Reload this Page >

Emirate flights -practical issues

Emirate flights -practical issues

Old Jul 3rd 2007, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

simon and jenean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emirate flights -practical issues

Hi

Really hoping there are some people who can help with any of my questions, I will really appreciate it.

We are probably going to get an Emirate flight from Birmingham (I think they tend to go at 2.15pm), with 2hr transfer time in Dubai and then onto Perth, arriving in Perth 5.30pm (Perth time).

Has anyone done this flight or similar? I have looked at lot of old posts on flights but still have the following questions:

1. What's the situation with drinks/snacks. Are they included in flight price, trolleys constantly going up and down??? What's the food quality like.

2. Are meals served at normal times UK time, or do they tend to try to adjust you to whatever time zone you are in?

3. Same with lowering lights for sleep. We have got an 8year old and nearly 3 year old and thought this flight would be good as it gets to Dubai something like 9pm UK time and with the quick transfer time this would then mean they would be ready for sleep for the second longer part of the flight, waking up shortly before we land (You can live and dream).

4. What is the entertainment system like for kids. Can you access films etc at any time or do you have to watch them when they are on?

5. I think I've read that Emirates is the only one with four seats together in the middle aisle, is this right and what are these seats like, any ones to avoid?

6. Assuming that luggage automatically gets transferred to the next flight so you just have to worry about checking yourself in for the next flight?

I think I will feel a bit more prepared if I know some of these things as I am dreading it with my youngest. Recently went on only 31/2 hr flight to Corfu and it was difficult to keep her occupied.

Any help appreciated

Jenean
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

mickandtrace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emirate flights -practical issues

Answer to 1. Yes - drinks and snacks are included and the food is good as you get a menu and you have a choice of two different meals.
2. They adjust to the time zones.
3. Lights do get dimmed.
4. You can start a film when you want to and with a choice of over 100 films, tv programs, comedy etc.... I am sure there is something for you all.
5. Middle seats are not to bad at all but not sure of the ones to avoid.
6. Thats right - all you have to do is get to the right check-in desk with just your hand luggage that you take onboard as when you get off at Dubai you must take everything with you.

I hope this helps a little bit for you. (by the way we did Emirates - Heathrow - Dubai-
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

mickandtrace is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry missed out the end by saying Emirates - Heathrow - Dubai - Singapore - Brisbane) I personally would fly with no other airline to Australia.

Tracey
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 2:58 pm
Now an expat!

MonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really nice

Originally Posted by simon and jenean
Hi

Really hoping there are some people who can help with any of my questions, I will really appreciate it.

We are probably going to get an Emirate flight from Birmingham (I think they tend to go at 2.15pm), with 2hr transfer time in Dubai and then onto Perth, arriving in Perth 5.30pm (Perth time).

Has anyone done this flight or similar? I have looked at lot of old posts on flights but still have the following questions:

1. What's the situation with drinks/snacks. Are they included in flight price, trolleys constantly going up and down??? What's the food quality like.

2. Are meals served at normal times UK time, or do they tend to try to adjust you to whatever time zone you are in?

3. Same with lowering lights for sleep. We have got an 8year old and nearly 3 year old and thought this flight would be good as it gets to Dubai something like 9pm UK time and with the quick transfer time this would then mean they would be ready for sleep for the second longer part of the flight, waking up shortly before we land (You can live and dream).

4. What is the entertainment system like for kids. Can you access films etc at any time or do you have to watch them when they are on?

5. I think I've read that Emirates is the only one with four seats together in the middle aisle, is this right and what are these seats like, any ones to avoid?

6. Assuming that luggage automatically gets transferred to the next flight so you just have to worry about checking yourself in for the next flight?

I think I will feel a bit more prepared if I know some of these things as I am dreading it with my youngest. Recently went on only 31/2 hr flight to Corfu and it was difficult to keep her occupied.

