Wikiposts

Emirates

Old Jul 12th 2004, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Emirates

Yes I know that there have been loads of threads about this before, but there are loads of newbies now who might have some input to make.

I know Pollyana had a rotten time with Emirates, and I am not really looking forward to flying with them. However, they offered us 50 kilos each and 50% discount for the kids so we could not refuse.

We have flown with Singapore twice and they are fantastic but they only offered 20 k
All comments welcome
Old Jul 12th 2004, 7:07 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emirates

Originally posted by debsy

We have flown with Singapore twice and they are fantastic but they only offered 20 k
All comments welcome
Their planes only have 2 engines.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Al H is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard lots of good things re Emirates, although haven't flown on them yet. I would probably be chosing between them and Singapore, depending on flight times/price

Alastair
Old Jul 12th 2004, 7:13 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

They use boeing 777's which, in my learned opinion, are far superior to all other planes. They have seat back tv's and are very comfortable and quiet. Dont worry about the 2 engines, they have to pass loads of safety tests in order to fly, and if needs be, they could fly for hours on one engine. I would take this plane any day over a 747. The size of a 777 engine is the same width as the fuselage of a 737...they are massive!

http://www.airsafe.com/events/airlines/emirates.htm

http://www.airsafe.com/events/models/b777.htm

That should put your mind at rest!

Have a good trip!

Lucy
x
Attached Thumbnails Emirates-airlinersnetphotoid510651%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old Jul 12th 2004, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by renth
Their planes only have 2 engines.
:scared:
Old Jul 12th 2004, 7:17 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

A picture of the Ka'bah pops up every now and then with an arrow ponting to Mecca
Old Jul 12th 2004, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by lucyb
They use boeing 777's which, in my learned opinion, are far superior to all other planes. They have seat back tv's and are very comfortable and quiet. Dont worry about the 2 engines, they have to pass loads of safety tests in order to fly, and if needs be, they could fly for hours on one engine. I would take this plane any day over a 747. The size of a 777 engine is the same width as the fuselage of a 737...they are massive!

http://www.airsafe.com/events/airlines/emirates.htm

http://www.airsafe.com/events/models/b777.htm

That should put your mind at rest!

Have a good trip!

Lucy
x
Thanks Lucy
Old Jul 12th 2004, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

A picture of the Ka'bah pops up every now and then with an arrow ponting to Mecca
Used to all that stuff
Old Jul 12th 2004, 7:20 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally posted by lucyb
They have seat back tv's
They also have a camera in the nose and on the underside of the plane.

Great for watching take off and landing on your seatback telly
Old Jul 12th 2004, 7:22 pm
(It's not my real name)

Used to all that stuff
That's normally my queue to call the hostie over.

"Another G&T please love"
Old Jul 12th 2004, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Whats the nosh and entertainment like renth?
Old Jul 12th 2004, 7:27 pm
(It's not my real name)

Whats the nosh and entertainment like renth?
Very good indeed.

The plane from the UK (well I can only speak about Gatwick) is brand spanking new and has big screens in the seatback.

The one out of Dubai is slightly older (to Perth, anyway) with a smaller seatback telly.

Food is fine, plenty of legroom.

My favourite is the trivial pursuit game you play agains the other passengers, you enter your name and seat number and play. The time just flies by.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

asfry is an unknown quantity at this point

Although it is true the 777 only has two engines, they are actually substantially bigger than the enginers on the 747's. Plus the fact, as it's a new(ish) plane, the engines are more advanced and are able to produce more power. So I've been told by a friend working for BAE Systems.

We flew on a 777 from Manchester to Singapore and then had a 747 from Singapore to Sydney. The 747 was awful, really cramped and seats not as comfy. Gimme a 777 anyday. The seat configuaration on Singapore Airlines is far better on the 777 in my opinion.

All that said, 50 kg's each is impressive and would swing my vote too probably. I believe Qantas will do 50 aswell, but never flown with them. Haven't heard the best of reviews about them though.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 7:30 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

All Nippon Airways have that on their 747's. I imagine it's quite common.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 7:32 pm
(It's not my real name)

To Perth Emirates wins hands down in my opinion.

I wouldn't fly any other airline, in fact I'm about to book my trip back to the UK this Christmas with Emirates.

I was just stirring with my point abourt 2 engines.

I used to be a baggage handler at Gatwick and you could just tell the 777 was the best plane out of them all. Solidly built and powerful. Better than any Airbus that's for sure.

The 777 also has a proper control column, Airbusses have a little joystick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.