Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emirates 40kg of luggage withdrawn !!!

Emirates 40kg of luggage withdrawn !!!

Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Rideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Emirates 40kg of luggage withdrawn !!!

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
I spoke to the sales desk at Glasgow Airport for Emirates and they said if we
go in person (or talk to them direct on the 'phone) and buy our tickets from them we could negotiate stuff like the 40kg thingy.
From memory and I think it worked out about £100 more expensive for 5 of us to book in person (rather than a search engine on the 'net) but we would have fully flexible tickets and better luggage allowance.
I will let you know how we get on....dont hold your breath as the house aint sold yet!
HKA
always difficult the extra baggage issue.
If I weigh 10 stone and have 20kg and some-one else is twice my weight, shouldn't I have extra allowance.
There must be an average passenger weight.....
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: A Small Village in Somerset.......out in the sticks
memewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of light

I read somewhere that airlines are going to start weighing people that they think look overweight and start charging them more because of it....

How embarrasing would that be...

I can sort of understand why they would want to bring this in, but they could add the weight thing to an online booking, but then your expecting peeps to be honest about their weight!!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Rideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by memewest
I read somewhere that airlines are going to start weighing people that they think look overweight and start charging them more because of it....

I can sort of understand why they would want to bring this in, but they could add the weight thing to an online booking, but then your expecting peeps to be honest about their weight!!
if you sign-up and transfer your money via Hifx, one of their 'exclusive' deals is special Quantas one-way economy flights, additional discounts for childern and infants and double baggage allowance.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

I managed to get 40kg's on my one way ticket just by asking nicely and sending a copy of my visa across by email.

It states on my ticket that I have a 40kg allowance so will be bloody annoyed if I turn up at the airport and I have to pay for the extra. The price of the tckets was bad enough, could have got returns for the price of the one way. :curse:
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:18 am
Just Joined

TheRed will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Glapper
Just a word of warning for everyone wanting to use Emirates to fly to Oz when emigrating. We have been told today that they no longer give you the extra baggage allowance. They did give you 40kg of luggage per person but have now withdrawn it.

We have already booked our flight over with them after they confirmed that we would be getting the extra allowance but I'm having a right fight with them just to honour what they confirmed only 2 weeks ago.
We went to check in at Emirates desk and they wanted to charge us 4 grand in excess baggage upon check in - I nearly had heart failure. Granted we we very over the limit but still 4 grand, anyway we visited the excess baggage company at the airport (iot was Manchester but most have them) and they charged us 407 for the same amount of luggage. It arrived 10 days later than the rest but still a massive saving so make sure you pack your suitcases accordingly and send the right ones through with you (we didn't unfortunately but thats another story altogether).

Good luck
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

winedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TheRed
We went to check in at Emirates desk and they wanted to charge us 4 grand in excess baggage upon check in - I nearly had heart failure. Granted we we very over the limit but still 4 grand, anyway we visited the excess baggage company at the airport (iot was Manchester but most have them) and they charged us 407 for the same amount of luggage. It arrived 10 days later than the rest but still a massive saving so make sure you pack your suitcases accordingly and send the right ones through with you (we didn't unfortunately but thats another story altogether).

Good luck
hey you....how's things??
We flew emirates, and was well over....AND we are only on a 457 so DON'T get the extra allowance. Just kept the woman chatting at Birmingham......and we sailed through....think it is the luck of the draw. We did have the money to cover it just in case though.

Good luck to OP, and glad to hear you made it Wayne.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Kryptonix will become famous soon enoughKryptonix will become famous soon enough

I've never understood why Golf equipment is not part of your baggage allowance and can go on for free when other sports have to pay. I've no problem with golf but if you're taking equipment that is the same size as a golf bag and the same weight then surely that should go free also.?

Granted if you're taking a surfboard, this is oversized equipment and I can understand being charged. Maybe I should stuff extra clothes in a golf bag and pretend it's golf equipment?
Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by winedonju
hey you....how's things??
We flew emirates, and was well over....AND we are only on a 457 so DON'T get the extra allowance. Just kept the woman chatting at Birmingham......and we sailed through....think it is the luck of the draw. We did have the money to cover it just in case though.

Good luck to OP, and glad to hear you made it Wayne.
We are going permanent...but I think a 457 gets the extra if you read this email I got today from Emirates....

"Thank you for your enquiry.

We no longer give any migrant allowance to direct bookings or booking made through a travel agency however, we currently have a promotion running with www.movingplanet.net which gives you an entitlement of 30kgs extra baggage allowance, that's 50kgs in total.

You can access details of the offer by logging in as a member on the Moving Planet website, however this is subject to various controls:

• It is valid for UK departing passengers holding British passports only.
• The passenger must hold a valid migration visa stating over 1 year stay.
• It is not valid if you have a stopover (exit the airport) in Dubai or anywhere else on the way.
• Tickets must be one-way (no return date or open returns).
• You must NOT have entered the country on the visa already.

Kind regards"

I think that means they include any visa over 1 year...
HKA
x
Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:36 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by memewest

That wouldn't happen for a variety of reasons, mainly for anti-discriminatory law suits I would think.

However there would be nothing to stop an airline refusing to allow a passenger to board because of their size. In the modern age of increasing obesity perhaps being fit to fly should include being able to actually fit in the seat you purchase.

One of my worst fears would be to be sat next to some right fat bastard in economy whose rolls invade my own personal space. I think I might be prosecuted by the end of long haul flight for air rage
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kryptonix

Granted if you're taking a surfboard, this is oversized equipment and I can understand being charged. Maybe I should stuff extra clothes in a golf bag and pretend it's golf equipment?
We are taking 40Kg each including a bike and a surfboard with us on Singapore Air for free!
(Well they told us it's free- I hope there aren't any nasty surprises)
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Kryptonix will become famous soon enoughKryptonix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Gazzap
We are taking 40Kg each including a bike and a surfboard with us on Singapore Air for free!
Swweeet! Just as well you're not going with Emirates then by the sounds of it.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

stepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nicestepbeanie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gazzap
Just spoke to Singapore this morning, told them emirates had stopped the 40kg allowance. They told us no sign of Singapore doing the same thing & even if they did decide to follow suit they would still honour any bookings that had been made before the change.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Cool, thanks good to know..cheers
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kryptonix
Swweeet! Just as well you're not going with Emirates then by the sounds of it.
We almost did! Phew....
Old Sep 19th 2008, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stepbeanie
Just spoke to Singapore this morning, told them emirates had stopped the 40kg allowance. They told us no sign of Singapore doing the same thing & even if they did decide to follow suit they would still honour any bookings that had been made before the change.
Thank god we fly tomorrow and i have 40kg (x2 cases) in my hall way

minibelle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.