Any help appreciated

Jenean
Good choice of airline!
I did this flight in March, easy transfers through the airport in Dubai, just carry your hand luggage.
Food was great, plenty of it to, had to ask for drinks though, as they tend not to go round very regular with trollys, only at meal and snack times.
Entertainment system is great, loads of films to start when you want, loads for kids. Lights dimmed for sleeping, fibre optics in the celing for starry night effect!
Locate your gate when you get to Dubai bfore you go shopping, eating, as it could be quite a walk from the dutyfree areas. No problems using visa debit at the airport.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all

Try not to get seats next to the toilet as you wont get any rest with people standing up beside you waiting to use the loo!
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

YvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really niceYvonnePaul is just really nice

Hi Simon and Jenean,

all of the above is correct. I would add a couple of things though - point 4 - we changed make of planes from a Boeing to an Airbus and they have different entertainment systems. The entertainment on the flight from Dubai to Perth was not as good as from Glasgow to Dubai. There was far less choice.

The important thing to remember is to get off the plane in Dubai quickly - especially since you have kids. We made the mistake of thinking 2 hours would be plenty time but due to our politeness in letting everyone off first and then the 1hour wait on the transfer bus PLUS the lack of arrival security barriers (there was only 2 to go through for about 3 whole planes worth of people - it ended up in a "if you're not fast you're last" senario. All this meant that we had to run to get to the departure desk as our names were being shouted from the tannoy along with "last call for.."!!! That part was a nightmare. Be prepared to push your way to the front when you land!!

The flights and flight attendants are brilliant though - we had two teenagers with us and they had a great time.....18 hours to play computer games and sit in front of films..brilliant!

Yvonne
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

annb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant future

Ive just flown from Perth to Manchester for a 4wk hol alone with my 6mth old and 2.5yr old on emirates. We sat in row 8 in the 4 seats across the middle, this is the bassinet row, it was good as we had the whole row to ourselves and it was the first row of the economy seating and of course thre is a bit of space in front of you, but I wouldnt suggest it for your older kids as the armrests dont lift up so you cant lift them up for a lie down. I think you would pretty much find any seats in the plane to be fine no one place better than any other.
The meals were great, kids meals were fine but my 2yr old doesnt eat so he would say they were rubbish!!! He got eggs/sausage/tomato for brekkie, chips and chicken nuggets for dinner, beans chips and some other turkey twizzler style thing for lunch and some sandwhiches for a snack. Plus a snack box filled with chocolate/pringles/biscuits which I swiftly removed!!!! I had to take lots of snacks on for him as he is fussy! The kids 'goody bag' is great, its a little backpack on one leg and a little holdall bag on the other, along with mini eyemasks, a glove puppet, colouring book, pencils
You can check out what films are on your flight on the emirates website, there was quite a wide range of films which I never got to watch!! but you can fastforwrrd, pause, etc etc
All you have to do at Dubai airport is go thru the 'transit' security with your hand luggage, doesnt take long but then you are stuck in the airport waiting for your gate to open and I dont think its that great of an airport, its always busy and there is a shortage of seating so that was really the worst bit of the journey for me, on the way back I am going to use the Mahabra lounge, costs about 20 dollars for 4hrs but has internet, buffet etc etc
My 2 yr old did pretty well on the flight apart from only sleeping for about 4hours in total out of 24 hours so I wouldnt go with any great expectations that they are going to sleep when you want to as it just doesnt happen!! Even tho I was armed with sedatives he wouldnt have them so bang went that idea!
Okay I think thts all I have to say....now Im working my way up to the return flight!!!!
Oh and by the way anyone who does what I did, there is no meet and assist at Manchester airport for parents on their own, they are not licensed to carry bags or help with children, how crap is that!!! I assume its the same at other UK airports
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Re which seats - your itinerary should have the type of plane you will be on (may vary between the sectors) - then have a look here for good and bad seats - http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Emi...nformation.php
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Any help appreciated

Jenean
Hi there

1 & 2.. With regard food, drink etc. You will generally be served 2 meals for each sector. One shortly after departing Birmingham/Dubai and the other about 1 ½ hours before landing Dubai/Perth. They tend to serve the meal appropriate to the time zone you are entering or have just left, so if you are landing early morning, it will be breakfast, and if you have departed evening, you will get a hot main meal. It’s a bit hit and miss when they do the drinks round, sometimes before the meal and sometimes after. They don’t’ tend to hand out snacks as such, although you generally get some savoury biscuits/nuts, etc with your drinks, and on of our sectors, I think they handed out ice creams as well.

