Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To emigrate or not to emigrate? Pros and Cons please!

To emigrate or not to emigrate? Pros and Cons please!

Old Oct 29th 2005, 8:55 pm
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice
Default Re: To emigrate or not to emigrate? Pros and Cons please!

Originally Posted by arkon
Linda Lushardi Just because I said someone that holidays in Torremolinos will like it here, doesn't mean I was acting like a superior being, Just different. If you think I was sounding superior then its you that read that into what I said.
In one of your posts you said that you were situated somewhere "NSW mid north coast" Not having a good handle yet on the regional names would that be between Sydney and Newcastle or Newcastle and up, as it would be nice to know to what area your remarks/feelings are based on/about.

Cheers Nicky
Old Oct 30th 2005, 12:24 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by halflinggirl2000
In one of your posts you said that you were situated somewhere "NSW mid north coast" Not having a good handle yet on the regional names would that be between Sydney and Newcastle or Newcastle and up, as it would be nice to know to what area your remarks/feelings are based on/about.

Cheers Nicky
We are about 3 hours north of north Sydney about 2 hours north of Newcastle. About half hour North of Taree and about 45 minutes South of Port Mcquarrie. I'd always wanted to live like Felicity Kendle in the Good life and when we came here choose this place for that reason mainly. All I can say is be carefull what you wish for. One thing I can definately say is we needed to be nearer a city, We are too young to retire to this kind of lifestye.
The place here is Beutifull there is no doubt about that and the weather is probably some of the best your likley to get here and there are excellent beaches close by. But if none of these things on there own float your boat then there is nothing else here for you. (I'm talking about where we are here, not Australia as a whole)
Old Oct 30th 2005, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

We are about 3 hours north of north Sydney about 2 hours north of Newcastle. About half hour North of Taree and about 45 minutes South of Port Mcquarrie. I'd always wanted to live like Felicity Kendle in the Good life and when we came here choose this place for that reason mainly. All I can say is be carefull what you wish for. One thing I can definately say is we needed to be nearer a city, We are too young to retire to this kind of lifestye.
The place here is Beutifull there is no doubt about that and the weather is probably some of the best your likley to get here and there are excellent beaches close by. But if none of these things on there own float your boat then there is nothing else here for you. (I'm talking about where we are here, not Australia as a whole)
I've said it before, and I'll say it again (even though I promised myself I wouldn't ) - you would have to be the most misunderstood person on this board, Arkon.

I don't think you make sweeping generalisations, I think you are very area-specific and gripe-specific. I think your use of metaphor and simile could be misconstrued as generalising, though. It's a kind of shorthand you use to make a point and for some reason instead of its being seen as a literary style some folks think you are having a dig at them.

It takes guts to come on here and speak your personal truth time after time and deal as patiently as you do with your detractors. You, as far as I can remember, have never resorted to personal insults, you just add explanation.

There is an old saying - "Never complain, never explain" to which you don't seem to subscribe!

I also think it was sensible to refer the OP to your earlier posts by doing a search for herself rather than stir up a hornet's nest (whoops I'm metaphoring now!), then you got accused of generalising.

Face it, Arkon, few people see you and your posts the way you do, and you've got a lot of pushing uphill to do to stay sane on this board and stay on the mid-North coast. Why do you do it to yourself?

I know you've committed to property and a business as well as the move, and when you feel like that it's hard to see a way out. Yet there will be one, if you take some time out and think laterally.

Good luck.
TC
Old Oct 30th 2005, 9:41 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopCat3
I've said it before, and I'll say it again (even though I promised myself I wouldn't ) - you would have to be the most misunderstood person on this board, Arkon.

I don't think you make sweeping generalisations, I think you are very area-specific and gripe-specific. I think your use of metaphor and simile could be misconstrued as generalising, though. It's a kind of shorthand you use to make a point and for some reason instead of its being seen as a literary style some folks think you are having a dig at them.

It takes guts to come on here and speak your personal truth time after time and deal as patiently as you do with your detractors. You, as far as I can remember, have never resorted to personal insults, you just add explanation.

There is an old saying - "Never complain, never explain" to which you don't seem to subscribe!

I also think it was sensible to refer the OP to your earlier posts by doing a search for herself rather than stir up a hornet's nest (whoops I'm metaphoring now!), then you got accused of generalising.

