Reload this Page >

Emigrating Alone?

Emigrating Alone?

Old Feb 19th 2006, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

ClareElizabeth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigrating Alone?

Hi

I just wondered if anyone could reassure me.. I'm 29, fed up of the UK - can't afford to buy anywhere to live, crap weather, all my friends are attached etc. etc. So I'm thinking of starting a new life in Oz, but I'll be on my own and don't really know anybody there so it's a bit scary!

Has anyone done this? If so what areas would you recommend? is there a designated singletons hotspot' it's not that I'm looking for romance, just don't want to be surrounded by only families... Is it easy to find a new bunch of friends, you know, other people in the same situation?

Sorry for all the questions, it's all a bit daunting (but exciting at the same time!).

Cheers
Old Feb 19th 2006, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Emigrating Alone?

If you've thought it through and think you could make it then go for it. If you have friends here you will be able to make friends there. I'd guess that a flat near a city would be your best bet if you don't want to stay in a suburban area with families.

Though i'll be honsest in saying that you come across as though this is an off the cuff decision you've made only recently. Is that right?

What do you do for a living?
Old Feb 19th 2006, 3:10 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClareElizabeth
Hi

I just wondered if anyone could reassure me.. I'm 29, fed up of the UK - can't afford to buy anywhere to live, crap weather, all my friends are attached etc. etc. So I'm thinking of starting a new life in Oz, but I'll be on my own and don't really know anybody there so it's a bit scary!

Has anyone done this? If so what areas would you recommend? is there a designated singletons hotspot' it's not that I'm looking for romance, just don't want to be surrounded by only families... Is it easy to find a new bunch of friends, you know, other people in the same situation?

Sorry for all the questions, it's all a bit daunting (but exciting at the same time!).

Cheers
Seem to recall a similar thread recently when a fair number of people said they were emigrating 'solo'. If you can get in and you're sure it's for you, then give it a whirl. You'll make friends the same way you did here - through work, the pub, social activities, going for the same king edward in the supermarket, spilling your starbucks in their lap etc. I've always found it easier to get along socially when I've lived abroad, and the Ozzies are a friendly bunch anyway - so why not?
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:20 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Swissfabs did it! Check this out.... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354134
Hi

Cheers
Old Feb 19th 2006, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Clare,

I've dropped you a line ... I'm in the same boat, visa is in the bag and I will be heading out to Oz in April!

Mark
Old Feb 19th 2006, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chilliman
Clare,

I've dropped you a line ... I'm in the same boat, visa is in the bag and I will be heading out to Oz in April!

Mark
ahh,isnt that sweet.very thoughtfull.am sending you karma for being nice.x irish
Old Feb 19th 2006, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Originally Posted by irishbloo
ahh,isnt that sweet.very thoughtfull.am sending you karma for being nice.x irish
Thanks Irish, karma received
Old Feb 19th 2006, 7:01 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Cheers

Yeah, I'm doing it alone - Was meant to be heading out in November, but I've had a number of setbacks (One being the eternal uselessness of the student loans company) , and now planning to go later in the year, probably after Easter.

If you check back through the threads, you'll find quite a lengthy one with several of us in the same boat. The plan was to organise a meet when we all arrived, but as I have yet to do that, I'm not sure what's going to happen.

What are your skills/background for your visa application? If you need any help or advice, then everybody here is very helpful, so feel free to ask.

S
Old Feb 19th 2006, 7:31 pm

Mandy&Stu is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Cheers
Hi

My sister (31) has just done it but gone to Sydney and she's loving it - she goes on a website called www.gumtree.com me thinks - and she met people through that and also got shared accommodation in the city

Where abouts in Oz are you heading too ?
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

margoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Cheers

I went a couple of years ago alone to Perth and loved it. Unfortunately I could stay only for six months and then had to go to the Uk to sort my visa out first. Now I returned (together with my partner this time) and can tell you that I found it easier to meet people when I was on my own. I lived in shared accommodation and met some really nice guys there for example. I love it here - but I found it easier alone. You need less money, can live more simple and meet more people.

Don't let being alone put you off. If living in oz is your dream go for it... you never know what comes next!
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:49 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Nurseali is going it alone, to Adelaide, you'll find her on the nurses forum!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 2:16 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

been there, done that, have the citizenship badge to prove it
Old Feb 20th 2006, 2:33 am
Mad Nurse now in NSW

eljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of light

hi ClaireElizabeth and everyone else

I too am in the same boat, sick of the cold long hours at work etc usuall reasons. What skill will you be applying under what is your profession/trade. If you want any help this is a great place to get it or if you need any advice you can also PM me. I am a psychiatric nurse, so if i can help with any aspect that relates to this field (in case your a nurse) or if you need any help or advice PM or MSN anytime

Good look, and to be honest i have lots of friends over here and i am single, not going for oz for romance, but would like to make and meet new friends. So if your heading to Perth might see you there and have a couple of jars with you. And thats an open invitation to any and all by the way

I submuit my visa on the 14th March and I really cant wait.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Justin
Old Feb 20th 2006, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandy&Stu
Hi

a website called [url]www.gumtree.com

Scroll down the bottom til u get to the other forums section.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 9:38 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Emigrating Alone?

Hi

Cheers
My friend did it in 1999...she went to Sydney alone...her social life was/is amazing and she has so many friends now. As long as you get networking and are sociable you shouldn't have any problems at all. You'd definitely be better off living in a big city though if you're single.

Anyway, she is now married with an 1 year old and hasn't looked back!

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.