Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emirtaes Baggage allowance

Emirtaes Baggage allowance

Old May 19th 2005, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Moonwalker will become famous soon enoughMoonwalker will become famous soon enough
Default Emirtaes Baggage allowance

hi does anyone know if emirates give you extra baggage allowance for pr visa and how would i confirm this as travel agents just say oh yes you'll get 40 kg but not put it in writing any help would be much appreciated oh by the way travelling from glasgow to perth cheers
Old May 19th 2005, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of
Default Re: Emirtaes Baggage allowance

Originally Posted by predator
hi does anyone know if emirates give you extra baggage allowance for pr visa and how would i confirm this as travel agents just say oh yes you'll get 40 kg but not put it in writing any help would be much appreciated oh by the way travelling from glasgow to perth cheers
It says on your ticket - we didn't get in cos on temp visa, others don't cos of stopovers but otherwise should be ok - worth getting confirmation from emirates in writing though.
Old May 19th 2005, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

caroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura about

We are also flying from Gla to Perth. I phoned emirates after I had booked tickets and they will give you 40kg if you can prove that you have your visa and are immigrating. All you have to do is send them copy of visa stamp and your tickets and they will arrange it. That is what Im told. When did you get ur flights booked for?
Carole
Old May 20th 2005, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

jayne+doug is an unknown quantity at this point

[Hi

We flew with emirates in January to Sydney. I booked my tickets online via their website. I contacted them to ask about the baggage allowance and was told to fax my a copy of my visa which I did. I them phoned them on their customer service number and was told I couldn't get the allowance because my visa (like all other permanent residency visas) has 'multiple travel' on it. I argued the point with the girl and she informed me that it would be up to the check in staff. I decided to take the chance and pack for the extra allowance, there was 5 of us. Anyway got to Glasgow airport worried that they might not have let us get the extra allowance and passed through check in without a hitch, just told the check in guy we were emigrating.

Sorry for the long winded answer but just wanted to point out that like most call centres and customer service they don't know their arse from their elbow. I'm more than sure you'll get your extra allowance but obviously if you can get it in writing it will save you alot of worry, after all you'll have enough to worry about.

Good luck
Old May 20th 2005, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Moonwalker will become famous soon enoughMoonwalker will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by caroledouglas
We are also flying from Gla to Perth. I phoned emirates after I had booked tickets and they will give you 40kg if you can prove that you have your visa and are immigrating. All you have to do is send them copy of visa stamp and your tickets and they will arrange it. That is what Im told. When did you get ur flights booked for?
Carole
Hi carole booked for 20th july glasgow to perth booked with flight centre glasgow no phsical tickets now e-tickets flight centre faxed my visa to emirates said 40 kg is ok but when i asked for it in writing neither flight centre or emirates said they could do that my big worry is that when i show up for flight with 40 kg they will refuse and say only 20 kg
Old May 21st 2005, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Hi carole booked for 20th july glasgow to perth booked with flight centre glasgow no phsical tickets now e-tickets flight centre faxed my visa to emirates said 40 kg is ok but when i asked for it in writing neither flight centre or emirates said they could do that my big worry is that when i show up for flight with 40 kg they will refuse and say only 20 kg

just bumping this up to see if there is any response to my post thanks
Old May 22nd 2005, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

WEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant futureWEBBS has a brilliant future

just bumping this up to see if there is any response to my post thanks
Predator,

Family and I (5) Flew with emirates from glasgow on 19th April. We had booked thru e-bookers and were hopeful that we wouldn't have too much baggage as we had already sent a 20ft cointainer over a couple of weeks earlier. Our tickets each had 20kg allowance printed on them. Got to check in and found we had 168 kg..... 68 kg over our limit. The girl said that we would have to pay for some of this as excess baggage and gave us , i think an extra 20-30kg allowance. She then calculated the extra at 33 pounds sterling per kilo which came to 688 quid. When I picked myself off the floor I noticed that she had called her supervisor who when he came over asked us for a letter stating that we were indeed emigrating. It seems that the visa in passport didn't suffce and fortunately we had the visa grant letter from DIMIA in one of the 9 cases. It only took me 10 minutes to find the bloody letter and after we showed it to him he said that we were entitled to 40 kg each and were now well under the allowance. PHEW!!.
I would say that it would always be a good idea to arrage/agree beforehand, helps keep the stress to a minimum.

Hope this helps and good luck

Peter
Old May 22nd 2005, 4:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Its been said on here before - always get it in writing, never assume you will get the extra baggage allowance, either get it printed on your ticket, or get an email or letter from the airline.

If anyone does get stuck at Gatwick or Heathrow (and possibly others in the UK) Excess Baggage Co have offices in the terminals, so buy a new bag and send the stuff Freight with them - almost certainly cheaper than paying the airline.
Old May 22nd 2005, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by WEBBS
Predator,

Family and I (5) Flew with emirates from glasgow on 19th April. We had booked thru e-bookers and were hopeful that we wouldn't have too much baggage as we had already sent a 20ft cointainer over a couple of weeks earlier. Our tickets each had 20kg allowance printed on them. Got to check in and found we had 168 kg..... 68 kg over our limit. The girl said that we would have to pay for some of this as excess baggage and gave us , i think an extra 20-30kg allowance. She then calculated the extra at 33 pounds sterling per kilo which came to 688 quid. When I picked myself off the floor I noticed that she had called her supervisor who when he came over asked us for a letter stating that we were indeed emigrating. It seems that the visa in passport didn't suffce and fortunately we had the visa grant letter from DIMIA in one of the 9 cases. It only took me 10 minutes to find the bloody letter and after we showed it to him he said that we were entitled to 40 kg each and were now well under the allowance. PHEW!!.
I would say that it would always be a good idea to arrage/agree beforehand, helps keep the stress to a minimum.

Hope this helps and good luck

Peter

thanks webbs but i cannot get it in writing from flight centre or emirates hope the grant letter will work on the day cheers