Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Embrace the opportunity!

Embrace the opportunity!

Old Mar 17th 2003, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

loulou74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Embrace the opportunity!

Time seems to be rushing past. After so long when time was dragging this is a welcome relief. We leave for Perth on 9th April, which is just around the corner. My last day of work is this Friday- YIPEE, and thats followed by a get-rat-arsed leaving do- YIPEE. Then on Monday 24th all our belongings get shipped to Oz, and I think at that point it will all seem very real. At the moment nothing has really changed. I am still working, we still live in the same house surrounded by our belongings, and I have only had to say goodbye to one person. So I can not imagine how its all going to feel when reality hits home. Will I be happy or sad???? I think a mixture of both. This moving to the other side of the planet lark is definately a rollercoaster of emotions.

I just also wanted to say that if things dont work out in Australia we would not see it as a failure to come home. We would, on the other hand, see it as a failure if we didnt at least try this new life. There is not failure in trying it out for size.

Louise
Old Mar 17th 2003, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

HazelG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope all goes well in your new life.
Best of luck
Hazel
Old Mar 17th 2003, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sindy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Embrace the opportunity!

Originally posted by loulou74

I just also wanted to say that if things dont work out in Australia we would not see it as a failure to come home. We would, on the other hand, see it as a failure if we didnt at least try this new life. There is not failure in trying it out for size.

Louise
Good luck, I hope all works out well. I think you hit the nail on the head when you say you are only a failure if you don't try.

All the best

Sindy
Old Mar 17th 2003, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

BigBill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Embrace the opportunity!

Originally posted by loulou74
Time seems to be rushing past. After so long when time was dragging this is a welcome relief. We leave for Perth on 9th April, which is just around the corner. My last day of work is this Friday- YIPEE, and thats followed by a get-rat-arsed leaving do- YIPEE. Then on Monday 24th all our belongings get shipped to Oz, and I think at that point it will all seem very real. At the moment nothing has really changed. I am still working, we still live in the same house surrounded by our belongings, and I have only had to say goodbye to one person. So I can not imagine how its all going to feel when reality hits home. Will I be happy or sad???? I think a mixture of both. This moving to the other side of the planet lark is definately a rollercoaster of emotions.

Louise

Best of luck !!!
Old Mar 17th 2003, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Louise

Hope it does work out for you good luck in Perth

Terry
Old Mar 17th 2003, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point

My sentiments exactly! All the best..
Old Mar 18th 2003, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for all your messages. I don't write very often on this forum, but with all the negative posts recently I felt that I should remind everyone of the failure in not trying. I am a firm believer in having a go, even if you make abit of a fool of yourself. I have a massive amount to lose by going to Oz, but if I decided not to go I would spend the rest of my life saying ' I wonder what my life would have been like if I had gone to Oz'.

Louise
Old Mar 18th 2003, 12:00 pm
FOX
Forum Regular

FOX is an unknown quantity at this point

We too leave very soon, 13 April. I leave work next Tuesday and then we have a mammoth round of goodbyes till we leave! I totally agree with what you have said, the waiting for the visa seemed to last an eternity, and then when you get that piece of paper it is a bit like Christmas morning, an anticlimax, however in the last week we have changed all our money and yesterday said good bye to all our belongings, and I promise you when you watch that lorry leave and walk back into your empty house, then it feels very real!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with the move next week, we didn't realise how much that was weighing on us until it had all gone yesterday! If you are anything like me, you should invest in some kleenex, it will be an emotional few weeks!!

Sarah
Old Mar 18th 2003, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

I think you are right about the kleenex. I have been saying goodbye to people at work all day. And its starting to get to me a little. It still doesnt feel quite real, if that makes sense. And the more we wait for all this, the more nervous we seem to get. You just keep thinking of all the things that can go wrong! Anyway, best of luck to you. Hope all goes well. Louise