Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emigrating to Australia

Emigrating to Australia

Old May 25th 2003, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

stevef36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigrating to Australia

Hi everyone, very excited to have found such a useful website.

Well here goes, my partner and I are seriously considering emigrating to Australia, have just broken the news to our family, even though we have not yet made our applicaitons.

we understand that the process is a long one, etc..

Lots of questions to ask, so here goes, again...

My partner and I are skilled indviduals, so hopefully getting jobs will not be a problem, my partner is a lawyer, and is in the process of making enquriries about how easy it is to tranfer her legal qualifciaitons over... this will take around 3 -4 months.

1. If it turns out that she will need to do a conversion course or equivalent, she will consider working as a legal secretary, is there a lot of legal work out there?

Have decided to move to PErth, as friends there and lifestyle looks appealing.

We have substantial capital, so that isn't a problem.

2. Need advice as to where abouts in Perth to live, as we have a young daughter, aged 5 ...

3. Application is lengthly but seems pretty straightforward, what is the benefit of instructing a migration expert? cost? has anyone attempted to do their own and been successful? if the form is completed incorrectly is it automatically rejected, or do you get a chance to put things right?

4. Do you need to get your skills/employment verified? is this crucial? who can do this and how much does it cost?

5. A bit concerned about taking our UK pensions over, is it taxed as income at 47%?? is there any finanical benefits to taking over capital and pension over to Australia?

5. Police check and medical, is it just a case of contacting the police station and hospital, what are the costs?

6. I have read that PErth is the most isolated capital in the world, how veasible is it to travel internationally by way of costs etc and do you actaully feel that isolated, where the scenery is so breathtakingly beautiful and everything is there at your disposal?

7. For family and friends, the 24hr journey sounds like hell, what is it like really?

that is it for now, look forwrad to hearing from you ... will no doubt ask more questions later,

thanks

Stevef36
Old May 25th 2003, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emigrating to Australia

Hi Steve, just a few pointers,

go to OZ IMMI SITE,

Originally posted by stevef36

Well here goes, my partner and I are seriously considering emigrating to Australia, have just broken the news to our family, even though we have not yet made our applicaitons.

# Could up to 50 weeks ...

Lots of questions to ask, so here goes, again ...

My partner and I are skilled indviduals, so hopefully getting jobs will not be a problem, my partner is a lawyer, and is in the process of making enquriries about how easy it is to tranfer her legal qualifciaitons over... this will take around 3 -4 months.

# Possible that may have a conversion course,

1. If it turns out that she will need to do a conversion course or equivalent, she will consider working as a legal secretary, is there a lot of legal work out there?

2. Need advice as to where abouts in Perth to live, as we have a young daughter, aged 5 ...

# Depends what you want to spend,

3. Application is lengthly but seems pretty straightforward, what is the benefit of instructing a migration expert? cost? has anyone attempted to do their own and been successful? if the form is completed incorrectly is it automatically rejected, or do you get a chance to put things right?

# $1745.00 skilled independant

4. Do you need to get your skills/employment verified? is this crucial? who can do this and how much does it cost?

# Yes, depends who the assessing body is as to cost,

5. A bit concerned about taking our UK pensions over, is it taxed as income at 47%?? is there any finanical benefits to taking over capital and pension over to Australia?

5. Police check and medical, is it just a case of contacting the police station and hospital, what are the costs?

# Medicals at a Nominated Panel of Doctors and around 500 pounds Sterling for a family of 4,

6. I have read that PErth is the most isolated capital in the world, how veasible is it to travel internationally by way of costs etc and do you actaully feel that isolated, where the scenery is so breathtakingly beautiful and everything is there at your disposal?

# Internal and International flight are very expensive,

7. For family and friends, the 24hr journey sounds like hell, what is it like really?

that is it for now, look forwrad to hearing from you ... will no doubt ask more questions later,

thanks

Stevef36
Old May 25th 2003, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

The Clarkes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi steve, if you are going for the skilled migration you or wife need to have your skills assessed by the relevant assessing body, check out booklet 6 at www.immi.gov.au.
agents charges vary alot and most often you pay more than quoted due to 'hidden' fees, we were quoted £850 for the lot then got their application reply to say our case could be £1700+!
consequently we did loads of research and did it ourselves, all o.k so far, our application was sent last week.
We are hoping to go to perth and yes it is very beautiful,lifestyle is fab.
hope this helps!
best of luck
t.c
Old May 25th 2003, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Garland is on a distinguished road

Hi..have sent you a PM!!
Old May 25th 2003, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Economy is hell. ! Business and above its not so bad.

For pension info there is some useful links on www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/finance.php
Old May 25th 2003, 9:16 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

24 hours is hell whichever cabin you are in do a stop off and enjoy 2 or 3 nights in a new town also saves on the jet lag
Old May 25th 2003, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Check on the sister site where lits of immigration questions are posted and do search on medicals and police checks etc.

Also check ou the www.immi.gov.au site and down load the free booklet and forms. Also www.australia.org.uk site which was a bit out of date but has stuff on the medicals and which doctor list to use.

Ring your police HQ to request forms for police checks.

