Visited proir to
51.77%
Not visited prior to
48.23%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Emigration without a visit first

Old Jun 23rd 2003, 12:27 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I find the results of the poll very surprising but then again it could account for the HUGE amount of dissapointed migrants returning to the UK every year.

It's a bit like asking, would you get married to this woman who you've only seen a picture of but your friends think she's great?

Or you wouldn't buy a house without looking at it, or maybe you would?

The only way I could imagine emigrating to somewhere I'd never been is if I had to get the application in quickly because I was going to drop 5 points with a birthday coming up or some other situation like that.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 9:16 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

My husband and I are moving at the end of September (arriving 1st October 2003). We have never been to Australia before, and decided against a pre-emigration trip for several reasons:

1) The cost - as my husband is self employed a holiday for over 5 days is very expensive, as he will not be getting paid. We could afford to do this, but decided that, because of the expensive, we would instead put the money towards our settlement finds to give ourselves a better start in Oz.

2) What would it achieve? I honestly believe it takes a year or two at least to decided if you like a place enough to live there. Whilst on holiday we would not be able to look at Australia as migrants, no matter how hard we tried.

3) It's more of an adventure this way. The adrenaline of moving to the other side of the world without knowing what is to come is so exciting. It is, after all, what all migrants used to do.

Right or wrong, this is what we have decided to do. I have to say though; I am surprised that I am only marginally in the minority. I really thought I was one of the only people to go without visiting first, being a bit mad as I am.

Mel
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 9:21 pm
Badge

I spent an entire year working in Aus so had a great insight. I was also amazed to see people wanting to migrate without first having paid a visit.

Don't worry Poly. If it doesn't work out you can always crash at mine..

badgers

PS when people say they can't afford a visit this doesn't mean they have no money - just that they don't want to spend it at this stage...

Last edited by badgersmount; Jun 30th 2003 at 12:03 am.

Old Jun 23rd 2003, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mika24me
My husband and I are moving at the end of September (arriving 1st October 2003). We have never been to Australia before, and decided against a pre-emigration trip for several reasons:

1) The cost - as my husband is self employed a holiday for over 5 days is very expensive, as he will not be getting paid. We could afford to do this, but decided that, because of the expensive, we would instead put the money towards our settlement finds to give ourselves a better start in Oz.

2) What would it achieve? I honestly believe it takes a year or two at least to decided if you like a place enough to live there. Whilst on holiday we would not be able to look at Australia as migrants, no matter how hard we tried.
3) It's more of an adventure this way. The adrenaline of moving to the other side of the world without knowing what is to come is so exciting. It is, after all, what all migrants used to do.
Right or wrong, this is what we have decided to do. I have to say though; I am surprised that I am only marginally in the minority. I really thought I was one of the only people to go without visiting first, being a bit mad as I am.

Mel
well said i agree totaly with you.
i am planning a visit later in the year, mainly for job purposes. but i wouldn't be able to do it if it wasn't for the fact that i will be staying with family over there. i have a hubby and 3 kids, it would cost a fortune for us all to visit, so alas i will have to go alone!

cheers
ellen
Old Jun 24th 2003, 1:22 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Hi all,
This is our first contribution to the forum. We have been visiting this site for a while and have really enjoyed reading about everyones experiences.

We (we being me Averill, my husband Steve, 7 year old son Rhys and 9 week old son Ryan) decided to make the big move about three and a half years ago. After doing some research into the skills in demand i decided to do a Bsc degree in Computing as at the time it seemed that this was a skill in great demand. We continued to carry out further research into the job market (Steve has worked as a production technician/ HSE manager in the oil industry for 20 years since he was 18 years old and there does seem to be a lot of work in oil, gas mining for which he is qualified), housing, schooling, taxes, health care etc. We have visited Perth twice and will be spending next christmas and new year out there.

Our visits to Perth are an important part of our immigration planning as we tend to do a lot of first hand research while we are there, we visit at different times of the year to experience all the seasons this will be the boys' first summer but i spent summer 1988 there, we always stay in self catering accom. houses or appartments and shop at local stores, we also ride the bus whenever possible and hang out with the locals rather than other tourists. We wouldn't have the guts to move without being as sure as one can be about what we might have to face.

