Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emmigration costs to date

Emmigration costs to date

Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

johnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to alljohnpod is a name known to all
Default Emmigration costs to date

For anyone interested in just how much the whole process migh cost I have kept a fairly accurate record of our expenses to date. It is not exhaustive and does not include things like selling house or the costs after our first 2 weeks there as we don't know what these will be yet. It is quite scary when you realise just how much it all costs and that is just the hard cash and not the emotional cost!!!

I have probably missed some minor bits off and for this I appologise - things like all the photocopying and if you have to pay to have your documents verified - luckily we didn't. We also did not use a migration agent which kept the costs down and we found the whole thing very easy and straight forward to do ourselves anyway.

Hope it is usefull for someone

Ali
Attached Files
File Type: xls
emmigrating costs to date.xls (16.0 KB, 260 views)
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Emmigration costs to date

What a good post, definitely interesting to people in the process of applying for their visas. We never kept a check of what we spent but blimey it is a lot when you see it in balck and white.

Sarah
Old Nov 16th 2007, 8:12 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Good post.

I decided somewhere along the line that it wasn't bad compared to a 2 weeks all expenses paid holiday in the Caribbean.

Good luck with everything.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:19 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest expense for us was being off the property market for 18 months.

£50,000??? £70,000???

Buzzy
Old Nov 16th 2007, 11:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
The biggest expense for us was being off the property market for 18 months.

£50,000??? £70,000???

Buzzy
In Melbourne you wouldn't have lost that much in the last 18 months. The market's only just started taking off again. It's been pretty quite over the last 3 years.

London might be a different matter.

And in theory you've probably made a few bob (calculated in £s) with the exchange rate.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Nov 16th 2007 at 11:05 am.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 8:33 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
In Melbourne you wouldn't have lost that much in the last 18 months. The market's only just started taking off again. It's been pretty quite over the last 3 years.

London might be a different matter.

And in theory you've probably made a few bob (calculated in £s) with the exchange rate.
Yeh what I meant mate was that from the date we sold our house to the date we bought land in Melbourne, the asking price of the house we sold (or local equivalent) had gone up by £70,000.

And you're right, this has been partly offset by interest on house sale money and liquidity, therefore enabling us to exchange at $2.54/£1.

OK so I was wrong, the biggest cost for us has actually been errr lettuce

Buzzy

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Nov 16th 2007 at 8:35 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Yeh what I meant mate was that from the date we sold our house to the date we bought land in Melbourne, the asking price of the house we sold (or local equivalent) had gone up by £70,000.

And you're right, this has been partly offset by interest on house sale money and liquidity, therefore enabling us to exchange at $2.54/£1.

Buzzy

£70,000 Ouch that must have hurt
lettuce, you slug you
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

Buzzy
I get that feeling when I see shares shooting up that I decided not to buy.