Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emigration process

Emigration process

Old Aug 25th 2005, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

mick* is just really nicemick* is just really nicemick* is just really nicemick* is just really nicemick* is just really nicemick* is just really nicemick* is just really nicemick* is just really nice
Default Emigration process

Hi

I'm brand new to this forum and to the whole emigration process. I currently work for Ford in England and am making enquiries through them to re-locate to Victoria, Melbourne. I am a manager in the automotive trade. I also have an aunt and grandmother that live in Sydney that are able to sponsor me. ( not sure what this entails ) I haven't the first idea how the process works and based on the above is there anyone that can give me a few more details. I would appreciate any information that anyone can give. I would be re-locating with my family. Thanks.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 1:56 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigration process

Originally Posted by mick*
Hi

I'm brand new to this forum and to the whole emigration process. I currently work for Ford in England and am making enquiries through them to re-locate to Victoria, Melbourne. I am a manager in the automotive trade. I also have an aunt and grandmother that live in Sydney that are able to sponsor me. ( not sure what this entails ) I haven't the first idea how the process works and based on the above is there anyone that can give me a few more details. I would appreciate any information that anyone can give. I would be re-locating with my family. Thanks.

Just wanna say welcome!

Kris x
Old Aug 25th 2005, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

This is probably best posted in the 'immigration' part of the forum, as you're most likely to get the sort of advice you need there.

Other than that, I'll try and help you a tad if I can.

There are a number of visa categories for emigrating to Aus, some of which would be more applicable than others. To find out if you are eligible, your first port of call should probably be the Aus government website:

Compulsive reading!

Can you possibly supply any more info about yourself, ie: age and work experience?

Oh, and welcome to the site!
Old Aug 25th 2005, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Hello And Welcome. What Is Your Trade In The Motor Industry, I'm A Car Sprayer And Got My Visa By My Job Being On The Modl List.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 2:35 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I also have an aunt and grandmother that live in Sydney that are able to sponsor me. ( not sure what this entails ).
not sure you can be sponsored in Sydney (certain post codes)? Maybe wrong
Old Aug 25th 2005, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

mick* is just really nicemick* is just really nicemick* is just really nicemick* is just really nicemick* is just really nicemick* is just really nicemick* is just really nicemick* is just really nice

Originally Posted by karenjc
Hello And Welcome. What Is Your Trade In The Motor Industry, I'm A Car Sprayer And Got My Visa By My Job Being On The Modl List.
Hello

I am a manager at Land Rover within the paint shop looking after the paint sprayers. I haven't got a clue as to any of the process, have you re-located and did you do it through your employer? Cheers.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tonyk38
This is probably best posted in the 'immigration' part of the forum, as you're most likely to get the sort of advice you need there.

Other than that, I'll try and help you a tad if I can.

There are a number of visa categories for emigrating to Aus, some of which would be more applicable than others. To find out if you are eligible, your first port of call should probably be the Aus government website:

Compulsive reading!

Can you possibly supply any more info about yourself, ie: age and work experience?

Oh, and welcome to the site!

Will check out that website, cheers.

Myself and my wife are 41, we have 2 children, 14 and 6. I have worked at Land Rover for 12 years managing paint sprayers for 4 of those years. I have vast experience in this trade. My wife has worked for the City Council for 24 years. We have discussed moving to Australia many times and now it seems there's never been a better opportunity. My aunt and grandmother moved there in the 1970's.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Hello

I am a manager at Land Rover within the paint shop looking after the paint sprayers. I haven't got a clue as to any of the process, have you re-located and did you do it through your employer? Cheers.
Sadly were still here for 7 more weeks then we move over. We have not gone through work but have got in because there is a shortage of skilled people in certain trades and the motor trade is one of them. If your job is on the MODL list you get extra points and mine was ( or was at time of submitting application ). As you work for land rover and there are land rover garages in oz it could be possible that you could get sponsored migration, not something I'm really up with as we never went down that route. If you there is anything i can help you with just ask and i will do my best ( unless your a villa fan )
Old Aug 25th 2005, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Sadly were still here for 7 more weeks then we move over. We have not gone through work but have got in because there is a shortage of skilled people in certain trades and the motor trade is one of them. If your job is on the MODL list you get extra points and mine was ( or was at time of submitting application ). As you work for land rover and there are land rover garages in oz it could be possible that you could get sponsored migration, not something I'm really up with as we never went down that route. If you there is anything i can help you with just ask and i will do my best ( unless your a villa fan )
I'm looking to move within the Ford company to Melbourne. I have only put feelers out at the moment but there are internal vacancies and I was wondering how long it all takes. How long has it taken you to get where you are and what about housing etc. I'm a Bluenose by the way
Old Aug 25th 2005, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking to move within the Ford company to Melbourne. I have only put feelers out at the moment but there are internal vacancies and I was wondering how long it all takes. How long has it taken you to get where you are and what about housing etc. I'm a Bluenose by the way
Even if you get a job offer in Melb'n you still need to find a visa category in which you are eligible. If you want to go this route then I suspect that you may be eligible for an Employer Nominated Visa. Melb'n, and indeed the state of Victoria do offer these types of visas I believe and I don't think they're points tested though don't quote me on that. That means that your age shouldn't go against you even though the cut off point for the Skilled Independent visa (which you might be eligible for too) is 45. The SE visa is the least hassle, though I suspect that at your age your skill would need to be on the MODL list (Occupations in Demand) list to stand any real chance of getting enough points.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Even if you get a job offer in Melb'n you still need to find a visa category in which you are eligible. If you want to go this route then I suspect that you may be eligible for an Employer Nominated Visa. Melb'n, and indeed the state of Victoria do offer these types of visas I believe and I don't think they're points tested though don't quote me on that. That means that your age shouldn't go against you even though the cut off point for the Skilled Independent visa (which you might be eligible for too) is 45. The SE visa is the least hassle, though I suspect that at your age your skill would need to be on the MODL list (Occupations in Demand) list to stand any real chance of getting enough points.
My occupation is on the MODL list I do know that. As I have said, I've put the feelers out and am waiting for HR to get back to me. We are now thinking about all the ins and outs of it all and this is where I'd like a bit of info. I've had a look aound the website listed above and that has a lot of useful info. Are you buying property out there or have you looked into this at all?
Old Aug 25th 2005, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's taken nearly 2 years but we have had a few little hurdles along the way. We got caught up in the back log post July 2004 when things were moving a lot slower then than they are now. We sold our house and we move out in 2 weeks to my parents until 20th OCT. When we get to the gold coast were staying in apartments for 4 weeks while we look for a rental and schools for the kids. There was a article in the press last week that said the oz government were again increasing the number of skilled migrants so it may not be a bad time to go. Tilton roader Darren
Old Aug 25th 2005, 4:08 pm
Account Closed

