Electrics

Old Aug 30th 2010, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Shenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant future
Talking Electrics

Hi I am very new to the site and have been in the UK since 98 but am planning on moving back home next year. Could any sparky tell me if when taking electrical appliances back is it easier to take sockets and have them installed in Oz or buying and using adaptors or just change the plugs when it gets there?
Much appreciate any help.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 12:04 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrics

Hi there and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including...... can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

I'm not a sparky but I can tell you that this question comes up a lot and having moved from the UK to Oz four years ago, I can answer some of it for you.

One option is to get some UK powerboards and just put an aussies plug on the end (preferably for low wattage items only). I did this for my computer set up which as you know can end up having a lot of plugs. If you do this, bring some replacement fuses with you just in case. In theory an RCD will cut in before a fuse blows but you never know. Well worth bringing your multi outlet surge protected board if you have one.

The Aussie supply is only rated at 10 amps, not 13 and some UK power cables are quite a bit thicker and it's a real game trying to re-wire into an Aussie plug sometimes.

You can get single adaptors and they are getting cheaper now. But, they are a bit big and you can't always fit two side by side into a double socket.

By all means though, have a butchers around the rest of the site. There's lots to see!

Alistair.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 12:49 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shenni
Hi I am very new to the site and have been in the UK since 98 but am planning on moving back home next year. Could any sparky tell me if when taking electrical appliances back is it easier to take sockets and have them installed in Oz or buying and using adaptors or just change the plugs when it gets there?
Much appreciate any help.
Further to my earlier reply, my electrician was quite happy to fit a couple of UK sockets in my office. Not sure if it's strictly legal but he said that they are commonly fitted in decent hotels nowadays. And frankly, as they are a far better quality, there shoudn't be a problem.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 12:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Hi there and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including...... can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

I'm not a sparky but I can tell you that this question comes up a lot and having moved from the UK to Oz four years ago, I can answer some of it for you.

One option is to get some UK powerboards and just put an aussies plug on the end (preferably for low wattage items only). I did this for my computer set up which as you know can end up having a lot of plugs. If you do this, bring some replacement fuses with you just in case. In theory an RCD will cut in before a fuse blows but you never know. Well worth bringing your multi outlet surge protected board if you have one.

The Aussie supply is only rated at 10 amps, not 13 and some UK power cables are quite a bit thicker and it's a real game trying to re-wire into an Aussie plug sometimes.

You can get single adaptors and they are getting cheaper now. But, they are a bit big and you can't always fit two side by side into a double socket.

By all means though, have a butchers around the rest of the site. There's lots to see!

Alistair.
I'd reinforce the powerboard idea. I can't believe how few power points there are in houses here - my whole 2 bed unit has only five in the whole place. I've had more powerboards sent over since I came out. Same with fuses - don't know what it was like when you left but Aussie plugs have no fuses now so you can't buy them here.

Also - if you are getting UK plugs taken off and Aus plugs put on to appliances, rather than just using adapters, be warned - its illegal in some States if not done by a qualified electrician and can invalidate insurance in the event of a fire.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 12:50 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Further to my earlier reply, my electrician was quite happy to fit a couple of UK sockets in my office. Not sure if it's strictly legal but he said that they are commonly fitted in decent hotels nowadays. And frankly, as they are a far better quality, there shoudn't be a problem.
Lucky git, will he travel to Qld?
Old Aug 30th 2010, 1:07 pm
221b Baker Street

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Lucky git, will he travel to Qld?
At a price....as I know! He lives 50 klms away from me but at least he turns up - six months late, but he turns up.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Shenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'd reinforce the powerboard idea. I can't believe how few power points there are in houses here - my whole 2 bed unit has only five in the whole place. I've had more powerboards sent over since I came out. Same with fuses - don't know what it was like when you left but Aussie plugs have no fuses now so you can't buy them here.

Also - if you are getting UK plugs taken off and Aus plugs put on to appliances, rather than just using adapters, be warned - its illegal in some States if not done by a qualified electrician and can invalidate insurance in the event of a fire.
Hi, and many thanks to those who have replied so far.
Post 7 I must be unusual for an aussie then as my house has more power points per room than your whole unit/ flat.

I think I will attack it in 2 ways, some power sockets from here and the extension boards that I already have here because there is not enough power points here. The fact that there are fuses in the items here is not really concerning me. I did not want to replace the plugs if I could find another way around it.

