Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emirate Airlines?

Emirate Airlines?

Old May 22nd 2005, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

nanci will become famous soon enoughnanci will become famous soon enough
Question Emirate Airlines?

I know there are similar threads concerning other airlines, but can anyone give me the good and bad points of Emirate Airlines. It is one option for my daughter to fly out to us later this year, they seem to have some good flight prices.

Thanks,

Nanci
Old May 22nd 2005, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emirate Airlines?

Originally Posted by nanci
I know there are similar threads concerning other airlines, but can anyone give me the good and bad points of Emirate Airlines. It is one option for my daughter to fly out to us later this year, they seem to have some good flight prices.

Thanks,

Nanci
There are threads on Emirates if you do a search where I've made comments previously.

We've just had an absolutely faultless trip to/back from Melbourne for £580 with them but others on here have had problems.

www.airlinequality.com is good if you want lots of info to do comparisions.
Old May 22nd 2005, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yonk
There are threads on Emirates if you do a search where I've made comments previously.

We've just had an absolutely faultless trip to/back from Melbourne for £580 with them but others on here have had problems.

www.airlinequality.com is good if you want lots of info to do comparisions.
Thanks for your help, have done a search, but there seems to be a pretty mixed bag, just wanted see what others thought.

We normally fly Singapore, but they don't seem very competitive on price at the moment, so we're looking at other options.

Thanks again,

Nanci
Old May 22nd 2005, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help, have done a search, but there seems to be a pretty mixed bag, just wanted see what others thought.

We normally fly Singapore, but they don't seem very competitive on price at the moment, so we're looking at other options.

Thanks again,

Nanci
Good points were lots of food, kept the plane quiet and dark for most of the DUB-MEL leg, staff are lovely and lots of entertainment. I didn't sleep on the leg out so watched all of the tv/films!

Other posters have lost luggage en-route, can't remember what else went wrong for them.

Dubai airport is worth a look.
Old May 22nd 2005, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yonk
Good points were lots of food, kept the plane quiet and dark for most of the DUB-MEL leg, staff are lovely and lots of entertainment. I didn't sleep on the leg out so watched all of the tv/films!

Other posters have lost luggage en-route, can't remember what else went wrong for them.

Dubai airport is worth a look.
No airline is perfect, and luggage can go missing with any airline. It sounds as though you have had a good experience with them. On such a long flight service counts for a lot, hence the reason we have travelled with Singapore. On our first trip we naively travelled with Garuda Indonesia, it took me ten years to visit Australia again !!!

Thanks again,

Nanci
Old May 23rd 2005, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

syltgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nanci, Emirates were great, Manchester to Melbourne and back - no problems - just do not sit right in front of the big screen - no sleep if you want to... other than that great food and entertainment - although bit repetative. I guess your daughter is old enough to travel alone as Dubai airport is busy busy busy - have your wits about you I felt that way but my other half told me to bloddy well relax.... - we are emigrating and will use Quantas next as good deal with Commonwealth Bank - one way trip - but hope they are as good as Emirates... See you Syltgirl

Thanks,

Nanci
Old May 23rd 2005, 7:31 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Thanks,

Nanci
Hiya Nanci,
I just fly with who ever is the easiest and cheepest.

Flow Quantas, BA, Garuda (Milaysian airlines) and next time we will fly from Birmingham, being local with Emirates.

Bye
Mark
Old May 23rd 2005, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

lee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nice

Hi

Don't forget it is 2 stops, Dubai and Singapore. They only tell you it's one Dubai, but they re-fuel at Singapore, this adds 4 hours or so onto your flight. :scared:

Jane
Old May 23rd 2005, 9:05 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee/jane
Hi

Don't forget it is 2 stops, Dubai and Singapore. They only tell you it's one Dubai, but they re-fuel at Singapore, this adds 4 hours or so onto your flight. :scared:

Jane
Some flights are non stop from Dubai.

They use A340 aircraft from Dubai to Sydney and Melbourne. These do not need to refuel.

Check before you book.

G
Old May 23rd 2005, 9:06 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markeh
Hiya Nanci,
I just fly with who ever is the easiest and cheepest.

Flow Quantas, BA, Garuda (Milaysian airlines)

Garuda are Indonesian.

'Malaysian' are the Malaysian airline and IMO one of the best with more legroom than most.

G
Old May 23rd 2005, 9:54 pm
Visa Granted-MT Eliza 06

gladiatorjw will become famous soon enough

WE flew Emirates in April and were very impressed with the flight on a whole. We had 2 kids (13 and 10) and there was alot of in-flight entertainment to keep them occupied. I would fly them again. We went direct to Melbourne from Dubai (13hrs) and on the way back stopped at Singapore for a few hours. We preferred it that way as it gave you a chance to stretch the legs.

Cheers
Jimbo
Old May 24th 2005, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your replies, my daughter is 19 going on 40, and has already travelled back to the UK alone. She lasted a month with us in Sydney before she returned to her boyfriend in the UK last year. Now they're both visiting us for four months to see if he likes Australia.

She works full time, so I am doing the leg work on getting them out here. I must admit it is a responsibility,and all your info is very welcome.

Thanks again,

Nanci
Old May 24th 2005, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

bloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nicebloofox is just really nice

No airline is perfect, and luggage can go missing with any airline. It sounds as though you have had a good experience with them. On such a long flight service counts for a lot, hence the reason we have travelled with Singapore. On our first trip we naively travelled with Garuda Indonesia, it took me ten years to visit Australia again !!!

Thanks again,

Nanci
We flew with Garuda two years ago and had no problems. In fact they were most accommoding when we changed the flights three times whilst in Thailand. THEY'RE probably praying we don't want to fly with them again! But like you say no airline is perfect!
Old May 25th 2005, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Must confess it is 13 years since we flew Garuda, but it's an experience I haven't forgotten. Personally I think every airline can have a bad day, some more than others!!!

Nanci