at Perth/Melbourne. It would be nice contacting the agency you mentioned, knowing that they offer you good work.

Thanks in advance.
Sarah
Old May 2nd 2004, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hello Essex girl

Yesterdays Western Australian had 40 adverts for Electricians. There's plenty of work but it depends what sort of work he does.

If you do a search for Electricians on this forum you will get a lot of information about what retraining your husband will need to take before he is allowed near an Oz 2 pin plug. Basically he has to go to a local TAFF (Tech college ) and receive a good kicking till he fogets all safe practices and rules and regs only then (after a fee) will he be let lose with WA's victorian wiring.

Perth is everything that you read on this forum and probably more if your wiiling to take the plunge and live the life.

I'm married with a 10 month old daugther and my wonderful wife Sharon. And yes Of course I miss Northumberand very much but mainly the social life and mates but I think it was the best move.

Keel
Originally posted by Essex Girl
Hi,

How long you been in Perth were thinking of coming there as soon as we can - what is the work situation like over there for electricians as that is what my hubby does.

If you can tell me a bit about Perth I would be very grateful.

How long have you been there are you staying or just working on a visa for a bit.

Are you with family etc.

Do you miss home - if so what !!!

Do you think its true when they say it is one of the best places in the world to live for quality of life etc.

Please let me know as I am fascinated.

Hope to hear from you soon

See Ya

Old May 2nd 2004, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by scitta
Hello Keel,

Could you please let me know the name of the employment agency you have registered with, hubby is an A/c tech.and we are looking at Perth/Melbourne. It would be nice contacting the agency you mentioned, knowing that they offer you good work.

Thanks in advance.
Sarah
Hello Sarah

In yesterdays west there were 4 adverts for Airconditioning techs (if that is what you mean by AC) and as I've said above you hubby will have to retrain (kicking, flogging thumbscrews the lot) and pay a fee.

I think that the licence is only valid for a certain time before he must pay a fee again. But don't hold me to that last bit.

Keel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.