Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electricty, Phone, Gas, Broadband etc in Melbourne - who do you use?

Electricty, Phone, Gas, Broadband etc in Melbourne - who do you use?

Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:55 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Electricty, Phone, Gas, Broadband etc in Melbourne - who do you use?

I'm doing research right now on who to use, there seems to be quite a few companies that provide the aforementioned services, and to be honest I have no idea who to contact. I will be living alone, in a one bedroomed flat, and just need the basics, with a broadband internet connection if possible. I checked out Telstra, they seem to have a good deal on the phone line - $19.99 per month for a low usage plan, but other then that I am confused with which electricty, water, gas, internet provider I should go for. Any recommendations anyone?
Old Jun 12th 2007, 3:26 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Electricty, Phone, Gas, Broadband etc in Melbourne - who do you use?

Have a look through this.

http://www.migratetovictoria.startsuper.nl/
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:12 am
C&R

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricty, Phone, Gas, Broadband etc in Melbourne - who do you use?

Originally Posted by Bordy
Thanks for that, but I cannot get the page up, maybe it is a problem at my end?

So no-one else uses any elecky or water in Melbourne then : (
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:17 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C&R
Thanks for that, but I cannot get the page up, maybe it is a problem at my end?

So no-one else uses any elecky or water in Melbourne then : (
Water: I may be wrong on this, but you don't choose a water supplier, it's just whoever the supplier already is at that property?

Leccy: We're with AGL. Not really had to contact them for anything. Couldn't tell you if they are any cheaper/dearer than anyone else.

Internet/Phone: STAY AWAY FROM OPTUS.
Very good website to help you choose: http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

Last edited by mackinnon; Jun 13th 2007 at 1:29 am.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:28 am
C&R

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Water: I may be wrong on this, but you don't choose a water supplier, it's just whoever the supplier already is at that property?

Leccy: We're with AGL. Not really had to contact them for anything. Couldn't tell you if they are any cheaper/dearer than anyone else.

Internet/Phone: STAY AWAY FROM OPTUS. OR TELSTRA.

Very good website to help you choose: http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/
Thanks alot!! you seem to be my online problem solver when it comes to Melbourne. By the way, I ended up using run properties, and am due to rent a property with them in Hawthorn. If you had not mentioned them in a previous post, I would not have found somewhere to live in the short time I had. Thanks alot.

I read somewhere, that its easier to go with the utility companies the previous tenant used, do you think the property agent will be able to tell me that info? Run properties tried to get me to use connectnow.com did you use them at all to connect the elec, telephone etc? They say they will choose the best options for you, and their service is free. It sounds a bit sus to me though..
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:38 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C&R
Thanks alot!! you seem to be my online problem solver when it comes to Melbourne. By the way, I ended up using run properties, and am due to rent a property with them in Hawthorn. If you had not mentioned them in a previous post, I would not have found somewhere to live in the short time I had. Thanks alot.

I read somewhere, that its easier to go with the utility companies the previous tenant used, do you think the property agent will be able to tell me that info? Run properties tried to get me to use connectnow.com did you use them at all to connect the elec, telephone etc? They say they will choose the best options for you, and their service is free. It sounds a bit sus to me though..
Don't use connectnow, it'll just cause more hassle in the long-term.

Run should be able to tell you the contact details for leccy. Telstra will own your landline, then it's up to you to pick a phone/internet provider, althouhg Telstra charge these people a connection fee.

Glad you got a place! Like I said in my previous post, Run's competency at other things may or may not be so good. Watch your bank account when your 1st month's rent is due off; we paid them 1month rent in the form of a bank cheque as bond, then then 1st month rent in advance was due to come out the bank......they took 2 months worth out, as one dept. hadn't realised I had already given a cheque to the other dept.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:46 am
C&R

Run should be able to tell you the contact details for leccy. Telstra will own your landline, then it's up to you to pick a phone/internet provider, althouhg Telstra charge these people a connection fee.

Glad you got a place! Like I said in my previous post, Run's competency at other things may or may not be so good. Watch your bank account when your 1st month's rent is due off; we paid them 1month rent in the form of a bank cheque as bond, then then 1st month rent in advance was due to come out the bank......they took 2 months worth out, as one dept. hadn't realised I had already given a cheque to the other dept.
oooh the cheeky buggers. Don't worry, I will be keeping a close eye on my finances. Ok, I will steer clear of connectnow. I kind of had a feeling they would be more trouble then they are worth, I found the woman who called me quite aggresive. Is your gas with AGL too?

When you first rented your property with Run, did they give you a document that you used to describe the state of the property when you moved in? [I can't remember the official name of it] I have not been given this yet, but maybe they will do it when I collect my keys.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:00 am
Home.

Originally Posted by C&R
oooh the cheeky buggers. Don't worry, I will be keeping a close eye on my finances. Ok, I will steer clear of connectnow. I kind of had a feeling they would be more trouble then they are worth, I found the woman who called me quite aggresive. Is your gas with AGL too?

When you first rented your property with Run, did they give you a document that you used to describe the state of the property when you moved in? [I can't remember the official name of it] I have not been given this yet, but maybe they will do it when I collect my keys.
Yes, Run will give you one of those docs to fill out.

