Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emails via this board from 'The Times'

Emails via this board from 'The Times'

Old Nov 6th 2003, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Emails via this board from 'The Times'

I've just had an email via the forum from someone claiming to be a correspondent with The Times newspaper, and wanting information on my experiences living abroad.

The email came form a hotmail account - does anyone else think it strange that a Times journalist would use a hotmail account for research?!

Maybe just something for other forum members to be wary of before they divulge any information...unless I'm being overly cynical here!

HP
Old Nov 6th 2003, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice
Default Re: Emails via this board from 'The Times'

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
I've just had an email via the forum from someone claiming to be a correspondent with The Times newspaper, and wanting information on my experiences living abroad.

The email came form a hotmail account - does anyone else think it strange that a Times journalist would use a hotmail account for research?!

Maybe just something for other forum members to be wary of before they divulge any information...unless I'm being overly cynical here!

HP

It could be a freelance journalist, they have their own email addresses and would use that for research, but safest bet would be to check their name with the travel section of the paper - I think their number is 0207 782 5000 but I could be wrong!!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Jase the ace is an unknown quantity at this point

No hidden you are right to question this e mail. If the person is genuine they will give you some other means to ID themselves so you can verify their identity.
Do not give them any details about yourself until you are satisfied, and you should not give details about yourself on an unsecure site over the net.
If the person wants info about living abroad from you, they could probably get enough info from your previous posts to do a general article about life abroad.
Regards
Jase
PS have you decided whether to come back to uk or not?
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Jase the ace
No hidden you are right to question this e mail. If the person is genuine they will give you some other means to ID themselves so you can verify their identity.
Do not give them any details about yourself until you are satisfied, and you should not give details about yourself on an unsecure site over the net.
If the person wants info about living abroad from you, they could probably get enough info from your previous posts to do a general article about life abroad.
Regards
Jase
PS have you decided whether to come back to uk or not?

I'd totally agree with that. We had a right weirdo contact us from this website. Not saying this is the case here but it pays to check it out!!

Was also wondering if you were still going back you seemed a bit worried last week. Hope its all going well for you and the bub.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Jase, Dotty
Thanks for your replies.
Yes, going back in Dec so frantically trying to organise things. Dec was supposed to be a month long holiday - it's now a one-way trip. Going back to have the baby. Excited but also got very, very cold feet now it's actually a reality. We'll see how we settle - could be back again 12 months!!
HP

p.s. thankyou too Poppy!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:23 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the others HP, thats a bit sus - actually very sus ..... also a bizarre co-incidence since I was just posting yesterday how my FIL was a correspondent with the Times? Not anymore I might hasten to add!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Actually, I just re-read the entire email and it would seem that the journalist regsitered with Expats under a hotmail account, but deeper into the email it gives a Times email address. I was a bit suspicious as I thought most people would just hit reply and the info therefore go to the hotmail a/c - and thought the Times email address was a dummy just thrown into the middle of the message to make it look genuine. I guess if I want to repsond I can check their authenticity via the Times email address.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Jase the ace is an unknown quantity at this point

Hidden,
Why dont' you ask him or her for his name and the dept at the Times he or she works and you can ring direct to check.
If he or she is genuine leave you number then they can phone you (save money).
This happens to me all the time, I phone people staing I'm a police officer and the amount of people who ask for the station number so they can call back to verify who am is increasing.I have no problem with this as I am who I say I am and respect that peolpe are cautious. This is good in this day and age.
Jase
Ps After youve been back in the UK a while I wont be surprised to see you on this forum counting down to going back to OZ.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Jase the ace
After youve been back in the UK a while I wont be surprised to see you on this forum counting down to going back to OZ.
I know...I was contemplating the other day whether I would still be eligible to post once I was a 're-pat'. But if I am planning a return maybe I could sneak on here once in a while!