Medicals and police checks are only valid for a year so you might want to apply first and wait to be asked for them otherwise you might be left with only a few months to move to oz when your visa is granted before they expire.

I have done 24 hour flight with a 4 year old which was fine. Take a bottomless bag of toys and treats and bring one out every hour, not all at once Don't let them get the idea they can wander freely around the cabin, much better they get used to the idea the stewardess will tell them off if they as much as blink

What else...never been to Perth, sorry!

I didn't use an agent, if you can read and take in complex info and such like and you haven't got any complications then it is realatively straighforward, perhaps a tad more stressful. Picking the right agent is crucial. We can advise on that!

Suggest you go to the immigration exhibition in York this weekend coming, was one south earlier in the year. Good place to pick up info and names.

You can't apply until you have a skills assessment and have passed the points test. All in the Skilled Independent booklet.

Also check out www.austimeline.com for people going through the process to see how long each stage is taking...recently they have got a spurt on to meet their targets..Some of us waited 18 months plus. 8 months seems to be the average now.

Good Luck
Mash...

Stevef36
Old May 25th 2003, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

[

Stevef36 [/QUOTE]

Hi,

I'm a solicitor and I would just say that it is not at all easy to apply for skilled immigration as a lawyer. I applied to be admitted in Western Australia as it looked quite straightforward but was advised that I would have to do 7 exams and a years articles before I could be admitted there. As you have to be actually admitted to qualify as a solicitor for Aus immigration that was a non-starter. Your partner's best bet may be to apply to be admitted in Queensland- they will allow English lawyers to be conditionally admitted without doing any exams and I believe that is sufficient for DIMIA. I'm not entirely sure whether you would be able to practise in WA on the basis of conditional admission in Queensland - I need to check that out.

You may be better going on your skills and if you need 5 spouse points your partner can have her degree assessed by VETASSESS which will be OK with DIMIA.

Let me know if you'd like any further info.

Nicola
Old May 26th 2003, 12:16 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Steve,

Re your query number 5 (the first one that is!): no you're not taxed at 47% on your pension transfer ... but any growth in the value of your fund may well be taxed at your highest marginal tax rate in Australia. Have a look at the attached tax factsheet.

Re using an agent: it depends on how you feel about completing forms and liaising with the authorities. This site is excellent for the support it brings, but at the end of the day you are the person filling in the forms - they aren't overly technical (in my view), but I'm sure that you wouldn't want to find several months down the road that (say) you've overlooked something. And some value the fact that they have an agent that keeps them informed and heading towards their goal, namely a permanent residency visa.

I'll be delighted to email you some details of what we do and our fees if you would like to contact me directly.

Best regards.

thanks

Stevef36
Old May 26th 2003, 12:36 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Stevef36
Perth has little in the way of scenery that is so breathtakingly beautiful , boring city in the middle of nowhere ?

Old May 26th 2003, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

Hi Steve

Welcome to the sight - Like Nicstids I am also a solicitor and will probably have to do some secretarial work or something - we are going to go on the back of my fiance's visa - he is a hairdresser and they are currently in demand. It is difficult to go over in my job so it might be better if you are the main applicant and if you need the extra points then get your wife's skills assessed otherwise dont as - as Nicstids pointed out she would have to sit several exams and do 1 year articles.

If you do a search on this sight, you should find more info on Perth - as previous people have posted asking which are the best suburbs etc - most expats it seems head for the north - WA is isolated but it has a lot to offer and you have asia on your doorstep re hols etc - but why go there when you have amazing places to visit in WA - ignore PB he is just bitter - life is what you make of it - corny but true.

All the best

rizalan
Old May 27th 2003, 1:15 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rizalan
Hi Steve

If you do a search on this sight, you should find more info on Perth - as previous people have posted asking which are the best suburbs etc - most expats it seems head for the north - WA is isolated but it has a lot to offer and you have asia on your doorstep re hols etc - but why go there when you have amazing places to visit in WA - ignore PB he is just bitter - life is what you make of it - corny but true.

All the best

rizalan
You are not well informed , as for being bitter make mine a pint.

Old May 27th 2003, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

stevef36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PErth

Dear PB

Sorry to hear that you are not enjoying things in PErth? why is that?

Originally posted by pommie bastard
You are not well informed , as for being bitter make mine a pint.

Old May 27th 2003, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

oh no -run everybody -run for your lives!!!!!!

cheers

richard
Old May 27th 2003, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Therese is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

We used an agency in the UK to help us with our visa application and have been delighted as we would not have known most of the application pitfalls and would probably not have made it, we are now in posession of PR visas and documents allowing us to apply for jobs. The agency worked for the money they charged us believe me. They took all the checking and posting from us we did not have to pay for posting at all, even providing us with folders and maps with info on where we want to live, we felt they were very professional and met them before deciding to part with our money. We experienced a few problems on the way with DIMIA but the agency sorted this all out for us we did not even have to contact anyone else. Whether or not you do use an agency or not has to be personal choice. I think you should contact a few and decide if you need to use one or go it alone. If you decide to visit York Exhibition you will be able to meet some of them and gain further info to make your choice. Good luck with your application anyway.

Sydney at the beginning of September, just can't wait!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.