My occupation is on the MODL list I do know that. As I have said, I've put the feelers out and am waiting for HR to get back to me. We are now thinking about all the ins and outs of it all and this is where I'd like a bit of info. I've had a look aound the website listed above and that has a lot of useful info. Are you buying property out there or have you looked into this at all?
If your job is on the MODL list then that hugely increases your chance of going the Skilled Independent 136 Visa route. Anyone who qualifies for this visa really ought to choose this option as it's the least hassle; the reason being that you can live wherever you like in Aus and even do whatever you want work-wise. You don't even need a job offer. Having said that, you can get bonus points with a job offer. Do you know how many points your job category gives you? If it's 60 (if it's on MODL, I'm assuming it is), then with your work experience (which will also give you points this route) should preclude you even needing that job offer, though of course it helps. That's unless my Maths is all wrong!!

Btw, the DIMIA website also has the application forms for the visas for you to download, as well as online booklets explaining the ins and outs of each visa category. You will need to peruse the one for you at some point.

I'll be going to Aus as a Psychiatric Nurse in the due course of time and have looked into the various visa categories quite a bit. As I'm quite happy to live in the 'regions' I might go on a Regional Sponsorship next year or the year after, or wait a bit longer for the 136 visa; I haven't decided yet.

I won't be buying property any time soon on account of being in rented accommodation and completely broke. Luckily your bank balance doesn't get taken into account in the visa process, except of course you need enough dosh to pay for the application, the medical you need to pass and your passage down under of course. That's why I think I'll be working for a while here yet until I've saved enough money to make the transition less of a financial hassle.

I'll probably be going to North East New South Wales or somewhere in Queensland, sipmply because I like these areas.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

It's taken nearly 2 years but we have had a few little hurdles along the way. We got caught up in the back log post July 2004 when things were moving a lot slower then than they are now. We sold our house and we move out in 2 weeks to my parents until 20th OCT. When we get to the gold coast were staying in apartments for 4 weeks while we look for a rental and schools for the kids. There was a article in the press last week that said the oz government were again increasing the number of skilled migrants so it may not be a bad time to go. Tilton roader Darren
That's what I meant by saying there's never a better opportunity. thanks for all the info and good luck for your move, keep right on
Old Aug 25th 2005, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

If your job is on the MODL list then that hugely increases your chance of going the Skilled Independent 136 Visa route. Anyone who qualifies for this visa really ought to choose this option as it's the least hassle; the reason being that you can live wherever you like in Aus and even do whatever you want work-wise. You don't even need a job offer. Having said that, you can get bonus points with a job offer. Do you know how many points your job category gives you? If it's 60 (if it's on MODL, I'm assuming it is), then with your work experience (which will also give you points this route) should preclude you even needing that job offer, though of course it helps. That's unless my Maths is all wrong!!

Btw, the DIMIA website also has the application forms for the visas for you to download, as well as online booklets explaining the ins and outs of each visa category. You will need to peruse the one for you at some point.

I'll be going to Aus as a Psychiatric Nurse in the due course of time and have looked into the various visa categories quite a bit. As I'm quite happy to live in the 'regions' I might go on a Regional Sponsorship next year or the year after, or wait a bit longer for the 136 visa; I haven't decided yet.

I won't be buying property any time soon on account of being in rented accommodation and completely broke. Luckily your bank balance doesn't get taken into account in the visa process, except of course you need enough dosh to pay for the application, the medical you need to pass and your passage down under of course. That's why I think I'll be working for a while here yet until I've saved enough money to make the transition less of a financial hassle.

I'll probably be going to North East New South Wales or somewhere in Queensland, sipmply because I like these areas.
My occupation does give me 60 points. I would like to think I can do it all through Land rover and their internal vacancies. I have about £120,000 in equity and thought about paying the bond which gives me more points but not sure on this one. I've not looked into the regions but i will do as you suggest and take another look on the website. I have age against me being 41 so can't afford to wait around cheers for the info once again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.