Face it, Arkon, few people see you and your posts the way you do, and you've got a lot of pushing uphill to do to stay sane on this board and stay on the mid-North coast. Why do you do it to yourself?

I know you've committed to property and a business as well as the move, and when you feel like that it's hard to see a way out. Yet there will be one, if you take some time out and think laterally.

Good luck.
TC
Thanks TC at least someone out there can see what I'm trying to say, and yes I do think its my style of writing that gets me into the most trouble. Most times what I write seems witty to me in my head as I write or said a bit tongue in cheek. I can also see why people think that I generalise, but as I’ve said if more often or not I get short changed then I'm bound to think its a national pastime. No different I think than stereotyping, which I never used to subscribe to and would not usually judge a book by its cover but then after 10 years of employing people you do start to stereotype because people do more often or not fit a stereotype, and the reason for this waffle is that based on my time here most of the people do fit into a couple of types that I’m not going to describe for fear of a lynching. And if it does come over as generalising then there’s another old saying about ‘if a shoe fits’.

As for why I do it (post on here)…. Too much time indoors with weather or mossies keeping me off the land, then the need to counter the “I’m moving from uk to Oz because of XXXX (replace with social, economic or criminal act here),when they all exist here in varying quantities. Also when people ask for pro’s and con’s then why not reply with the con’s as I see them, seeing as 25-50% return home I’m obviously not alone in my perceptions of the place.

Last edited by arkon; Oct 30th 2005 at 9:45 am.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 9:44 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Oh and we now have a plan of action. I'm putting the farm up for sale now and over the next few months we are going to scout out Melborne and Brisbane and early next year return to the UK for a holiday just to make sure the UK is how we left it!
Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:07 am
Just Joined

The Aardvaark is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck.
TC

I also follow Arkon's posts and I couldn't have put it better myself.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Oh and we now have a plan of action. I'm putting the farm up for sale now and over the next few months we are going to scout out Melborne and Brisbane and early next year return to the UK for a holiday just to make sure the UK is how we left it!
That's fantastic!
I was just downstairs for an hour or two doing some cooking for the week and my thoughts turned to you and this thread and "all that". And I thought to myself, why doesn't he just sell up so he's not tied and go and rent in a few cities for a few months at a time, just taking whatever work he can, and see where he likes to be best? And take a trip to UK to make sure it's not just nostalgia and rose-tints? Then decide, and by then, the dog... well, we won't go there. Mmmm...perhaps I should PM him.

Then I come back up for a sneaky peek before bed and lo and behold-you took the words out of my mouth!

Don't bypass Sydney. Whilst it might not be the place to settle it might be good to spend a month or two here just to put perspective on all the other places. The northern beaches are very nice and the Inner West is interesting with all its different cultural flavours side by side in the different suburbs.

Don't you feel a whole heap better just having a game plan?
Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:59 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

That's fantastic!
Don't you feel a whole heap better just having a game plan?
In a word yes. I think I'd resigned myself to never selling this place without throwing away a couple hundred thousand. Where I am only 1 other property is for sale in this price bracket so its doubtfull a local could afford it, but I've just got some prices for selling it on the web only sites and its none too bad and gives me a national and international audience for it. so fingers crossed.

We spent 2 months in Sydney and the trafic would drive me bonkers, I did like hornsby though apart from the paralysis ticks and lychees that infest the area. Were off to melborne for a week to have a look see, we need cooler and places to eat out, the restraunts here are pants and I'd kill for a decent chinese and indian.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 11:31 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

You, as far as I can remember, have never resorted to personal insults...
*strokes chin thoughtfully*
Old Oct 30th 2005, 11:33 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Good onya Arkon. Good to see you're doing something about it all.

Paul.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 11:37 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Hutch
*strokes chin thoughtfully*
Errrr, yes I did once throw a personal insult when I called you a knob, for which I do appologise, I then quickly realised I was lowering myself to the normal standard on here and havn't done it since. At least you have the honour of being the only person I've called a knob.

I know we don't get on, so lets not start fighting, I just don't reply to any of your posts (except this one) and I think it will be for the best. BE is full of enough childish name calling without me adding to the problem.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

In a word yes. I think I'd resigned myself to never selling this place without throwing away a couple hundred thousand. Where I am only 1 other property is for sale in this price bracket so its doubtfull a local could afford it, but I've just got some prices for selling it on the web only sites and its none too bad and gives me a national and international audience for it. so fingers crossed.

