Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emirates flight, 8 hour wait, any hotel?

Emirates flight, 8 hour wait, any hotel?

Old Apr 18th 2011, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of
Default Emirates flight, 8 hour wait, any hotel?

Anyone know if Emirates still offer hotel for 8 hours in Dubai, can't find the thread i read on it ??
Old Apr 18th 2011, 10:34 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emirates flight, 8 hour wait, any hotel?

http://www.emirates.com/english/plan...stopovers.aspx

I don't think you would be eligible because the rule is that the FIRST AVAILABLE connecting flight must be more than 8 hours away. Whereas I think you've already said there is a short connection available, your TA just didn't book it?

You could innocently ask your local EK office and see what they say.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of

Hiya

there was a shorter flight but longer wait in Dubai..
called about changing it, can't till I get to Dubai could change it here at the cost of £125pp, so just left it...email emirates and ask. thanks
Old Apr 18th 2011, 11:07 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rackcatt
Hiya

there was a shorter flight but longer wait in Dubai..
called about changing it, can't till I get to Dubai could change it here at the cost of £125pp, so just left it...email emirates and ask. thanks
I get ya.

You probably are eligible then because your one-way fare probably books into one of the applicable fare classes.

If you took the longer stopover (the one that gets to SYD earlier) you probably wouldn't be eligible though...so maybe your TA (accidentally) did get something right!
Old Apr 18th 2011, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

:
Originally Posted by bcworld
I get ya.

You probably are eligible then because your one-way fare probably books into one of the applicable fare classes.

If you took the longer stopover (the one that gets to SYD earlier) you probably wouldn't be eligible though...so maybe your TA (accidentally) did get something right!
watch this space...i will call em tommorow
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

I tried this in February although to be fare, there was an earlier connection so I got a knock back.

Emirates also provide a free meal for stopovers longer than 4 hrs I believe. I ended up booking the holiday inn express at the airport for about £50. They have a free shuttle bus that picks you up.

If you need any info let me know.

Last edited by mvagusta; Apr 19th 2011 at 5:33 am. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 19th 2011, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mvagusta
I tried this in February although to be fare, there was an earlier connection so I got a knock back.

Emirates also provide a free meal for stopovers longer than 4 hrs I believe. I ended up booking the holiday inn express at the airport for about £50. They have a free shuttle bus that picks you up.

If you need any info let me know.
called them today, got a room not sure name of hotel forgot to ask lol !!
They said its available to people for 8 hours or more..x
thanks for your help
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rackcatt
called them today, got a room not sure name of hotel forgot to ask lol !!
They said its available to people for 8 hours or more..x
thanks for your help
I think you'll find that it's the Holiday in express at the airport.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mvagusta
I think you'll find that it's the Holiday in express at the airport.
great thanks
Old Apr 20th 2011, 1:02 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

if your flight arrives around 10-11pm, allow for about an hour to 1 1/2 hours to go through immigration, and a similar amount of time to go back in in the morning.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by newjersey
if your flight arrives around 10-11pm, allow for about an hour to 1 1/2 hours to go through immigration, and a similar amount of time to go back in in the morning.
Thanks i will do xx
Old Apr 21st 2011, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

DerekM is an unknown quantity at this point

The last time I tried to get through immigration, I gave up after an hour and half. The hotel was a bus ride away and so I felt it was not worth it especially if there was any delay getting back in! Mind you thats a couple of years ago...might be better now?
Old Apr 21st 2011, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DerekM
The last time I tried to get through immigration, I gave up after an hour and half. The hotel was a bus ride away and so I felt it was not worth it especially if there was any delay getting back in! Mind you thats a couple of years ago...might be better now?
Not sure about the other airlines but you can pay to use the Emirates business class lounge which includes showers, coffees, food, etc. Supposed to be well worth it for stays of 3 hours plus.

I've migrated with just a 4 and 8 year old (OH already here) and staff and other passengers were fabulous, kids usually travel well.

Recommendations include:

Care mattresses under the kids and a change of clothes as they're likely to spill drinks ... next time I might take one for myself.

Practice apologising profusely.

If they're at all faddy take food they like to last the first leg and the first stop - won't survive too well after that.

Be open to all offers of distraction.

Have fun.

C
Old Apr 21st 2011, 12:27 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DerekM
I did not travel through Dubai with kids (only through Singapore and Bangkok where the staff was most helpful), but it might (just) be a shameless get in front of the line free ticket. It won't cost anything to ask an attendant if they could help you get through. And if someone gets pissy about it, smile, show them your middle finger and mutter something like "up yours". You will never see them again anyway
Old Apr 21st 2011, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newjersey
A lot of people flying into Dubai use the Marhaba service (there's another one too but apparently not as good) https://www.marhabaservices.com/index.aspx. They're great, they meet you at the plane with a golf buggy, cart you to a waiting lounge and provide you with water, dates, sweets etc, while they do your immigration and luggage. Then they whisk you straight through to your waiting taxi, bus or whatever. Not really expensive and worth every cent (especially with a tribe of kids in tow).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.