3. They will probably dim the lights on the Dubai to Perth Sector. If you land in Dubai 9.00 pm UK time and take off 2 hours later at 11.00 pm., that’s 2.00 am in Dubai, so by the time they do the meal and bar service, they will probably dim the limits about 4.00 ish local time.

4. Entertainment varys depending what aircraft you are on. If its one of the older aircraft, no videos on demand, have to watch them when they are on and a few games for the kids. On the newer aircraft they have ICE entertainment system, which is state of the art, videos on demand (loads and loads to choose from, all the latest releases as well), and tons of games for the kids. Of the 6 sectors we did, we only had ICE once, which was a little disappointing. When you book your flights, go onto the Emirates web site, select the sectors you will be flying and you can see what entertainment system you will have and what films will be available.

5. As you have 2 kids, I assume there are 4 of you travelling, so the middle row of 4 seats would probably be ideal, at least you can all sit together. If you book direct with Emirates, don’t forget to check in on line. It saves heaps of time at the airport. (and you can also change your seats as well if there are seats not yet allocated).

6. All your luggage is automatically checked right through to Perth, and you will get all your boarding passes for all sectors when you check in at Birmingham, which means more time for duty free shopping in Dubai. Although with only a 2 hour connection, by the time you get off the aircraft and make your way to the departure gate (which will be different from where you got off), it will be almost time to board again.

Have a good flight.

Last edited by sassie; Jul 3rd 2007 at 11:37 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:19 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Hi

5.30pm is a good time to arrrive. Emirates also to a 0030 arrival which i think is a killer. 5.30pm gives you enough time to get to your sleeping arrangements, unpack, have something to eat then go to bed. Gets you over the jet lag very quickly i found.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:06 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

2. Meal type and timing will probably be based on the departure airport time so on the Dubai to Perth sector the meals will probably be based on Dubai time....so you might get woken up at what seems like the wrong time for breakfast even though its going to be 5pm in Perth!

5. Emirates has managed to squeeze 10 seats across into its 777 aircraft...this isn't normal...almost every airline only has 9...so the seats are a bit narrower than normal....I would've thought the 4 in the middle would be ideal for you guys though.

As for inflight entertainment its a lottery with Emirates....as a general rule the UK - Dubai sectors have the good stuff (as long as the flight isnt operated by an Airbus) but a lot of the Dubai - Aus sectors have the old system (especially Brisbane and Perth). You can actually find out on the emirates website which system your flight has here:

http://www.emirates.com/au/Traveller...t/Overview.asp

..if you see ICE you have the full on demand system....if you see 'TV & Radio' then its the old system.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:10 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hi

Any help appreciated

Jenean
Emirates are the best airline i think. We flew with them and they feed you constantley...free drinks too.
They are excellent with comfortable seats and i thought there was more leg room compared to Singapore airlines.
My kids were well looked after too. They enjoyed the flight to OZ.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:52 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Just flew with a 3yr old in April with Emirates and was very happy. My daughter had kids meals booked for all connecting flights both ways, her meal was served about 20 mins before the adult ones. Good entertainment, missed our connecting Emirates flight from Dubai as Perth one was late, they were quick and professional in organising other flights, can't really fault them. Flew back with nearly empty plane so almost everyone had a whole row to sleep on.

In regards to snacks etc. My daughter got hungry few times outside the meal times and they were very happy to provide her with sandwich etc. Top Airline in my mind, have flown with Singapore and KLM as well, was happy with both of those as well.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:55 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Emirates seem funny, I hear really good and really bad things about them

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Emirates are the best airline i think.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

My Mum and Dad always fly Emirates Business, LHR-PER, but the difference in quality on the Airbus sector (DXB-PER) compared with the flights ex-UK is huge.
Do they always use at Airbus on that sector? Silly really as it's a much longer stretch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.