Reload this Page >

Emirates Baggage Allowance.

Emirates Baggage Allowance.

Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:08 am
Just Joined

piperjock will become famous soon enough
Default Emirates Baggage Allowance.

Hi,

My girl and I have just booked our flights to Perth with Emirates. Going on a 2 year employee sponsored visa. We booked a return flight so we could come back in September to get married, and since trying to apply for extra baggage allowance with emirates due to emigrating, they basically told us to stick it up our backsides as we'd booked a return ticket and the 50Kg allowance was only applicable to single way flights.

Has anyone else on here encountered this kind of problem and managed to get your extra baggage allowance free of charge? (Standard allowance is a measly 20Kg).

Think I might contact an Emirates manager to complain.... Hmmmmmm!

DOn't know if I've got my point over here, so I apologise if I just had arant.

Regards,
Jock.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emirates Baggage Allowance.

Was this one of those Emirates flights booked through Moving Planet? If so check the conditions with them.

Otherwise, it's well documented (on this forum anyway) that the flight must be on a one-way ticket to qualify for the free extra baggage allowance - you don't really have grounds to complain unless you can show that someone at Emirates told you otherwise before you booked.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

chasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the rough

The rules are that you need to book via the Moving Planet website and that it has to be a one-way ticket.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Holbrob is an unknown quantity at this point

I booked tickets via the MovingPlanet website and i am still having problems getting Emirates to sort it out!! Got a nice lady in the online department working on it now!!

Criteria as follows:
- UK departing passengers on UK passports only.
- Passengers must hold a valid permanent migration visa stating over 1 year stay. No multiple entry or visitors visas accepted.
- Tickets must be one way (no return or open tickets)
- You must NOT have entered on the visa already.
- Infants are not entitled to the increase in allowance.

Hope this helps?
Old Jan 20th 2009, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

chasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Holbrob
I booked tickets via the MovingPlanet website and i am still having problems getting Emirates to sort it out!! Got a nice lady in the online department working on it now!!

Criteria as follows:
- UK departing passengers on UK passports only.
- Passengers must hold a valid permanent migration visa stating over 1 year stay. No multiple entry or visitors visas accepted.
- Tickets must be one way (no return or open tickets)
- You must NOT have entered on the visa already.
- Infants are not entitled to the increase in allowance.

Hope this helps?
Interesting....I tried booking some flights with them and when I went to pay, the price shot up from the MovingPlanet discounted one. The Emirates person blamed my computer and said I should clear out my cache. Haven't tried again since to confirm if this was right.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Ah,

Been a Lonnnnnng saga with Emirates. For an airline with such a good reputation, I've just had some serious bad customer service from them. Not impressed. However, I did get one woman, from the online support team aswell, who passed me onto a couple of freight companies. First beingEmirates Express, but they were quite expensive, then Sky Cargo (www.skycargo.com), who also do work for Emirates. Emirates Express were going to charge £200 for the first 20Kg's, then £3.50 for every Kg after. Sky cargo was going to cost £118 for 20Kg, and only £40 extra if we doubled that.

I'm at alot more ease now. I hope that info can help someone here aswell.

Cheers,
Jock.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Got the baggage upgrade sorted out. Just waiting for the email confirmation first!!

The ladies in the UK online support dept were great and helped me from start to finish. I cannot question their level of service.

The price did all kinds of wierd things and at one point it looked like i was getting 5 one way flights for £290!! I have been told i have been charged £2976 for the flights, which was around £120 higher than the MP discounted fare. I will check the amount on my next CC statement though just in case!!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Holbrob
Got the baggage upgrade sorted out. Just waiting for the email confirmation first!!

The ladies in the UK online support dept were great and helped me from start to finish. I cannot question their level of service.

The price did all kinds of wierd things and at one point it looked like i was getting 5 one way flights for £290!! I have been told i have been charged £2976 for the flights, which was around £120 higher than the MP discounted fare. I will check the amount on my next CC statement though just in case!!
I'll second the helpfullness (not sure if that's a word!) of the team in the online support dept. However keep an eye out to see if they send you confirmation via email, I had to follow it up with 2 phonecalls and 2 emails
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:08 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by piperjock
Think I might contact an Emirates manager to complain.... Hmmmmmm!
Complain about what ? Emirates position seems pretty reasonable. If your visa is for example a 457, then its not even a permanent residence visa. Other airlines dont even allow that visa type to be eligible for extra baggage even if you book a one way flight.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 12:11 am
Just Joined

Got my problem sorted out in the end centurian. But my complaint would have been more to do with the level of customer service I was receiving as apposed to the rules that were in place.

On another note: You get more baggage allowance for most 2 week holidays these days as opposed to a moving to another country on a 457 visa, for example.

Just my tuppens worth...

Regards,
Jock.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Got my confirmation email yesterday afternnoon, didn't have to chase!! Just waiting to see the credit card statement now!!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

kiran m is an unknown quantity at this point

we also have 4 one way tickets with Emirates on Permanent Visa, & im a MP member but booked the flights directly so they didn't allow the extra baggage !! Moving with young family to other part of the world on 20 kg each... !! Rubbish customer care , it stinks .. Flights are not cheap with Emirates but we were expecting top quality service & wont be booking with them in future !
Loads more cheaper airlines & allow more baggage..
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Someone else having a bad time with Emirates. I booked a return flight to Melbourne today and clicked the 'return by' date as being 30 August instead of 30 July. Bugger thinks I. I rang up Emirates and explained the situation and the chap said that's OK, hold on and I'll change it for you. He did it whilst I was online and sent me confirmation emails to me whilst I was on hold and then said that I would be charged £300 for the amendment when we went to checkin. WTF! I can't shout at anyone coz it's my fault, but £300 for about 3 minutes typing - crickey, I wish I could be paid that. Oh then when I hung up and checked the emails I realised they had only changed it for 3 instead of 4, so I had to ring them up to ask for it to be done - cheers then!

Sorry to hog your thread, just getting it off me chest and hoping it serves as a salutory lesson to others.

Oh and good luck with the wedding.
Lorraine
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
Someone else having a bad time with Emirates. I booked a return flight to Melbourne today and clicked the 'return by' date as being 30 August instead of 30 July. Bugger thinks I. I rang up Emirates and explained the situation and the chap said that's OK, hold on and I'll change it for you. He did it whilst I was online and sent me confirmation emails to me whilst I was on hold and then said that I would be charged £300 for the amendment when we went to checkin. WTF! I can't shout at anyone coz it's my fault, but £300 for about 3 minutes typing - crickey, I wish I could be paid that. Oh then when I hung up and checked the emails I realised they had only changed it for 3 instead of 4, so I had to ring them up to ask for it to be done - cheers then!
Ouch! That is so unfair!! How much of that is difference in air-fare though? I was told it was £75 for each ammendment. If that's the case it could be that the flights in July are £25 more expensive. I doubt it though - looks like a very hefty ammendment fee!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chasmw
Ouch! That is so unfair!! How much of that is difference in air-fare though? I was told it was £75 for each ammendment. If that's the case it could be that the flights in July are £25 more expensive. I doubt it though - looks like a very hefty ammendment fee!

No, I'm afraid it's £75 amendment fee per booking ie, x 4 as there's 4 of us. Damn, Damn!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.