We realise that this is no substitute for actually living in oz but we feel that every time we visit we get more of a feel of what life in oz might be like and we love it more and more each time. It is not all perfect but where on gods green earth is, nevertheless we want to make it our home.

We have just submitted Steves' skills to be tested and so the actual move is a long way away which suits us as i don't graduate until next June.

The very best of luck to everyone that has taken the plunge and please keep writing

kind regards

Averill:lecture: & Steve
Old Jun 24th 2003, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emigration without a visit first

Originally posted by crabtree
It would be interesting to know how many people emigrate to Australia or New Zealand having never made a visit before emigration.
For me: The family have visited prior to emigration for Holiday & for research also.

Tony C
It seems odd to emigrate somewhere without trying it first. However, there are practicalities. For example, we want to move to NZ but we don't really mind where. We have preferences, of course, but the crucial thing is the job. If I find a good job and it's not exactly where I thought I'd like, I'd still want to give it a go. We could take a 2-3 week vacation, in the middle of their winter but couldn't realistically travel all over even the North Island, except in a very cursory way. Staying in motels or B&Bs for a couple of nights at a time is hardly representative. Research is vital and talking to NZers is beneficial. The only way to know for certain is is try it for an extended period, as a resident. And that means emigrating.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

unrefined_mind is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by ACE
Hi all,
This is our first contribution to the forum. We have been visiting this site for a while and have really enjoyed reading about everyones experiences.

We (we being me Averill, my husband Steve, 7 year old son Rhys and 9 week old son Ryan) decided to make the big move about three and a half years ago. After doing some research into the skills in demand i decided to do a Bsc degree in Computing as at the time it seemed that this was a skill in great demand. We continued to carry out further research into the job market (Steve has worked as a production technician/ HSE manager in the oil industry for 20 years since he was 18 years old and there does seem to be a lot of work in oil, gas mining for which he is qualified), housing, schooling, taxes, health care etc. We have visited Perth twice and will be spending next christmas and new year out there.

Our visits to Perth are an important part of our immigration planning as we tend to do a lot of first hand research while we are there, we visit at different times of the year to experience all the seasons this will be the boys' first summer but i spent summer 1988 there, we always stay in self catering accom. houses or appartments and shop at local stores, we also ride the bus whenever possible and hang out with the locals rather than other tourists. We wouldn't have the guts to move without being as sure as one can be about what we might have to face.

We realise that this is no substitute for actually living in oz but we feel that every time we visit we get more of a feel of what life in oz might be like and we love it more and more each time. It is not all perfect but where on gods green earth is, nevertheless we want to make it our home.

We have just submitted Steves' skills to be tested and so the actual move is a long way away which suits us as i don't graduate until next June.

The very best of luck to everyone that has taken the plunge and please keep writing

kind regards

Averill:lecture: & Steve
Good luck with it and have to say you will succeed as you are committed and have researched the place as well as visited too.

Have been several times now and know it is the right move, still bewildered about those who haven't but each to their own, so lets not knock the negative views, at least we will be more prepared with the insights rather than through rose tinted spectacles.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Well said
my hubby is also self employed, doesn't work so doesn't get paid, and with a mortgage/bills to pay would be difficult to travel Brisbane for three weeks with no income, also if we could afford it what would it achieve? you cannot make a decision in 2/3 weeks, we have been to the caribbean quite a few times for fortnights hols, but wouldn't want to live there! It is more of any adventure this way, some people have to relocate to different parts of the country for work reasons yet may have never visited before!
good luck with your move, where are you hoping to settle?
regards
rach

Originally posted by mika24me

Mel
Old Jun 24th 2003, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

karlos is an unknown quantity at this point

For those who have never been before:-

What made you want to emigrate to Australia?

Before I went I would never have dreamed of moving there. It was after my first visit that I wanted to go.

Regards
Karl.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

unrefined_mind is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by nosuchluck
we have been to the caribbean quite a few times for fortnights hols, but wouldn't want to live there!

