Reload this Page >

Emmigrate or Not ?

Wikiposts

Emmigrate or Not ?

Old Jan 4th 2003, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

captaincook is an unknown quantity at this point

I have also found 2/3 page summary type cv is acceptable + refs

One thing not sure if already mentioned. References are critical and highly valued here - phone calls by employers / agents to UK in middle of the night common (if they are interested in you) when first arriving.

My experience was they preferred phone contact to ex employers here although I note agencies in UK often just send out a written questionnaire to ex overseas employers. I have read references are reducing in their importance in Uk due to rising litigation, privacy laws etc. However in Oz, in my experience, people still speak freely when asked for a reference and I have heard people I work with give negative references over the phone that would make you cringe - real stick the knife in the back stuff.

Helps to line up all your references before you go. Get written if possible and provide them with your CV and state they are freely available to contact at any opportunity. Reduces the obstacles to employers selecting local candidates local experience which is common.

Pays to get local references work related asap. Also keep everybody sweet when you are moving between jobs !
Old Jan 5th 2003, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Twofingersalute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne - Information Required

Originally posted by Chipster
Hi All
This is my first posting on this site so I thought I would introduce myself.

I am considering migration to Australia with my wife and 2 young children of 2 years and 4 and a half years old.

I came to Australia in 1990 on a working holiday visa and fell in love with the country. I spent most of my time in Adelaide and Sydney with a short stays in Melbourne and Brisbane amongst others.

I have always been keen to migrate to Australia but my wife has always been quite reluctant.

Anyway to cut a long story short, my wife has recently agreed to consider whether a move to Australia could be the right move for us as a family.

We have no relatives in Australia. They are all in England.
That and whether we will have a better life are probably my wife's two major concerns.

We want to find out as much about the practical side of day to day living in Australia so that we can make a decision on whether we will apply.
I have spent the last 3 days searching through the postings on this board and in particular those relating to Melbourne and have found out quite a lot of info. about Australia (warts and all).

These message boards are excellent. I receive Australian News regularly and that always appears to only report the good side of Aussie life.

We are also hoping to attend the migration show in March this year at Sandown.

We have a pretty good lifestyle in the UK. I live close to where I work (I don't spend hours a day commuting).
I get good IT development tools training and have a good employer.
So a few years ago I would have jumped at the chance to emigrate to Australia but now I am more cautious as I could be giving up quite a lot.
We also have good state schools in the area were we live.

As I work in the IT industry, the word that seems to be coming out of Australia is that, as one person put it, at the moment the IT industry in Australia is a disaster.
I suppose this is because the market has been flooded and there are too few jobs with too many people chasing them.

The place we are initially trying to find out about is Melbourne, although this could change depending on what we find out about Australia.

The reasoning behind Melbourne is that it is not as expensive as Sydney (or so I'm led to believe) but it is still a big city and as I work in IT, that is where IT jobs normally are. I believe Melbourne has a large manufacturing industry.

I would be interested to hear from anyone with experience of the current state of the IT industry in Australia, and in particular Melbourne or even where the best place for IT work is in Australia in partucular Microsoft/SAP work.

Also where are the best areas to live in Melbourne, I have heard that the east side is the best side of Melbourne to live.

Many Thanks
Dave
Look be VERY VERY CAREFUL-you have to rent out for six months/i year and see how u feel-check out schools community-
we live on the east side of melbourne-Upwey actually-its near Belgrave- DONT GOING SELLING AND MOVING OVER-live here and do the working holiday thingy=the east is superior to the west side of melbourne- IT might be fine but this is not my field-suggest agency-
"We are also hoping to attend the migration show in March this year at Sandown." -i am a little worried about this-most likely it will NOT tell u anything except how wonderfull everything is-its the government way of "fooling you" into coming-u have to use YOUR OWN instinct. rent per week-$200-260 where we are depending how big a house u want-
"The reasoning behind Melbourne is that it is not as expensive as Sydney (or so I'm led to believe) but it is still a big city and as I work in IT, that is where IT jobs normally are. I believe Melbourne has a large manufacturing industry."==
that is correct....