We don't have gas; not many places in Australia have it.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:08 am
C&R

hey, can I ask what happened, and why you discourage using connectnow. I have just received an email from them, and they make it seem so easy, what happened to give you this bad impression?
Old Jun 14th 2007, 12:31 am
Home.

Originally Posted by C&R
hey, can I ask what happened, and why you discourage using connectnow. I have just received an email from them, and they make it seem so easy, what happened to give you this bad impression?
Usually when we move to a new place in Scotland it's me who does all the setting up of the utility accounts, however this time I let my wife do it & she went through connectnow because it was handed on a plate to her.

They told her over the phone about the deals "best suited to her" , however when the first letter came through from Optus the Internet specifications were different than what we asked for.

When we told Optus they said that was what connectnow had asked for. Getting hold of the girl at connectnow who my wife had spoken to proved difficult, then when we did get her she wasn't quite as helpful as when she had been selling us her service. It then became difficult getting things changed with Optus as we had to get connectnow to admit responsibility.

These companies rely on getting hold of people at weak moments; of course anyone who has just moved, no matter how far, has tons of things flying around in their head. That's when these services become tempting.

The reality is all the information you need to make an informed choice is readily available on the internet. That link I gave you for the broadband consumer website should help. There will be similar comparative websites around for other utilities too.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 12:43 am
C&R

Usually when we move to a new place in Scotland it's me who does all the setting up of the utility accounts, however this time I let my wife do it & she went through connectnow because it was handed on a plate to her.

They told her over the phone about the deals "best suited to her" , however when the first letter came through from Optus the Internet specifications were different than what we asked for.

When we told Optus they said that was what connectnow had asked for. Getting hold of the girl at connectnow who my wife had spoken to proved difficult, then when we did get her she wasn't quite as helpful as when she had been selling us her service. It then became difficult getting things changed with Optus as we had to get connectnow to admit responsibility.

These companies rely on getting hold of people at weak moments; of course anyone who has just moved, no matter how far, has tons of things flying around in their head. That's when these services become tempting.

The reality is all the information you need to make an informed choice is readily available on the internet. That link I gave you for the broadband consumer website should help. There will be similar comparative websites around for other utilities too.
thanks for this, when I got the email yesterday, they did mention that Optus were their recommended telephone/internet provider and also TRU Energy. I then responded saying I wanted to be connected with Telstra because I knew they had a low usage plan which I wanted to sign up to. They then responded saying they would contact Telstra and then Telstra would ring me back to discuss the connection. Whats the point in that? I may as well just contact Telstra myself now, and organise it all myself rather then going through a third party. I think Run Property also get some kind of incentive from connectnow, hence why 'Joanne' was so eager to tick the box on the application form, and get connectnow to contact me.

The only reason I considered connectnow, was because I am not sure which leccy & gas companies to use. Is there any way of finding out what the previous tenant was using do you know? I doubt Run are going to tell me, because then they will know I am not using connectnow.

I have scoured the broadband website link you posted, that is a great site. I think I will go for iinet [sp]. But obviously cannot set this up without getting Telstra connected.

When you moved into your flat, did Run come with you, and make sure you knew where the leccy and gas meters/fuse box etc were located?
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

youarestupid is an unknown quantity at this point

makes absolutely no difference who the previous people were connected with
Old Jul 25th 2007, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

We're with TRU energy for gas and electricity and optus for phone/internet. Never had any complaints about either of them. We have moved once since being here - they were both very good and arranged everything with no hassles at all.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:23 am
Don't use It's green card

baconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of light

Agl for gas, we try to use them for elec but they are useless and not capable of producing a bill, so we've had a year of free electricity. I am not sure if I am recomending them or not here ?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 10:53 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by C&R
I'm doing research right now on who to use, there seems to be quite a few companies that provide the aforementioned services, and to be honest I have no idea who to contact. I will be living alone, in a one bedroomed flat, and just need the basics, with a broadband internet connection if possible. I checked out Telstra, they seem to have a good deal on the phone line - $19.99 per month for a low usage plan, but other then that I am confused with which electricty, water, gas, internet provider I should go for. Any recommendations anyone?
Been in Melbourne 5 years.

Always had Electricity/Gas with Origin (www.originenergy.com.au)
Moved once 2 years ago and the transfer to the new residence was seamless.
Their billing has always been flawless.
Very happy with these guys - can certainly recommend them.

Basic phone rental with Telstra.
Really only use it for the line required for ADSL which we get from internode (www.internode.on.net).
Again, very happy with the quality of service from Internode. No complaints there on the $55 a month plan we have with them (a fast 1500k/256k service with 10Gb allowance, shaped to 64k once you breach that)

We use prepay Vodafone mobiles. The $29 jumbo cap recharge gives $130 dollars of call credit a month which always seems to allow us to make all the calls we need. Works great in urban areas but once you get anywhere near the bush don't expect to get service !

For international calls, we use the TPG Virtual Phone Card service (www.tpg.com.au/vccard) which automatically tops up at $20 a time via credit card whenever it gets low. Local call to the Melbourne gateway number and then you are paying 3 cents a minute for your call to europe.
Finally settled on this service after having tried various intl call cards but this was the one that offered the most reliable and consistent service. Again no complaints there.

Hope thats of some help. Good to know we may be able to use our experiences to possibly help guide some new arrivals.

Cheers

Barney
www.barneyhenry.com

Last edited by @boy; Jul 26th 2007 at 11:31 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.