Again many thanks for the replies, so far I have had 12 years of an extended holiday in the UK and obtained my nursing qualifications and things have changed in Oz which now means that I should go back full time.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 4:26 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Shenni
Hi, and many thanks to those who have replied so far.
Post 7 I must be unusual for an aussie then as my house has more power points per room than your whole unit/ flat.

I think I will attack it in 2 ways, some power sockets from here and the extension boards that I already have here because there is not enough power points here. The fact that there are fuses in the items here is not really concerning me. I did not want to replace the plugs if I could find another way around it.

Again many thanks for the replies, so far I have had 12 years of an extended holiday in the UK and obtained my nursing qualifications and things have changed in Oz which now means that I should go back full time.
Very common complaint on here is the number of power boards we all end up with - having come from a Victorian terrace in Brighton where my kitchen alone had 8 powerpoints, finding myself in a kitchen with TWO is a bit annoying to say the least!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

The house we're renting has sockets all over the place. The only problem is they've wired most of them including the pool and laundry into the lighting circuit!!! Many trips out to flick the trip switch when we forgot and turned on more than one power hungry appliance at a time.

We changed all of our plugs btw - well apart from the ones with transformers actually in the plug bit. Cousin (Aussie) who is a sparky was very impressed when I showed him the UK plugs with fuses built in!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tubbs2Oz
The house we're renting has sockets all over the place. The only problem is they've wired most of them including the pool and laundry into the lighting circuit!!! Many trips out to flick the trip switch when we forgot and turned on more than one power hungry appliance at a time.

We changed all of our plugs btw - well apart from the ones with transformers actually in the plug bit. Cousin (Aussie) who is a sparky was very impressed when I showed him the UK plugs with fuses built in!
I would get your landlord to sort the electrics out as they are probably illegal as they are.

Fuses in the plug are a hangover from the days before RCD and modern MCBs and have no real function - apart from being a pain in the ass if they blow.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:33 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I would get your landlord to sort the electrics out as they are probably illegal as they are.

Fuses in the plug are a hangover from the days before RCD and modern MCBs and have no real function - apart from being a pain in the ass if they blow.
what makes you say that?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
what makes you say that?
Sockets and lights on the same circuit are a big no no - in any country.

It's electrical apprentice year 1 (1st week) knowledge.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

We did inform the agent + owner on their last inspection that it definitely wasn't legal in the UK and that it probably wasn't legal over here. What more can we do? We're hoping to move out soon anyway.

In terms of the fuses in individual appliances, I think it's a great idea because one faulty appliance won't necessarily trip the whole circuit and it can help find which appliance is faulty more easily.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:01 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Sockets and lights on the same circuit are a big no no - in any country.

It's electrical apprentice year 1 (1st week) knowledge.
sorry but its allowed in australian wiring standards under "mixed circuits"

6.6.6 Maximum number of points per mixed final subcircuit
A guide to determining the number of points which could be connected to a
mixed final subcircuit is provided in Table C1 of Appendix C. The
requirements of Clauses 6.6.2 to 6.6.11 need to be considered when
Table C1 is used.
A mixed final subcircuit containing socket-outlets shall be wired with not
less than 2.5 mm2 cable.
In accordance with Clause 4.4.3 mixed final subcircuits containing lighting
points and/or socket-outlets shall be protected by an RCD.
NOTE: See footnote (c) to Table C1 for conditions where socket-outlets may be considered as lighting points.

whislt i will also say that i personly wouldnt wire mixed circuits but thats probably more to do with 30 years working under uk standards

regards steve
Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by steve`o
sorry but its allowed in australian wiring standards under "mixed circuits"

6.6.6 Maximum number of points per mixed final subcircuit
A guide to determining the number of points which could be connected to a
mixed final subcircuit is provided in Table C1 of Appendix C. The
requirements of Clauses 6.6.2 to 6.6.11 need to be considered when
Table C1 is used.
A mixed final subcircuit containing socket-outlets shall be wired with not
less than 2.5 mm2 cable.
In accordance with Clause 4.4.3 mixed final subcircuits containing lighting
points and/or socket-outlets shall be protected by an RCD.
NOTE: See footnote (c) to Table C1 for conditions where socket-outlets may be considered as lighting points.

whislt i will also say that i personly wouldnt wire mixed circuits but thats probably more to do with 30 years working under uk standards

regards steve
Well I just learnt something. I've been in the electrical field since 1982 and have never installed or designed a circuit with power and lights together - and never would.