Reload this Page >

Electrical stores

Electrical stores

Old Jul 14th 2004, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

philip&claire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical stores

Hi all

This may sound a daft question, but we were wondering whether anybody knew of the names of some electrical stores (such as comet, currys etc) in Perth.

I want to compare prices on items likes washing machines, fridge freezers etc, especially with the sales starting.

Oh, we've also been told to buy plenty of cotton bedding as it's really expensive in oz??

Any advise would be useful

Thanks
p&c
Old Jul 14th 2004, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Gwaily is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrical stores

H i P+C,
There are lots of electrcal stores around and the prices will vary a bit.
1.Harvey Norman sells everything household and is probably the most expensive. www.harveynorman.com.au
2.Retravision. www.retravision.com.au
3.The good guys. www.thegoodguys.com.au (pay less for cash)
4.Dick Smith Electrical www.dse.com.au
There are loads more, but this should give you an idea.
Remember to always barter the price down a bit. If you don't ask you'll never get.
As for bedding, yes it is more expensive over here, so if you fancy a change go to M+S and have a good spend. Most decor is neutral, and when you're in your own home you can paint the bedroom what colour you want.
Hope this helps
Gail

PS I'll be sending you a pm shortly
Old Jul 14th 2004, 10:49 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by philip&claire
Hi all

This may sound a daft question, but we were wondering whether anybody knew of the names of some electrical stores (such as comet, currys etc) in Perth.

I want to compare prices on items likes washing machines, fridge freezers etc, especially with the sales starting.

Oh, we've also been told to buy plenty of cotton bedding as it's really expensive in oz??

Any advise would be useful

Thanks
p&c
The only electrical store you need over here is The Good Guys. We bought just over AU$ 9100 when we arrived and they discounted it down to a total of AU$ 8300. Even if you buy a $38 hairdryer they will sell it you at $33 for cash. Definitely a totally different buying experience to buying in 'rip-off' Britain.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 10:54 pm
kong

Originally posted by CadburysFingers
The only electrical store you need over here is The Good Guys. We bought just over AU$ 9100 when we arrived and they discounted it down to a total of AU$ 8300. Even if you buy a $38 hairdryer they will sell it you at $33 for cash. Definitely a totally different buying experience to buying in 'rip-off' Britain.
Yeah in Britain, I never get 10-15% off for cash on electrical purchases.

Next you will saying how great the Oz banks and free to air channels are.

TOOT TOOT... The Dreamland express rolls on............

Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

philip&claire is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by CadburysFingers
Thanks guys thats great just what needed to hear!
I must barter ,I must barter,I must barter>>>>>

philip&claire
Old Jul 15th 2004, 8:41 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Good Guys were more expensive than our local Betta Electrical store on all the items we've bought for our house. $50 more on an LG washing machine $60 more on a wide screen tv and $30 on a fridge just to give you a few examples.
This was on the price given for cash payment and after further negotiation because we were buying so much stuff.
Betta electrical are in Gympie 22k from us and Good Guys are down in Mooloolaba some 120 k away so for us it pays to shop locally and support the local stores. The other plus is the service, our T.V would not tune in properly the local store had a man out the next day
Sean
PS no I don't work for them
Old Jul 15th 2004, 10:13 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

There is some many of the bloody stores here in Perth. PLay one of the other. For example just a year ago bought a new fridge and washing machine with tag prices of Fridge $1398 and washer $900 told Harvey Norman that i wanted it for under $2000 delivered. The guy said no way. Rang on my mobile from the store to Rick Hart electrical and asked for the same under $2000 and came back with $1930. Got them both for $1890 from Harvey Norman.... hahaha love it

Oh forgot to mention, the washer has AAAA water savings so the government gives you back $150 cause your not going to use as much water... woohooo

Siren's b/h
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:00 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I made a point of looking at the cost of white goods (sad eh!).
IMO they are far more expensive and generally not as up to date as in the UK.
Front loader washing machines are just becoming widely available and digital TV is not common.
I will certainly be taking as much of our own stuff as we can.

G
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Grayling
I made a point of looking at the cost of white goods (sad eh!).
IMO they are far more expensive and generally not as up to date as in the UK.
Front loader washing machines are just becoming widely available and digital TV is not common.
I will certainly be taking as much of our own stuff as we can.

G

Hi Grayling,

Do you have any more example of what you mean about not being so up to date.

From what I has seen the fridge freezers were as good, if not better than here.
The range of TV's seemed comparible when I looked in Perth
Front loaders seem to be much more reasonable than I had expected them to be.

It is wierd how different people find things to be - i guess a lot must have to do with expectations of prices etc.

Hope you managed to enjoy some aspects of your trip

Dave
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:19 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Dave
Yes I enjoyed many aspects of my trip.

I suppose a lot was down to expectations.
The equivalent TV to what I have now (WS 32" digital) was at least twice the price and not easy to find.
I also seem to percieve Front load washing machines as more modern but not really my field of expertise.
Maybe I expected things to be cheaper. I was just surprised how expensive some electrical goods were. Mind you I did not go into that many stores.
I think in relation to average Australian wages (whatever that is ) then things seem costly.
I admit I am no expert.

G
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Dave
Yes I enjoyed many aspects of my trip.

I suppose a lot was down to expectations.
The equivalent TV to what I have now (WS 32" digital) was at least twice the price and not easy to find.
I also seem to percieve Front load washing machines as more modern but not really my field of expertise.
Maybe I expected things to be cheaper. I was just surprised how expensive some electrical goods were. Mind you I did not go into that many stores.
I think in relation to average Australian wages (whatever that is ) then things seem costly.
I admit I am no expert.

G

Grayling,

Fair comments and I definately agree that in relation to OZ wages things would be more expensive.

My situation is such that I will be initially be looking at setting up a home based on english money exchanged over, so from my perspective things such as washers, TVs, fridges, etc all seem to be a similar sort of price.

Dave
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:52 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally posted by darkless
Grayling,

Fair comments and I definately agree that in relation to OZ wages things would be more expensive.

My situation is such that I will be initially be looking at setting up a home based on english money exchanged over, so from my perspective things such as washers, TVs, fridges, etc all seem to be a similar sort of price.

Dave
Dave
I think that was my view exactly. In pound sterling terms things were similar. Replacing items may be a problem later on.

Good luck

G
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Dave
I think that was my view exactly. In pound sterling terms things were similar. Replacing items may be a problem later on.

Good luck

G

That is the reason we have decided to sell everything we have here (white goods, TV, etc wise) and buy new out there. If we do it whilst we can afford it it should last for a while.

The other reason was the stuff we have over here is getting a bit old, or wont work in OZ etc anyway, so it seemed better to put the £3000 saved in shipping costs into new items.

After reading your other post about the cold, I guess I had better add a couple of electric heaters to the list :-)

Cheers
Dave