Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emigration dilemma

Emigration dilemma

Old May 10th 2005, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future
Default Emigration dilemma

I wondered if there is a way that a university student can apply to Aussie in the 3rd year of a degree programme i.e. before finishing the degree with the condition that he/she will gain the degree qualification. The problem, it seems, is that I need a degree to get accepted for residency. However, this will mean spending a year in the UK doing absolutely nothing jobwise while my application is being processed.

Is there any way around this so that I can move to Australia straight after I've finished my degree?

tottefan.
Old May 10th 2005, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice
Default Re: Emigration dilemma

Originally Posted by tottefan
I wondered if there is a way that a university student can apply to Aussie in the 3rd year of a degree programme i.e. before finishing the degree with the condition that he/she will gain the degree qualification. The problem, it seems, is that I need a degree to get accepted for residency. However, this will mean spending a year in the UK doing absolutely nothing jobwise while my application is being processed.

Is there any way around this so that I can move to Australia straight after I've finished my degree?

tottefan.

Dont know the answer but thought would bump it up for you.

Good luck Chris
Old May 10th 2005, 9:41 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

What visa are you planning to apply for?

tottefan.
Old May 10th 2005, 9:41 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

tottefan.
I very much doubt if you could get PR under such circumstances as most jobs also require a fair amount of postgrad experience.

Student visas are available but I do not know how easy they are to get. They are not permanent and you would need to pay the university fees.

I may be wrong and, if so, you may get better advice.

G
Old May 11th 2005, 1:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot approach general skilled migration like that. Download and read the Skilled Migration Booklet from the DIMIA site, this will help you better understand the rules.

Jeremy
Old May 11th 2005, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
You cannot approach general skilled migration like that. Download and read the Skilled Migration Booklet from the DIMIA site, this will help you better understand the rules.

Jeremy

Thanks.

tottefan
Old May 11th 2005, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Thanks.

tottefan
That seems a bit crazy to me. It means that university students have to mess around for up to 2 years doing nothing whilst their application is being processed. You'd think that they would have some system in place where students are able to apply beforehand and are granted residency if they achieve the relevant qualifications at a later date.

Matt.
Old May 11th 2005, 3:23 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

if you are applying for skilled migration then you will need at least 3 years practical experience AFTER leaving uni in most cases to gain PR.

That seems a bit crazy to me. It means that university students have to mess around for up to 2 years doing nothing whilst their application is being processed. You'd think that they would have some system in place where students are able to apply beforehand and are granted residency if they achieve the relevant qualifications at a later date.

Matt.
Old May 11th 2005, 9:35 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
if you are applying for skilled migration then you will need at least 3 years practical experience AFTER leaving uni in most cases to gain PR.
Not every case. You can go as a nurse for example, so long as you satisfy other criteria, after just 6 months.
Old May 11th 2005, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Dmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura about

Theres the rub, its a queue & everyone is joing it throughout time.
Depending on type of course/skills required most skilled independant visas require 3 years relevant work experience at least.

Coming straight out of Uni does not guarantee anyone a visa straight away.
There are people who have waiting years for their visa so its part of the system.

I know from experience, Id have gladly left towards the end of my degree in the hope of gaining the marks (which I did in the end) but Oz are not interested. They want people who are gonna hit the ground running.

I suggest looking at DIMA website, read through the application process, look at the points system & see whens ok to apply. Also try to get relevant work experience in UK as its gonna be alot harder over there & this will stand you in better stead in job applications over there. Cheers Marty

Matt.