Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

electrician confussed

electrician confussed

Old May 18th 2011, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

andyj7393 is just really niceandyj7393 is just really niceandyj7393 is just really niceandyj7393 is just really niceandyj7393 is just really niceandyj7393 is just really niceandyj7393 is just really niceandyj7393 is just really nice
Default electrician confussed

hi i am confused, i am an electrician, i have passed my vatessass(30/10/2010)gained state sponsorship from south australia(march2011). main visa lodged end march 2011 have sent for police cert and our medicals are on the 21st of this month, which means i may have my visa soon (yeee). but i am confused about the process once i get to ozz to gain my full electricians lieance. poeple talk of alsorts of different ways
i have my otsr from vatessass, i know i need to gain ozzy regs
but what else? confussed
do i need as-nzs 3000:2007, as-nzs 3012:2003 etc and wheres the cheepset place as seems to cost hundreds of pounds for regs books?
cheers for any advice of someone whos gone througth same process
Andy
Old May 18th 2011, 9:40 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: electrician confussed

Originally Posted by andyj7393
hi i am confused, i am an electrician, i have passed my vatessass(30/10/2010)gained state sponsorship from south australia(march2011). main visa lodged end march 2011 have sent for police cert and our medicals are on the 21st of this month, which means i may have my visa soon (yeee). but i am confused about the process once i get to ozz to gain my full electricians lieance. poeple talk of alsorts of different ways
but what else? confussed
do i need as-nzs 3000:2007, as-nzs 3012:2003 etc and wheres the cheepset place as seems to cost hundreds of pounds for regs books?
Andy
loads of info here mate http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97
as your heading to SA you should lok out for the posts regarding peer ( peer is a tafe ( college ) that does au wiring regs traing for your SA electrical licence )

regards steve
Old May 19th 2011, 2:54 am
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to work as an electrical contractor you will need to get a license which usually involves a multiple-choice knowledge test on the AS3000 wiring rules. Before you can do that your qualifications may need to be assessed again locally to make sure you meet the same standard of training as Aussie Electrical trades. The state licensing departments are listed here :-

http://www.licencerecognition.gov.au/authorities.aspx#3

Once you have passed the test a license will be issued which is renewable annually by paying a fee. Just take it one step at a time and you'll be OK, you will find the wiring standards similar to England, but wonder how some of the standards ever pass for safe. Ther are some strange things - for instance there are no ring-mains here, all spur circuits with way too many outlets daisy chained on them.
Old May 19th 2011, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

from what i have heard from friends s/a is the best place to gain your licence so you should be fine

had a friend of mine that sat it from melbourne as it was stupid to gain here

good luck
Old May 24th 2011, 11:27 am
Just Joined

bubby1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andyj7393
but what else? confussed
Andy
hi andy cant really help you on that score bit cheeky really asking you for advice regarding vetassess assessment etc and the theory , 3 phase and dol any advice would be greatly appreciatted as bricking myself

cheers mate dale
Old May 24th 2011, 7:07 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bubby1
hi andy cant really help you on that score bit cheeky really asking you for advice regarding vetassess assessment etc and the theory , 3 phase and dol any advice would be greatly appreciatted as bricking myself

cheers mate dale
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520432