electricians

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 9:42 pm

mayten is an unknown quantity at this point
Question electricians

this is my first thread, i am an electrician from essex and i will be sending the main application this week having already done the tra, i was wondering if there were any other electricians who are going to or have already emigrated to the brisbane /gold coast region who can advise me on the prospects of employment in this area for myself , as i have a wife and 3 daughters to support this has been my main concern?
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

Hiya mayten

I'm an Electrician emigrating to Brisbane later this year. We've also got 3 kids to support so I have the exact same concerns as you. Having viewed several job websites there appears to be plenty of electrical jobs being advertised: presumably there are more advertised elsewhere, such as in newspapers etc. My feeling is that with a population of 1.5 million there must be quite a few people and industries requiring the services of Electricians.
When I get out there, I'll let you know how it goes.

The stumbling block is that you can't just go and work as an electrician until you have a licence. TRA assess you for the purposes of migration, but then insist on charging you again when you enter Australia to assess you a second time for an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate(ARTC). You need an ARTC before you can apply for an electrical licence.

This all means that when you land on Australias shores because they require your skills as an electrician you are left unemployable for a few weeks until you can push yourself through the beauracracy again.

Good luck.

Hope I didn't put you off.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

lol a few weeks i think you should look at more like 3-4 months
i have been in perth for 2 months and still havent recieved my ARTC i know its xmas and all so you could cancel out a few weeks but i still got to do two exams and they dont run every week some every 4weeks

but i have got another job with BOC as a test engineer testing gas bottles

if you want to work there is plenty out there

and as for work as a sparkie dont worry when you get your licence you wont have any problems
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

Bussie,

Did you get a visa through the Independant skilled route and have to apply to TRA to get it? Or did you get residency through a different route?

The rules could be different for Queensland, it could take years there.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 11:12 pm

Wink thanks migrantoz and bussie

thanks guys,
feeling a bit better now i,ve read your replies,
migrantoz. have you got your visa yet and if so how ;long did it take after sending main application
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, I've had my visa over a year now but have only validated so far.
I sent my visa application along with skills assessment letter on 4th February 2002 and the date that my visa was granted on was 8th November 2002
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 11:25 pm

migrantoz,
why are you going to brisbane and have you been there before as we haven,t.
my eldest is thirteen we are worried about how she is going to settle in a new school(although she cant wait to get there)
are you in the same boat?
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Exactly the same boat.
I'll email you with the details.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 11:36 pm

cheers mate.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point

Hubbie found no problem getting work. He put an ad. in the local wholesalers and the phone calls just kept comming. The place he works at now took him on straight away - supposed to be supervised though??
Old Jan 4th 2004, 3:09 am
lynsteve

Cool

Looking for work, you can try seek.com.au follow prompts to Brisbane/ Gold coast

Old Jan 4th 2004, 8:54 am

Lightbulb

thanks for all the useful info.
i was beginning to think i was the only one doing this for a while.
do they use the same socket outlets in oz or will we have to change all the plugs when we get there?
Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:13 am
owieb

Originally posted by mayten
do they use the same socket outlets in oz or will we have to change all the plugs when we get there?
You have to change all your plugs!

However I had loads of UK plug boards so just changed the plug on the board and then kept the same plug on the electrical items.

Old Jan 4th 2004, 11:51 am
Just Joined

Linni is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: electricians

Originally posted by mayten
this is my first thread, i am an electrician from essex and i will be sending the main application this week having already done the tra, i was wondering if there were any other electricians who are going to or have already emigrated to the brisbane /gold coast region who can advise me on the prospects of employment in this area for myself , as i have a wife and 3 daughters to support this has been my main concern?
Hi getting your ARTC is the easy part be prepared to do lots of TAFE to get up to the so called good standard of the Ozzies may take up to 8 months just to get qualified in AUS standards. Plus you have to pay for all the course material and books tests etc.
when you spend all this time getting this license be prepared for $45k a year with no overtime, REALITY.
Just to add the thing that really infuriates me is that whilst in Brisbane lately lost count of the times I walked past wires just hanging above head height, I don't believe for a second that the wires were juiced up however this does not exactly inspire confidence. When you do go to the tafe take plenty of Insul tape and connector blocks, leave a test meter at home, Neon screw driver will probably be ten years ahead and will probably invoke whoas from your fellow sparks or should i say electrical mechanics/fitter. I dont know if you've ever worked in any control panels but if you do manage to get a job here, I would certainly print off all the shit you read about Oz being so wonderful and bring it with you to stand on along with your 10" rubber soled wellies you will definately need them. Believe me what you see here is absolutely shocking, honestly not a pun.
Before people slate me I really have seen some bad workmanship in the uk by real cowboys however the quality in OZ is absolutely unbelievable. And as for switching neutrals (on High voltage circuits not 24V or below) dont even go there. The worst thing that could happen to a UK sparks would be to sink to the same level as a OZ Electrical fitter/mechanic. I would not let a Ozzie change a plug in my House.
I await abuse. But everyone open up there fuse boards in there Ozzie houses first.
The licenses are an absolute joke. Throw the manuals away, dont use any type of containment/conduit when .75mm twin and earth will do just fine.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 12:46 pm

well that certainly wasn,t what i was expecting.
do they have testing & inspection or pat testing then if the standard is that bad?:scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.