51.77%
Not visited prior to
48.23%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Emigration without a visit first

Old Jun 22nd 2003, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default never been, cant wait to get there!

have just voted and have never been to Australia, both always wanted to go there, just never had the money! so we're taking the bull by the horns and applying for a skilled independent visa, Mark is a plasterer and works 6 sometimes 7 days a week, for what to pay the mortgage and the tax man! we just want a better quality of life, for us to finish work at a reasonable hour and spend the after work hours with our daughter, they grow up too soon and we want to cherish every moment instead of being too tired after a gruelling day at work!
we've done heaps of research and are not going with rose tinted glasses on, realise it will be a hard slog but we are strong, happy in ourselves and determined to make it work!
regards
rach
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Not visited as of yet, and hadn`t intended to prior to visa but may take up one on the many offers available at the moment.

footie chick
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

One question would head straight to the top of my list.

If you cannot afford to make a pre-emigration trip here, how likely is it once you arrive you would be able to afford the thousands required for a trip back to the UK.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

dotty
that was not the initial question, once again someone is trying to go off on a tangent that suits their need to be confrontational and challenging. At the end of the day it was a simple poll, put towards those who are either all ready there or those at various planning stages.

give us a break!
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

stooly is an unknown quantity at this point

My hubby and I have been think, researching and discussing a move to NZ for 2 and half years. We have never been but have travelled most of the world. Friends and family want us to go and have a look first but my feelings are when you go on holiday things are nice and shiny. If we don't like it we just comeback so what, the main thing is we had a go. We have a good feeling about NZ, even though we are only 34 we are both from small quiet villiages and hardly see friends and family.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 12:14 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I actually agree with Dotty. Several have replied that they can not afford a visit, so Dottys' point is valid, if some what a pessismistic view.

The application process nor the relocation costs are cheap and to have money worries will not help by adding to the stress of making such a big move. My view is that you should have back up money for being unemployed, emergency return to UK, or if things seriously do not work out to return to UK etc. The comments that a visit is not affordable suggests that these people could not afford these emergency funds to make life easier. It is a lot of expense to go through when a person has not even visited the country let alone the area of the intend move.

Yes a hoilday/factfinding trip is not the same as living there, but at least you have first hand experience (say) of how big the city is, the surrounding suburbs, roads and type of housing etc

This is my view,so each to there own.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

unrefined_mind is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Emigration without a visit first

Maybe it is just me - but I find it bizarre that someone would WANT to move to a country they have never stayed/worked/lived in before.
Does this contribute to the high percentage of expats unhappy in Oz, I mean you wouldn’t buy a second hand car without viewing or test driving it first, neither would you buy a house without viewing and surveying it previously, if you did - surely this would also lead to a high rate of dissatisfaction, but people are quite happy to do (possibly) the biggest thing in their entire lives without testing the water first, are people basing the lifestyle and things to come by watching a couple of soaps based in Sydney and Melbourne?
Nothing against Oz - I personally love the Country, but even I can see it is not for everybody....

Graham
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

Location: lincolnshire South of Perth by end of October 03 Please
crabtree is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by walaj
I actually agree with Dotty. Several have replied that they can not afford a visit, so Dottys' point is valid, if some what a pessismistic view.

The application process nor the relocation costs are cheap and to have money worries will not help by adding to the stress of making such a big move. My view is that you should have back up money for being unemployed, emergency return to UK, or if things seriously do not work out to return to UK etc. The comments that a visit is not affordable suggests that these people could not afford these emergency funds to make life easier. It is a lot of expense to go through when a person has not even visited the country let alone the area of the intend move.

Yes a hoilday/factfinding trip is not the same as living there, but at least you have first hand experience (say) of how big the city is, the surrounding suburbs, roads and type of housing etc

This is my view,so each to there own.

This thread was a Poll on wheather people have visited prior to emigration.

It was not a judgment of who is right or wrong. I fear that if people are degraded for their replies, then people will stop replying.
I would not judge it to be right or wrong but a matter of personal choice or even affordability.

Tony C
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

HeatherS is an unknown quantity at this point

We're going to Adelaide in September to live & have never set foot in Australia.

Both myself & my husband were brought up as forces kids, which meant we were moving around the world at the drop of a hat. We thought it was exciting to live somewhere we hadn't been before & thoroughly enjoyed the experiences of our childhoods.

Now we want to do the same for our three kids & it's still as exciting all these years later.

You only live once so just do it!

Heather
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 12:51 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by crabtree
This thread was a Poll on wheather people have visited prior to emigration.
As I stated originally, it was MY view.

You can not expect people not to make comments, afterall this is a discussion forum where not everybody has the same views or situation. People have already made comments to this post in addition to voting why they are not visiting, I was giving MY comments for reasons to visit.
Originally posted by crabtree I fear that if people are degraded for their replies...
so do not degrade me for my reply - it is done in good spirits without any personal attack
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

porkchop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by walaj
As I stated originally, it was MY view.

You can not expect people not to make comments, afterall this is a discussion forum where not everybody has the same views or situation. People have already made comments to this post in addition to voting why they are not visiting, I was giving MY comments for reasons to visit.
so do not degrade me for my reply - it is done in good spirits without any personal attack

Well I take this as a personal attack on those that can not afford to visit first. Your and Dottys comments dont incourage replies.
So I will keep my reply to myself
PC
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 1:25 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigration without a visit first

Will be visiting Brisbane with Leonie in July/August.

Will give me a chance to see her city, family and friends.

Then will make the big decsion early next year.

TT

Originally posted by crabtree
It would be interesting to know how many people emigrate to Australia or New Zealand having never made a visit before emigration.
For me: The family have visited prior to emigration for Holiday & for research also.

Tony C
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

stooly is an unknown quantity at this point

To apply and to go to Aus I I'm gathering from the post on this forum is an expensive process. Unloke NZ the cost are a fraction. Everyone does thing differently, has been brought up differently and views life different. So it should not been seen has a bad or good thing to visit the country you intend to live in. We have, like I said choosen not to visit and it as not to do with the cost.

Just vote and state your reason. Simple and plain
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I visited both NZ and Australia for a hoilday about 2 years before moving to NZ. At the time I had no intension of emigrateing, it was purely a holiday.

When the oportunity arose to emigrate I took it because I'd already seen the place and knew I could enjoy living their.

I would never move to a place I've never been to, but thats just me.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 11:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

When I first went to Australia it was just a holiday, I had no intention of living there - and I'd never been further than France before. Then I fell in "lurve" with an Aussie, and now I'm going to live there. If it doesn't work, I'll have to come back, but if I don't try, I'll always regret it. Carl & I really intend it to work, but you never know what the future will bring.
I've met many people recently who have told me they had the chance to go to Oz years ago, many of them in the days of the "£10 Pom", and they have always regretted not giving it a try.
As for having the "thousands" for a trip back to the UK - I will have a contingency fund, purely for family emergencies, with just enough in it to pay for a return ticket. The time taken to raise the
money to move to Oz has given me time to review the idea and to know that I am sure about it. If I do ever decide that Australia is not for me - or if we decide to try living over here instead - then the time taken to raise the money to fly back here will be used in the same way.

By the way Dotty, I guess in the case of migrants with families the idea of a pre-emigration trip is just too expensive - and by not spending the money on it, they will have the cash left if they do decide to return?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.