Emigrate to Oz

Old Jan 8th 2016, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrate to Oz

Triple check your points as that would be unusually high.

For example, are you including points for English? If so, to claim them points you will need to pass English exams such as ILETS. Do not assume getting the maximum points for English is easy either. I have seen English people with English degrees fail several times.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Allymac29
Yes sorted we have 85 points
Points are nothing to do with skills assessment. And skills assessment won't give you any points. To qualify for a skilled migrant visa there are two things you need to do a) pass skills assessment and b) have enough points. Two separate things. And of course there are character and health checks to pass as well.

Your skills assessment will be done by ANMAC and before you do that you would need to pass academic IELTS test (English test). You also need to check your points, because 85 is extraordinary as has been mentioned. I am not sure if the applicant is the 39 year old or 38 year old, but note that points will reduce after the 40th birthday and there is a lot to do before the application can be started.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Allymac29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Registration as a nurse is done by AHPRA nowadays. You don't need this to get the visa.

You will need a skills assessment from ANMAC before you can lodge your EOI. Having the skills assessment proves part of the points you will claim when you submit the EOI, so you need to get the skills assessment first. Then once you have lodged the EOI you wait for an invite to actually apply
I have been on ANMAC site and should be straight forward I have a degree and masters in Nursing so that should put me in good stead.
My Husband is 39 and a Coummunity worker for a NHS crisis team but has 15years experience in Forensic mental health he also has a friend who is a manager in Brisbane.
We are determined to make this happen it's just the initial process we need to get sorted many thx for advice and it all very helpful in building a plan
Old Jan 8th 2016, 7:15 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I have been on ANMAC site and should be straight forward I have a degree and masters in Nursing so that should put me in good stead.
My Husband is 39 and a Coummunity worker for a NHS crisis team but has 15years experience in Forensic mental health he also has a friend who is a manager in Brisbane.
We are determined to make this happen it's just the initial process we need to get sorted many thx for advice and it all very helpful in building a plan
If you are using your nursing to apply for the skills visa, then it is your age and experience that will count for points.

If it is your husbands qualification you are planning to use, then as advised above, age points drop considerably once you hit 40.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
If you are using your nursing to apply for the skills visa, then it is your age and experience that will count for points.

If it is your husbands qualification you are planning to use, then as advised above, age points drop considerably once you hit 40.
I will be the main applicant as a qualified registered nurse.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 7:26 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

You need to be aware that if your husband does not have a core profession then it is very unlikely he will get a job in Mental health services.

What is his profession?
Old Jan 8th 2016, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grayling
You need to be aware that if your husband does not have a core profession then it is very unlikely he will get a job in Mental health services.

What is his profession?
He is band 3 with NVQ lv 3 health care
Old Jan 8th 2016, 7:44 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

He is band 3 with NVQ lv 3 health care
That may not be enough to get him a job in Mental health.....it would probably not be recognised as a qualification......support workers do not really exist in Australia in the health services

You also need to be realistic about your own job prospects.....as I mentioned yesterday do not assume you will be offered a senior role in Australia based on your UK experience.
Most overseas nurses are employed as basic level RNs regardless of their experience. If you apply for, and are offered, a more senior role then that would be great but do not bank on it initially......things are much more difficult for nurses in Australia than they used to be....as has already been said.

You also need to be realistic about where you will live...four bed houses near the sea will be very expensive in any of the major cities....you may simply have to go to where you are offered work and any of the cities are very popular....most available jobs tend to be in less attractive places.

Last edited by Grayling; Jan 8th 2016 at 7:47 am.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 8:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

That may not be enough to get him a job in Mental health.....it would probably not be recognised as a qualification......support workers do not really exist in Australia in the health services

You also need to be realistic about your own job prospects.....as I mentioned yesterday do not assume you will be offered a senior role in Australia based on your UK experience.
Most overseas nurses are employed as basic level RNs regardless of their experience. If you apply for, and are offered, a more senior role then that would be great but do not bank on it initially......things are much more difficult for nurses in Australia than they used to be....as has already been said.

