Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emigrated was your first time in Oz?

Emigrated was your first time in Oz?

Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold
Default Emigrated was your first time in Oz?

How many people have emigrated to Oz despite never having been before?

We are thinking of Oz after our America plans haven't come to anything, but as we have never been it is going to mean 18months before we can holiday there, then probably another 18months before we can get a visa, so thats nearly 3 years!

What did you do?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:32 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrated was your first time in Oz?

Straight in at the deep end for us Andy.

We hadn't even holidayed in a hot country and here we are basking in the heat and humidity of the tropics.

Ah......beautiful it is too.

Sunshine and shorts.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AndyR

We are thinking of Oz after our America plans haven't come to anything, but as we have never been it is going to mean 18months before we can holiday there, then probably another 18months before we can get a visa, so thats nearly 3 years!

What did you do?
We have only been to Oz once to validate our visas (Melbourne) as we decided to stay here until my wife had completed her nurse training.
So, 3 years on and we're about to go for good, only we're going to Cairns, FNQ which climate wise is a bit different to Melbourne (although we did do a stopover in Singapore on the way back last time and the climate there is similar to Cairns I believe)
Had 3 years to research the place though and speak to people who live there already so I'm sure we'll be fine.

Loads of people go straight out without visiting and TBH I don't think it would have made any difference to us whether we had visited or not as it's not like actually living there is it?

It's an adventure, you can always come back ! We plan on moving to Brisbane if we don't like Cairns, then Perth, then maybe NZ before admitting defeat and returning to blighty !

Andy
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cadman
It's an adventure, you can always come back ! We plan on moving to Brisbane if we don't like Cairns, then Perth, then maybe NZ before admitting defeat and returning to blighty !

Andy
Oh dear - no one mentioned magnetism to you, did they? Once you're here, you're stuck....

Bloody awful, it is.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Oh dear - no one mentioned magnetism to you, did they? Once you're here, you're stuck....

Bloody awful, it is.
So that's what it is ! Always wondered what people meant when they said they hated Oz but COULDN'T leave

you sure you're not confusing life in FNQ with the program LOST ?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Depends.....Is Kate there?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

So that's what it is ! Always wondered what people meant when they said they hated Oz but COULDN'T leave

Every week, I spend an hour on the net doing the weekly round up of UK news - telegraph, guardian, daily mail, even the sun (!) and every week that reminds me of Lost!!!!

A multi million lottery win wouldn't return me to the UK. Not a chance.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:56 am
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

What did you do?
Were just going for it Adelaide later in this year..........got a friend on the ground who has been there for 11 yrs......so were picking his brains for where to go, what sort of work etc etc.

Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

My husband was there 10 years ago as a backpacker for a year but neither myself or the 2 kids have been before. Fraid we're just jumping in at the deep end - and cant wait to take that plunge

Lynn
Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:23 pm
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

our plans to visa to USA falied aswell, so we got our visa`s for OZ, packed our bags got on a plane and the next thing we knew was getting of the plane at Brisbane airport and it was hot, and we love it so much (mywife and our two kids),as i keep saying to people thinking of migrating,
DO IT, YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE
Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

rubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of light

I came as a backpacker 6 years ago, and have been back to the UK twice

I love it, but do get homesick sometimes.....
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:08 pm
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Emigrated was your first time in Oz?

What did you do?
Hi Andy,

We had never been to Australia before we took the plunge.

We thought long and hard about doing a reccie but decided against it. The money it would have cost was much better used towards a deposit on a house. I had never met anyone EVER who didn't like OZ, and finally - -we were just not happy in the UK - -so many reasons for leaving(i'm sure you don't need me to go into them).

We arrived in August last year and have settled really well - -we have our own house which far exceeds what we could have had in the UK. Our kids have grown in so many ways(we never see them. lol)

I can honestly say(after the neighbours popped round for a couple tonight) that we have had more fun, and a better lifestyle, here in the last 5 months than we had in the Uk for the last 10 years!!!!!

No regrets whatsoever.

I reckon if you have itchy feet you just have itchy feet. Then you come up with all the reasons that justify what you really want to do.

For us it has paid off and for that I am truly grateful and happy with our move.

On the downside - -work ethics are behind big style - -so don't expect to just pick up where you left off in the UK. UK qualifications don't mean Jack.

Perseverance is the only thing you truly need- - -you'll get there - -and so what if you don't - - -you didn't come here to work - - you came here to enjoy your new lifestyle - -you don't need that much money to do that!!!!!

Take the plunge.

xRachx
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:59 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladywithatorch
Hi Andy,

We thought long and hard about doing a reccie but decided against it. The money it would have cost was much better used towards a deposit on a house. I had never met anyone EVER who didn't like OZ, and finally - -we were just not happy in the UK - -so many reasons for leaving(i'm sure you don't need me to go into them).

We arrived in August last year and have settled really well - -we have our own house which far exceeds what we could have had in the UK. Our kids have grown in so many ways(we never see them. lol)

I can honestly say(after the neighbours popped round for a couple tonight) that we have had more fun, and a better lifestyle, here in the last 5 months than we had in the Uk for the last 10 years!!!!!

No regrets whatsoever.

I reckon if you have itchy feet you just have itchy feet. Then you come up with all the reasons that justify what you really want to do.

For us it has paid off and for that I am truly grateful and happy with our move.

On the downside - -work ethics are behind big style - -so don't expect to just pick up where you left off in the UK. UK qualifications don't mean Jack.

Perseverance is the only thing you truly need- - -you'll get there - -and so what if you don't - - -you didn't come here to work - - you came here to enjoy your new lifestyle - -you don't need that much money to do that!!!!!

Take the plunge.

xRachx
What a lovely post (sniff sniff)

Sounds like just the way we look at it.

We are going to make it work !!!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Goodi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ladywithatorch
Hi Andy,

No regrets whatsoever.

Take the plunge.

xRachx
Hi Rach

Thats a really positive post. We are hoping to take the plunge later this year and planning on Adelaide too, with no reccie either. You only live once!!

Lisa
Old Jan 30th 2007, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

We'd never been to Australia before moving out last October. No regrets so far, and not missing the UK at all. I think if emigrating is in your mind then give it a go. You can always go home of you don't like it. Better that than spending the next 10 years wondering what it would have been like.

Cheers

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.