Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emirates Seating.. Advice Please :)

Emirates Seating.. Advice Please :)

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

walkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant future
Default Emirates Seating.. Advice Please :)

Hey everyone, in 2 weeks time I will be flying with Emirates from Newcastle (UK) to Dubai, then Dubai to Brisbane.

I have realised that I can log onto the Emirates website and actually pre-book any available seating but I really don't know where is best to sit. I am 6ft 1" so would like a little leg room

I have attached a screenshot of the current available seating. Any advice would be great. Any square that is grey is an available seat.

Thank you all in advance
Attached Thumbnails Emirates Seating.. Advice Please :)-plan.jpg  
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Barkers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emirates Seating.. Advice Please :)

If there's two of you always go for the twin seats to the rear. But not the very back!

Works for us every time.

Cheers.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

walkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant futurewalkerroo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Barkers
If there's two of you always go for the twin seats to the rear. But not the very back!

Works for us every time.

Cheers.
Thanks for your quick reply.

Forgot to mention, it's only me travelling.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

I would ask for the emercency exist seat but they need to see you to ensure you haven't broken an arm or something as you would need to assist in an emercency, also it is very cold sat there but worth it for the leg room
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:44 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

The website below is always helpful for seat advice on most of the major airlines.

http://www.seatguru.com/
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

EdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really nice

As long as you're skinny and tall it won't matter where you sit to be honest as the width of the seats is the issue rather the the leg room......

Emirates very helpfully squeeze in another row of seats down the back (10 rather than 9 across). I'm utterly baffled by how many people reccommend them as no matter how good the service or AVOD is, it's bl**dy uncomfortable and they're not cheap enough to make it worthwhile.

I'm not fat but the sensation was similar to that of a battery hen and being wedged in a middle seat, I was wearing my meals while waiting in Dubai.

OP - check with seatguru as others have suggested and good luck, it's a long flight no matter who's driving the bus.

Edna
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 12:41 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walkerroo
Hey everyone, in 2 weeks time I will be flying with Emirates from Newcastle (UK) to Dubai, then Dubai to Brisbane.

I have realised that I can log onto the Emirates website and actually pre-book any available seating but I really don't know where is best to sit. I am 6ft 1" so would like a little leg room

I have attached a screenshot of the current available seating. Any advice would be great. Any square that is grey is an available seat.

Thank you all in advance
I've sat in 46D and it does have a nice sense of space as the aisle widens there.

It is true that Emirates have an extra seat per row compared to what is 'normal'....but, the difference in seat width between them and say Singapore Airlines 777 is tiny, something like 5mm, I think a lot of the space has been reclaimed from the aisles which are very narrow.

It looks like you are currently in row 50....I wouldn't sit there...too close to the toilet traffic & large galley at the back.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I've sat in 46D and it does have a nice sense of space as the aisle widens there.

It looks like you are currently in row 50....I wouldn't sit there...too close to the toilet traffic & large galley at the back.
I'd agree with row 46 but check on seatguru to see if you've got electronic equipment under the seat in front as that restricts your footroom a little. I think they will be aisle side which makes window side preferable, so maybe 48K would be better. Also the seats in front of row 46 are offset so your ICE screen isn't square on. Definitely not the very back row because people queue for the loo and the seats don't recline.

I'm size 14 and can't say I noticed the seats were any narrower than BA/Qantas who we used the year before.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:31 am
UK-Syd Feb 2009 = HAPPY!

lerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to all

Originally Posted by walkerroo

Thank you all in advance
Get there to be at the desk ready for check-in opening. Then you ask for the extra leg-room seat. As long as you aren't disabled in a way which would prevent slower exiting of others in an emergency, you'll be allowed.

I always do that and also tend to ask for a window, that means you normally only have one person sitting next to you too. Depends on the aircraft I think tho...
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:49 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
Definitely not the very back row because people queue for the loo and the seats don't recline.
We have sat in the back row twice and the seats have always reclined. We like them as we can have our seats back as much as possible without worrying about the person behind.

Originally Posted by lerato
Get there to be at the desk ready for check-in opening. Then you ask for the extra leg-room seat.
Surely this would only work if the flight wasn't full? Every time we've flown with Emirates (3 return trips this year) most seats were allocated even before we got to the online check in 24 hours pre flight.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
We have sat in the back row twice and the seats have always reclined. We like them as we can have our seats back as much as possible without worrying about the person behind.
Maybe it depends on which type of plane then, they definitely didn't on our last flight. Can't remember what plane that was, a jumbo of some sort but not one of the new ones.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:08 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
Maybe it depends on which type of plane then, they definitely didn't on our last flight. Can't remember what plane that was, a jumbo of some sort but not one of the new ones.
On some, but not all Emirates 777 those back row seats are noted on the seatmap during online checkin as 'limited comfort' seats - which I assume means limited or no recline. I saw it when I did my last checkin. So yes, it will depend on the exact config of the plane you are on.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:17 pm
UK-Syd Feb 2009 = HAPPY!

lerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to all

Originally Posted by herrchook

Surely this would only work if the flight wasn't full? Every time we've flown with Emirates (3 return trips this year) most seats were allocated even before we got to the online check in 24 hours pre flight.
Not sure - I've never not been able to get the seat when I've turned up early enough. As I think a lot of people don't pre-select seats before getting there. Might be wrong but otherwise I'd have thought everyone would have selected those seats - I'm not sure they can allocate those ones before arrival due to the health and age requirements.