We spent 2 months in Sydney and the trafic would drive me bonkers, I did like hornsby though apart from the paralysis ticks and lychees that infest the area. Were off to melborne for a week to have a look see, we need cooler and places to eat out, the restraunts here are pants and I'd kill for a decent chinese and indian.
For cooler and restaurants, Melbourne would probably fit the bill nicely for you. Lygon street I think is the restaurant street. Tell Mrs A shopping is wonderful esp shoes. (and they wear them, there). Melbourne is more genteel and a little more formal and correct and reserved than Sydney, Yes, I think from what I know of you it might suit you well. Brisbane is very hot and humid, however.
TC
Old Oct 31st 2005, 2:23 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

The reason I never wrote any details is that since coming on BE I have consitantly posted what I don't like about Australia and I think it must be about 500 posts by now. If you do an advanced search on my name you will see all that I don't like about it here. I couldn't see the point in writing them all out again now, not only because it was late and my bed was calling but because the lady wanted advice and if I gave her my pro's and con's again it would have cause another flame and ruined another good thread (just like your trying to do now). If you think its a sweeping generalisation then that doesn't bother me at all, if every experience I have had here is crap then from my veiwpoint it's not a generalization. for example EVERY piece of customer service I have had here has been friendly but poor so as far as I'm concerened ALL customer sevice is crap here and until I get a good experience then thats all I can post.

Back to the OP, who clearly one international move hasn't quite worked out and she is considering this country as an alternative and my advice is 'don't do it girl' Go back to the UK it really is much better IMO!
The thing is Arkon whilst these 500 posts you have made are all valid facts from your experience they are not necessarily valid facts for australia as a whole.

As an example, whilst at Uni in Glasgow I got mugged twice, once of which was by a student from a school for the deaf. Does that mean that 50% of all muggings in Glasgow are committed by deaf people ? Based purely on my experience yes it does, but I'm sensible enough to know that my experience is not representative for everybody who lives in or visits Glasgow. I was just unlucky. The vast majority of people in glasgow never even get mugged once, let alone twice.

I think you are also sensible enough to know that your experiences in OZ are not representative for everybody who lives in Australia (if they were, OZ would have been depopulated a long time ago ) However they are certainly valid points to be considered and planned for - when we moved here we did worst case scenario planning so when things turned out "normal" we felt we had won a watch so to speak.

You seem to have been very unlucky in your new life. Hope things get better from now on.

Last edited by Vegemite Kids; Oct 31st 2005 at 2:28 am. Reason: forgot stuff
Old Oct 31st 2005, 2:56 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Julie T
We're thinking of emigrating to either Australia or New Zealand from the island of Jersey. I'd appreciate an honest appraisal of the pros and cons of emigrating to Australia.

I'm a qualified accountant and my husband is a retail manager, we have a daughter aged one. We have a good life in the UK, but fell in love with both Australia and New Zealand when we visited a few years ago.

How easy is it to apply for residency? Can anyone recommended a route?

What is the job situation like over there?

I'd love to hear about your experiences - are you happy you made the move?

Cheers

Julie
To put it in a nutshell Julie

Pros : Its different

Cons : Its different

My experience is not typical for this forum cos I'm 6th generation Australian, but left as a teenager to finish my education in Europe, went to Uni in Scotland, after which I got a job in France. Then got married, moved round Europe for a bit, went to the middle east, back to Europe, got divorced, moved round a bit more and finally 24 years later came back to OZ with my new hubby and we are both loving it.

New hubby had never been to OZ before and came on blind trust, but is having a ball.

For him the main positive is that he has been able to give up his engineering job and retrain as an apprentice stonemason. The down side for him is missing his mum and sister although his mum has been for 2 visits already so thats helped.

For me the main positives are the stability (knowing I never need to move country again) and the fact that my arthritis is much much better and I havent had to use my calipers in over a year. In fact if you saw me now you wouldnt even know I had arthritis. The negatives for me are none, other than the possibility that hubby might change his mind one day and want to go back to Europe.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 5:17 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
I think you are also sensible enough to know that your experiences in OZ are not representative for everybody who lives in Australia (if they were, OZ would have been depopulated a long time ago
I thought Australia was depopulating, I can't remember where I read it but it said that Australia was unable to sustain its population levels unless it stepped immigration up massively.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.