Exactly, so if you didn't want to live there then how do you know that Oz is for you????
Old Jun 24th 2003, 7:55 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Well said
my hubby is also self employed, doesn't work so doesn't get paid, and with a mortgage/bills to pay would be difficult to travel Brisbane for three weeks with no income, also if we could afford it what would it achieve? you cannot make a decision in 2/3 weeks, we have been to the caribbean quite a few times for fortnights hols, but wouldn't want to live there! It is more of any adventure this way, some people have to relocate to different parts of the country for work reasons yet may have never visited before!
good luck with your move, where are you hoping to settle?
regards
rach

I am thinking of Adelaide or maybe Melbourne. We are going to Melbourne first as this is where our dog will be during his 30 days quarantine.

We have made a few contact for my husband's trade so hopefully he will be able to get a few days work here and there whilst we decide where our new home town is. What about yourself?
Old Jun 25th 2003, 4:10 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by unrefined_mind
Good luck with it and have to say you will succeed as you are committed and have researched the place as well as visited too.

Have been several times now and know it is the right move, still bewildered about those who haven't but each to their own, so lets not knock the negative views, at least we will be more prepared with the insights rather than through rose tinted spectacles.
Thanks U_m,
I certainly hope you're right, i was beginning to doubt the wisdom of our decision as i have read quite a few negative posts over the months but then again we all have our ideas of what want out of the big move. We just want a quiet life with the opportunity to spend a lot of time outdoors and a lot of space, so hopefully shouldn't be dissapointed.
Ace
Old Jun 25th 2003, 4:29 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

There was a poll previously that asked about the visits you had prior to emigration - yonks ago now. The have not visited numbers have surprised me this time - but when I look at what we have done I have to laugh at me being surprised. We had one visit three weeks Husband and I only in 98 - spent time in Port Stephens NSW and Melbourne - 10 hour stop in Sydney travelling through. 2002 we came back with kids in tow (9 and 12 then) to live permantly - where? Well Sydney of course, no the ten hours did not impress us that much it was a job transfer that made the decision to move to Sydney.

So I think what I am saying the stats are a little skewed in visited or not visited before hand and do the 'have nots' really have that much less experience than the 'haves' depending on each 'holiday experience'.

I moved from NI to Berks on my own when I was 22 and thinking back hated it much much more than any experience I now have got through here with the support of my husband and kids.

Cheers
Old Jun 25th 2003, 4:51 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by dotty
One question would head straight to the top of my list.

If you cannot afford to make a pre-emigration trip here, how likely is it once you arrive you would be able to afford the thousands required for a trip back to the UK.
What I meant by not really being able to afford to come out first on a fact finding mission, was that we would rather have saved our money and put it towards our living expenses when we got here. We bought over $100,000 with us, we didn't come with nothing!! Who says we want to spend thousands of dollars on a trip back to the UK? and if we did, we can afford to because we didn't come out here for a visit first!!
Old Jun 25th 2003, 8:05 pm
Hussy

Originally posted by karlos
For those who have never been before:-

What made you want to emigrate to Australia?

Before I went I would never have dreamed of moving there. It was after my first visit that I wanted to go.

Regards
Karl.
Hi Karl

my husband and I first thought about moving to Australia over three years ago. We lived in a small village in the very north of Scotland and decided to move away to make some more money, as there were no real opportunities for us in our home village. We thought about London, Bristol or Glasgow, and then thought "why are we restricting ourselves to the UK?" so we started researching other countries.

We eventually moved to Glasgow to make some money in the short term, and continued researching Oz, NZ, Canada, etc. We eventually settled on Australia for various reasons (climate, lifestyle, distance from the UK (the further, the better), and found we were eligible for visas.

We did think about visiting the country first but my that time my husband was self employed so financially it would have been a problem. But also I truly believe it takes a year or two of living in a place to know whether or not you could settle there.

I hope I have done enough research, and spoken to enough Australians to have made the right decision. I also spend a lot of time on this forum, and tend to read all the posts (negative and positive) to try and give me a balanced view of what life will be like.

How long were you in Australia (and how many times have you been), and what made you decide it was the place for you?

regards

Mel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.