Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emigrating as a practice nurse with a cat...

Emigrating as a practice nurse with a cat...

Old Jan 11th 2017, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Sarahann1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigrating as a practice nurse with a cat...

Hi, so am going to apply to emigrate as a practice nurse, ideally didn't want to move until 2019 giving me time to gain more skills, experience and earn more money. Firstly if you have emigrated as a PN was it under registered nurse (child adult health category?) secondly do they sponsor? And any other information would be gravely received. Also actually what's the pay roughly? Do they recruit from the Uk or is it best to get out there first? I'm assuming it's different than a hospital post like it is here.

Now I have a beautiful cat that I couldn't go without, can they be transported straight into Perth? Instead of faffing to collect them in Melbourne. How are they when they get to the other end? Roughly how long are they in quarantine? The rules seem really strict in not being able to visit ? Did you use a private company?

Also can you advise which visa would be best for me to apply for, how long does the process normally take? How much roughly does it cost? Also which is the best way to go about it? Ie using law firms etc? Is there a really good one?

Sorry loads of questions, hope to hear from someone soon xxx
Old Jan 12th 2017, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating as a practice nurse with a cat...

We brought two cats to Brisbane from USA (originally UK to USA with them then to Australia) and the following website is the official one for working out what you have to do and when to comply with the rules: http://www.agriculture.gov.au/cats-dogs

It also has a handy 'calculator' so you know when is the right time window for getting each step done. Providing you do everything you can in the home country to have the rabies vaccinations done, then the blood test (titre testing) done etc then the cat will only have to do the mandatory 10 days in quarantine on arrival in Australia (subject to the vet checks while in quarantine) but this amount of time can increase depending on whether you are within the necessary timeframes for having the rabies vaccinations done etc - the website explains fully.

At the time we moved (nov 2014) our cats had to go into the quarantine facility in Sydney for their 10 days and no-one is allowed to visit but you can call (which we did but I got the distinct impression they read off a card what to say as both times I got almost word for word the same response - "they are doing great, no problems ...etc". Once they cleared the final vet check in Sydney my pet travel agent collected them and put them onto a flight to Brisbane. Now I think all animals go to the Mickleham, Victoria quarantine centre to do their incarceration but I could be wrong.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 4:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Moved thread to the Immi Forum where all visa queries find the best answers. Also check out the Nursing Forum. It's worldwide but there is a lot of Australia info there as well.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

It is showing under the Flood, fire .... forum currently Moneypenny.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 6:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoodilicious
It is showing under the Flood, fire .... forum currently Moneypenny.
already reported and now moved
Old Jan 12th 2017, 6:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Ooops, the joys of moving things on a phone! Never mind, got there in the end.