Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

emigration reality

emigration reality

Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:15 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: emigration reality

Blah, blah, blah - Oz sucks - don't move there.

If anyone wants to put that in their sig, feel free.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:26 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch

Hows about a more constructive contribution
Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:39 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Hows about a more constructive contribution
Okay, here goes, I think all the British people should stay in Britain - then everyone, and I mean Everyone, will be much happier.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:42 am
Account Closed

Okay, here goes, I think all the British people should stay in Britain - then everyone, and I mean Everyone, will be much happier.

Have you lost the plot m8
Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:46 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Not like you to reply like this Hutch Whats up? The poster was only stating their opinion?
Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:49 am
Australia's Doorman

Have you lost the plot m8
Nah - after all this time, I've finally seen the light. Hallelujah! I think everyone would be far happier if they just stayed put.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:53 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by tygwyn
Not like you to reply like this Hutch Whats up? The poster was only stating their opinion?
I'm a broken man, Tygwyn. My resolve is gone, my willpower sapped, my path clear.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 8:58 am
Account Closed

Nah - after all this time, I've finally seen the light. Hallelujah! I think everyone would be far happier if they just stayed put.
Hutch, I would hazard a guess it would be almost impossible for anyone emigrating to another country not to find SOMETHING strange...or something they don't like....or something they find awkward, etc,etc. That doesn't mean people HATE Australia though

I believe even YOU have found some "piss off factors" about the UK have you not? Yep, me too

I reckon it's normal, and understandable given the stress levels involved in emigrating .....or being an immigrant that some find some things alien. The key is balance I reckon. If someone is so pissed off then they should change their lives to reflect what they do want. But then..that's my 2 cents worth...

Chill out buddy
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:05 am
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

*claps* thanks for that helpful comment Hutch - well done!

Life is what you make it - if you don't like something, then change it, don't just complain about it! I am taking an opportunity to change my life - I don't think it will all be a bed of roses, I'm sure there'll be times when me and chopperboy will look at each other and say "what the ***** have we done?". But by the same token, I'm sure there'll be times when we say "thank god we're in Oz!"

that's my little rant over this morning - just off for a bacon & egg sarnie and some hash browns!

Sonic x
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:07 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch, I would hazard a guess it would be almost impossible for anyone emigrating to another country not to find SOMETHING strange...or something they don't like....or something they find awkward, etc,etc. That doesn't mean people HATE Australia though

I believe even YOU have found some "piss off factors" about the UK have you not? Yep, me too

I reckon it's normal, and understandable given the stress levels involved in emigrating .....or being an immigrant that some find some things alien. The key is balance I reckon. If someone is so pissed off then they should change their lives to reflect what they do want. But then..that's my 2 cents worth...

Chill out buddy
I totally agree with you mate, but surely you see the genius of my masterplan?
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:20 am
Account Closed

I totally agree with you mate, but surely you see the genius of my masterplan?
Good recovery

Just behave yersen buggerlugs
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

dolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: emigration reality

Great post.

You're right. It is important to get a mixed bag of views, at least that way you wont be disappointed. Australia is a beautiful place to live and thankfully for most people it's a great choice, however for some it seems like purgatory and an expensive mistake and this is why it is such an emotive subject. No one moves to Aus because they hate Australia, however for some people Australia just doesn't "gel" somehow...and this can have devastating effects and be very very stressful.

We had no pre-conceived ideas about Aus. Having never even visited before we had no idea what we would like or dislike about it however we did expect it to be different to the UK, which I think helped temper our initial views. Don't ask me why we didn't visit and why we risked everything, as although we are risk takers it was probably the most risky thing we have ever done. However for us it has worked out, albeit life aint perfect, but we realise this wherever in the world you live. Our life in UK was good i.e great jobs and excellent standard of living etc...but we lived to work rather than worked to live.....and herein lies the answer... FOR US....as the answer is that simple really.

Aus suits us and vice versa. It isn't everyone's cup-o-tea and life here certainly is not a bed of roses, the job situation for example is dire IMHO and very much over rated / over stated ....but again this is MY opinion based on MY experience. I accept everyone's views differ based on THEIR experiences.

For us, the Aussie people, the climate, the lifestyle, the "easiness" of life <read less day to day stress> is so much more enjoyable. And sometimes this is attributed to insignificant things, take for example yesterday.

