Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

electrical licence

electrical licence

Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute
Default electrical licence

Can anyone tell me do you need an ARTC to go on the wiring course in TAFE to enable you to get an electrical licence.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:34 am
Account Closed

p l d k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: electrical licence

Without an ARTC, they will not even let you inside the premises. (I am exagerating but seriously UK credential and certificates, paperwork mean nothing here to TAFE. You do need an ARTC and believe me that is just the start.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Tamworth U.K.- Brisbane Very Soon Now Visa Granted!!
Graff will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by p l d k
Without an ARTC, they will not even let you inside the premises. (I am exagerating but seriously UK credential and certificates, paperwork mean nothing here to TAFE. You do need an ARTC and believe me that is just the start.
I'm going through the same thing, look on the electricians forum theres a load of useful posts there for you to read.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: electrical licence Help Please

Originally Posted by p l d k
Hi thanks for the reply. Does anyone know what i can do then. I have applied for my artc who said i have been unsuccess as all my qualifactions and my apprenticeship are for a lift mechanic which is not a trade assessed by TRA for the purposes of issusing an artc. But I need an electrical licence as the last time i looked lifts worked by using electricity so without the licence I can not fix lifts. I got told i would have to go to Tafe to do a wiring course to enable me to get a licence but now it seems I need the artc before i am even allowed on the course. Can anyone out there please help!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by john_w; Aug 4th 2007 at 3:01 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 3:00 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john_w
Hi thanks for the reply. Does anyone know what i can do then. I have applied for my artc who said i have been unsuccess as all my qualifactions and my apprenticeship are for a lift mechanic which is not a trade assessed by TRA for the purposes of issusing an artc. But I need an electrical licence as the last time i looked lifts worked by using electricity so without the licence I can not fix lifts. I got told i would have to go to Tafe to do a wiring course to enable me to get a licence but now it seems I need the artc before i am enev allowed on the course. Can anyone out there please help!!!!!!!!!!
Can't help...just want to say I hope you get sorted out and here soon !
Old Aug 4th 2007, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

noggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to all

As the man said...u need an ARTC mate..simple as...put out a call for Stevo or Wendy they will tell u for sure where u stand,good luck
Old Aug 4th 2007, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noggin
As the man said...u need an ARTC mate..simple as...put out a call for Stevo or Wendy they will tell u for sure where u stand,good luck
Wendy has been a great help and is looking into it for me but her OH had his ARTC before he went on his course. I dont mind doing what ever it takes and going on the course to get the licence but what am i suppoused to do if i cant get on the course without the artc and they wont give me the artc because a lift mechanic is not a trade assessed by the TRA for the purposes of issuing an artc.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Tamworth U.K.- Brisbane Very Soon Now Visa Granted!!
Graff will become famous soon enough

what am i suppoused to do if i cant get on the course without the artc and they wont give me the artc because a lift mechanic is not a trade assessed by the TRA for the purposes of issuing an artc.
This may be a stupid question but have you looked into what there lift mechanics need as in licences, and if so how do they get it.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

p l d k is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi thanks for the reply. Does anyone know what i can do then. I have applied for my artc who said i have been unsuccess as all my qualifactions and my apprenticeship are for a lift mechanic which is not a trade assessed by TRA for the purposes of issusing an artc. But I need an electrical licence as the last time i looked lifts worked by using electricity so without the licence I can not fix lifts. I got told i would have to go to Tafe to do a wiring course to enable me to get a licence but now it seems I need the artc before i am even allowed on the course. Can anyone out there please help!!!!!!!!!!
Hi John

Unfortuately over here lift mechanics seem are Sparkies, In Oz things are very black and white especially when dealing with the TRA or Electrical Licencing . Maybe it would be wise to approach a proffessional migration agency that wll be able to guide you through the skills assesment.

More bad news I'm afraid if you do get over here without an ARTC and wish to work on Electrical gear it will mean a four year apprenticeship no way round it and very low pay. they may reduce a year for RPL (recognition prior learning) TAFE that is but they really want your money so I doubt it.

I hope I dont sound like a no it all but for anyone coming to OZ have a look on Careerone.com.au and Seek.com.au these are the best places to get an idea of what licences are needed for Jobs and pay, conditions etc.

Another thing is if you work hands on you tend to be called mechanic such as Refrigeration Mechanic, Electrical Mechanic, Lift Mechanic etc.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 9:14 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone tell me do you need an ARTC to go on the wiring course in TAFE to enable you to get an electrical licence.
john did you apply as an electrical mechanic or electrical fitter ??
Old Aug 6th 2007, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steve`o
john did you apply as an electrical mechanic or electrical fitter ??
Hi, Left that up to them what ever they assessed me as.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

John, if you dont have the required qualifications as a electrical mechanic or fitter you wont be allowed to sit the course for the the A class license its as simple as that, however you may be able to get a company to take you as an apprentice but thats an avenue you may want to consider
Old Aug 7th 2007, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have an ONC in electrical & electronic eng. & 16th ed. regs, the bit I come unstuck on is Im a lift engineer and they (ARTC) do not recognise lift engineers as electrical trades, but .... you need an electrical license to do the work ?? I would do a ROFL at this point but not finding it funny right now!!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:13 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I have an ONC in electrical & electronic eng. & 16th ed. regs, the bit I come unstuck on is Im a lift engineer and they (ARTC) do not recognise lift engineers as electrical trades, but .... you need an electrical license to do the work ?? I would do a ROFL at this point but not finding it funny right now!!
You have my sympathies mate...it is one big ball ache!!!

Took me 13 months to get mine, it wasn't easy. Good luck.,
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

john_w,
may i ask did you do any installations of Trunking (Duct in Australia) also did you install conduits at all & 240v rated cable single phase or 3 phase installs for the lift equipment.

if so then you should be fine, let me know what you have actually done on the install side of things. ONC is a decent qualification, but you must have experience in installing gear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.