Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

electrical Licensing in Western Australia

electrical Licensing in Western Australia

Old Sep 1st 2006, 11:58 am
Just Joined

rudge is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb electrical Licensing in Western Australia

Any sparkies coming over? Do you know you need a license which requires you to take 2 tests. loads of new rules you need to know plus there is theory and calcs to do. Need any help.
rudge.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

lilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: electrical Licensing in Western Australia

Originally Posted by rudge
Any sparkies coming over? Do you know you need a license which requires you to take 2 tests. loads of new rules you need to know plus there is theory and calcs to do. Need any help.
rudge.
What are the new rules? I haven't noticed any new bulletins anywhere (possibly looking in wrong place), any help is much appreciated.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilstewie
What are the new rules? I haven't noticed any new bulletins anywhere (possibly looking in wrong place), any help is much appreciated.

Do you have a copy of the aus/nz3000 wiring regs?, if not it would be wise to get hold of a copy of that plus the cable selection guide. I think they ask you to take them when you go for the wiring rules exam.

Read this thread, there is some really useful info plus links http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388313
Old Sep 1st 2006, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

when i say new rules i mean in regards to Australian standards and not the I.E.E.
new rule book though does come out in 07.
when are you coming.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

when i say new rules i mean in regards to Australian standards and not the I.E.E.
when are you coming.

If he buys the book from the link I provided in the thread posted earlier, they give you free updates on the wiring regs

Good job too, cos the regs change more than the traffic lights
Old Sep 1st 2006, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

lilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond repute

when are you coming.
Hi Rudge, Visa grant permitting we are planning on arriving around mid june. Thanks Wendy C for the links - i already have them in my favourites.
Rudge, any idea what is involved in the elec. fitters exam ? I'm more of a maintenance spark, although i am just applying for my JIB accreditation with installations attached (see if it carries any weight for licensing over there) and i believe that maintenance elecs tend to be classed as fitters?

Last edited by lilstewie; Sep 1st 2006 at 3:41 pm. Reason: added stuff
Old Sep 1st 2006, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

Hi Rudge, Visa grant permitting we are planning on arriving around mid june. Thanks Wendy C for the links - i already have them in my favourites.
Rudge, any idea what is involved in the elec. fitters exam ? I'm more of a maintenance spark, although i am just applying for my JIB accreditation with installations attached (see if it carries any weight for licensing over there) and i believe that maintenance elecs tend to be classed as fitters?
Hi lilstewie, I too am a maintenance electrician, does your job include fault diagnosis and repair, working with plc's, preventative maintenance etc etc? I have my ARTC (albeit i have to collect it upon arrival) and i have had mixed views on wether we need to do the exams or not as from what i can gather, my classification would be 'S' and not 'A' as this is for my line of work. Plus, i have had a few intervies and none of them mentioned about me getting a license??

Simpy
Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simpy
Hi lilstewie, I too am a maintenance electrician, does your job include fault diagnosis and repair, working with plc's, preventative maintenance etc etc? I have my ARTC (albeit i have to collect it upon arrival) and i have had mixed views on wether we need to do the exams or not as from what i can gather, my classification would be 'S' and not 'A' as this is for my line of work. Plus, i have had a few intervies and none of them mentioned about me getting a license??

Simpy
Hiya Simpy,
I've sent a pm
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 6:24 am
Just Joined

Hiya Simpy,
I've sent a pm
give me a bell when you arrive in perth and i'll give you the know how to get through the testing. 9306 3293
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by WendyC
Do you have a copy of the aus/nz3000 wiring regs?, if not it would be wise to get hold of a copy of that plus the cable selection guide. I think they ask you to take them when you go for the wiring rules exam.

Read this thread, there is some really useful info plus links http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388313
you need both for the exams. give me a bell when you arrive and i'll we'll discuss what you need to get through them.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 6:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simpy

Simpy
Sparks with PLC & controls experience are making a f**king fortune in WA & there is so much work it's not funny. Most sparks coming out from the UK are domestic installaton guys. I reckon you would have a bright future here if you can get your licence as well.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

OK ..joining thread as will accept info / advise from anyone..
Im a lift engineer in the UK, going to Perth and will need my A grade elec license once there. Got the ARTC forms , waiting for my visa before posting them of and using my relatives address in Perth...Am I going aboutit the right way to get my ARTC before arriving? Once Im there how long before you can book the exams and get your license granted and whats involved in the process?
I know a lot of info is shared here too...
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Sparks with PLC & controls experience are making a f**king fortune in WA & there is so much work it's not funny. Most sparks coming out from the UK are domestic installaton guys. I reckon you would have a bright future here if you can get your licence as well.
I'm assuming that the blokes you are talking about are classed as electrical fitters rather than mechanics?

Last edited by lilstewie; Sep 2nd 2006 at 7:43 am. Reason: spellcheck
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

you need both for the exams. give me a bell when you arrive and i'll we'll discuss what you need to get through them.

We are already here, but in South Australia
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
for the 1st time since finding out about getting my ARTC i'm grinning from ear to ear, I really do hope that this is true and hopefully may apply to Victoria also as , want to migrate to Melbourne, cheers Amazulu.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.