I had to go to the Doctors, so off I trot, unannounced to my local GP, only to find them fully booked up [my fault, no appointment]....anyways, I go home, ring a few local GP's and manage to be seen in the afternoon. I go to Dr's, get my prescription and then go to Medicare to get a refund for the cost of seeing the Dr.

Medicare office are so professional, so prompt and so efficient and refund me $31.45 of the $46 dollars it has cost me to see the Dr. I then go across to the Pharmacy and pick up my prescription for $20. Again, efficient, polite and professional. Now all in all, I was seen on the same day, was "serviced" politely and efficiently and professionally and it cost me about $35 bucks. Now personally speaking, this was far less stressful than when I lived in UK.

In UK I would ring the Dr's surgery only to have a surly receptionist tell me I should have rung earlier and then ask me what's wrong ....then I would have been informed that unless it was an emergency <read life threatening> then I could have an appointment in a week ..Now personally speaking, it is things like THAT that used to stress me out. If I'm poorly, then the last thing I want to do is be vetted by a friggin receptionist or wait a sodding week, by which time I'm better, so I waste mine and the Dr's time

Then there is car parking; Here in Aus unless you go to the cities, parking is generally free. Yes FREE! My father came here for three months and in the end I nearly had to stamp a message on his forehead saying "Free parking" as he would have a heart attack every time I walked away from the car. He was paranoid I might get a parking ticket as he couldn't believe parking was free, and he would frantically be searching out for a parking meter worried I might get a parking ticket. "Dad....it's free" was what I said every time I parked the car, even before we set out to go anywhere and "are you sure" was always his response

Then there's the litter and dog shit; Yes, I know...not a big deal to some folk....but one thing I noticed was the lack of it here compared to UK. And believe me, I lived in a nice place in UK....but for some reason people still thought it was OK to let their dog crap and not have to clean up after themselves. And before anyone starts, I've got a dog so I love dogs. It's the owners that need training. Anyways, as I was saying, I've noticed here there are a lot of recreational areas with BBQs etc, and often people are out and about with their dogs, and the owners have their doggy bags to clean up. Of course there will always be a few selfish so-and-so's...but in the main people are respectful and responsible owners.

And then there are the BBQ areas. Again these are generally free, even the gas ones. I see people use them then clean them for the next person. You see the odd area untidy but in the main they are well kept and clean..

These are just a few examples of the day to day living that for us creates a better standard of living and of course the list is not exhaustive. There are also things that we miss from UK. How can you live somewhere for a long time and not do so?.... but this is Awwwwstralia....and it's a different country....and we have emigrated....so WE have had to learn to adapt

I accept this is not the same for everyone...and there are certain things you just can't compare. Missing friends and family for example. It doesn't matter where you are you are going to miss them once you decide to emigrate. That is part and parcel of emigrating, so no point even comparing this, of course you have no idea how you will cope with it until you do move though.

So....in summary, Aus aint perfect. There are some things which in my view are backwards here in Aus [work ethics for example] and other things where Aus beats the UK hands down and then other things where you will miss regardless [friends & family etc], but for us personally... overall Aus is the winner. It's a less stressful, more fulfilling day-2-day lifestyle and although very, very different, it's got some tremendous positives. This isn't the same for everyone though, and the only way you can ever know....is to try it!!

Good luck in your new adventure
Thank you. You are sooooo right about the mixed bag. Australia , UK or for that every place is full of positive and negative features. Its important to know where one will be most comfortable. And yes i would like to try it if given a visa.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dolly123
Thank you. You are sooooo right about the mixed bag. Australia , UK or for that every place is full of positive and negative features. Its important to know where one will be most comfortable. And yes i would like to try it if given a visa.
Hope you get the visa....and get the chance
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tygwyn
Very much like Hutch unfortunately. Schizo poster of the year. Do a search and you can tell when he forgets to take the pills.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 10:00 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by Exile
Very much like Hutch unfortunately. Schizo poster of the year. Do a search and you can tell when he forgets to take the pills.
I'm terribly sorry if my moods alternate. For the record, my posts were tongue in cheek - apologies if that went over your head - don't let me keep you from your usual round of depression, horror and heartache.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.