Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

emotional impact of migration

emotional impact of migration

Old Oct 4th 2004, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about
Default emotional impact of migration

Can you ever really comprehend what migrating to Australia (or anywhere else for that matter) means before you actually do it? It’s something I’ve been thinking about in the past weeks. I’ve been away from home for longer periods before, spent most of my holidays in the past eight years in Australia, but when on holiday I always have this feeling of ‘get the most out of it, you’ll be back in Holland in another few weeks/months cursing the cold and the rain and wishing you were here again’ and that’s what helps me getting over the missing friends and family bit.
I’ve started to value little things here so much more now that I know I wont be here anymore in a few months. My sister gave birth to beautiful little emma last week and when my whole family was there yesterday, I realised that they’ll be having lots of sunday afternoons like that in the future, and I just wont be there
I’m so looking forward to starting my ‘new life’ with ‘the man’, I’m very excited about all the new stuff that’s going to happen, getting a job, looking for a new house, a home for us, finally living together for more than two months at a time, meeting new people (I’ll make sure I get some pole-dancing lessons before I leave, ladies… ), jeez, I’m even excited about buying a car over there (and that is quite something for someone that lives on a bike), but sometimes I get really scared about everything that I’m leaving behind.

What I’m trying to say is: is it possible to really understand this whole migration thing (the emotional side of it – think I’ve got the practical side pretty much sorted) or do you just jump in and hope for the best. Is it at all possible to have an idea of what starting a new life on the other end of the planet is like before you’ve done it, or do you learn by doing it???

Sorry if this post is a bit messy, not being a native speaker is a bit of a limitation when it comes to explaining emotional stuff….but I’m sure there’s someone of all you people already out there that knows what I mean….

thanks,

tanja
Old Oct 4th 2004, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

gordys is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: emotional impact of migration

This'll be the second time we've upped and moved country and it's not easy - it's what you make of it. You just need to make the most of it and remember you're doing it because you really want to. A lot of people out there only dream of doing such things but "chicken out" because they're comfortable and change scares them.

In a nutshell, you jump in and make the best of it (not hope for the best!!). Just realise that untill you settle, life's going to be very different. If it's not for you, you'll know (just give it some time) and be on the "I'm getting outa here forums".

Hope this helps
Old Oct 4th 2004, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

gordys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: emotional impact of migration

Oh, and BTW - There's loads of BEP members in Perth (I'm arriving on the 20th Oct) so there's always gonna be someone to talk to
Old Oct 4th 2004, 8:29 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by gordys
This'll be the second time we've upped and moved country and it's not easy - it's what you make of it. You just need to make the most of it and remember you're doing it because you really want to. A lot of people out there only dream of doing such things but "chicken out" because they're comfortable and change scares them.

In a nutshell, you jump in and make the best of it (not hope for the best!!). Just realise that untill you settle, life's going to be very different. If it's not for you, you'll know (just give it some time) and be on the "I'm getting outa here forums".

Hope this helps
What a good little quote....Ive moved house and changed direction quite a few times in my life(but havent actually left the country yet)and often looked at others that put up with what they may not be happy with because they are scared of "change"
Be glad you have the chance to find out wether its for you and as gordys says "make the best you can of it"...I know before I have never regretted any changes I have made in life so I dont expect to regret this one and shall be going in that frame of mind...wholehearted.....
That said I can also identify with the thoughts and feelings you are having...I think we all do...its natural....!
Old Oct 4th 2004, 9:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Tanja - have a read of the thread I resurrected a couple of days back on Culture Shock - helps you to understand a few of the emotions at least.....
Old Oct 5th 2004, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Tanja, homesickness is such a personal thing. My husband doesn't suffer from it at all, but his sister was unable to live in Australia because of it. She missed her Mum & Dad and all things Dutch, too much!

Some people miss little things. Every now and then I miss a nice English pub or Marks & Spencers or from Holland a "nieuwe haring" or "patatje met"....but these aren't really important things. It's family and friends, as you said, that you may really miss & whether you are or (aren't) able to deal with this.
Old Oct 5th 2004, 9:17 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

All I can say is if you want to do it, just go for it. Trust the word of all the people on here who have said that yes it was hard, yes it was emotional, and it was a completely new set of emotions never experienced before, but everybody survived and came out smiling on the other side.

You'll be fine - we all know it - you just have to believe it too.

Chin up!

W.