You also need to be realistic about where you will live...four bed houses near the sea will be very expensive in any of the major cities....you may simply have to go to where you are offered work and any of the cities are very popular....most available jobs tend to be in less attractive places.
You're so right about the changes, seen it first hand. Only a year/18 months ago WA were screaming for nurses when Fiona Stanley opened. One could sit back and wait for the offers to come in. But now, beating the hospital door down daily isn't enough to produce good jobs and steady work.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 8:12 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You're so right about the changes, seen it first hand. Only a year/18 months ago WA were screaming for nurses when Fiona Stanley opened. One could sit back and wait for the offers to come in. But now, beating the hospital door down daily isn't enough to produce good jobs and steady work.
Indeed

It is remarkable how things have changed over just the last couple of years.

It is not long ago that these boards were full of nurses in the process of emigrating....however the changes in registration requirements by AHPRA and the farly recent cutbacks in health spending have changed the landscape completely....that, combined with the political pressure to employ more local nurse grauates has made the process much more difficult for UK trained nurses.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Thank you this is helpful
Old Jan 8th 2016, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I am starting to feel a bit sorry for this OP! I am certainly one of the first in line to debunk all the "better for kids", "more outdoorsy" nonsense that some people (although not this OP) come out with, but it isn't all doom and gloom either.

I am sure that people can and will still come over and make a good life for themselves. But important to be realistic and do not expect everything to fall into the lap.

It is a year tomorrow since I left and I don't regret leaving but I will always look back at my time in Australia as a great time. I will be back one day, but not again in my working life. UK is better for work.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I am starting to feel a bit sorry for this OP! I am certainly one of the first in line to debunk all the "better for kids", "more outdoorsy" nonsense that some people (although not this OP) come out with, but it isn't all doom and gloom either.

I am sure that people can and will still come over and make a good life for themselves. But important to be realistic and do not expect everything to fall into the lap.

It is a year tomorrow since I left and I don't regret leaving but I will always look back at my time in Australia as a great time. I will be back one day, but not again in my working life. UK is better for work.
Reading some of people's comments they seem very negative and makes me feel that you had bad experiences in Oz. Since I have been looking into emigrating I have been offered 2 jobs one in Brisbane and one in New south Wales both within the Eating Disorders services both private and both with a salary between 83000-98000 dollars. I had a chat with them and was advised that my Degree was transferable and see no reason why our we would not pass the skills assessment. Any view on both places I have been reading about these online but it's seems more honest within this site
Old Jan 8th 2016, 10:11 am
Bitter and twisted

Reading some of people's comments they seem very negative and makes me feel that you had bad experiences in Oz. Since I have been looking into emigrating I have been offered 2 jobs one in Brisbane and one in New south Wales both within the Eating Disorders services both private and both with a salary between 83000-98000 dollars. I had a chat with them and was advised that my Degree was transferable and see no reason why our we would not pass the skills assessment. Any view on both places I have been reading about these online but it's seems more honest within this site
If you already have a job offer that will make life a lot easier....are they prepared to wait for you to get registered and to get a visa?.....both can take a fair amount of time.

As I said earlier be very careful with a 457 visa as it is temporary but may suit you.

None of this alters your husband's position re work.

People are not being negative.... More realistic.
Another thing to be aware of is that mental health services are different to the UK and not in a good way...the private sector tends to be very medically oriented and more concerned with income than outcomes! (I was a manager in a private service in Brisbane and it was a bit of an eye opener).

On another note....Brisbane does not really have any beaches...there are a few on the bayside but they are not anything special. The nearest 'proper' beaches are about an hour away at the Gold coast or Bibie Island.

Whereabouts in NSW?.....it is a very big place!
Old Jan 8th 2016, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of things. I'm not sure how you've been offered a job without a visa? Were they willing to sponsor you for a 457? I didn't think it was legal for an Australian entity to offer a job without verifying a right to work in Oz or starting the sponsorship process?

Keep in mind that it's easy for a company to 'offer' a job in theory and let you do the all the visa work but that's not an offer, that's just theory, albeit great great info for you:thumb up:

I'm not being negative. As separate line items, what you require is easily achievable but as I say, it's the combination of what you want that will be difficult. The best thing you can do for yourself is get your head around the way Oz cities are structured and transport links. These are the drivers that cause the steep rise in the cost of living.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.