Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical items

Electrical items

Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:16 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Re: Electrical items

The electrical supply in Australia is the same as in the UK. The only problem you will have to solve when trying to power things in is the physical plug. There's absolutely no reason why you can't just take the existing UK plug off and put an Australian plug on.

I don't really agree with taking UK power strips as this means you'll need a power strip everywhere in the house where you'll ever want to use the item. If you're emmigrating to Australia, then go the whole hog and just change the plugs. It isn't difficult.

Australia is region 4 for DVDs and the UK is region 2. Unless you have a region-free DVD player, you can't mix and match. However, most player can be easily irradicated of this restriction. And besides, there's no reason why you can't take your UK DVD player with you anyway (just remember to change the plug).

If you are using your TV for terestrial broadcast reception, then there's a possibility that you may have problem with sound (particularly on older model TVs) due to the different way the signal is broadcast. Some TVs can be setup for use in different countries (specifically to address these differences from country to country) and some can't. However, if you are going to be using a DVD player or digital box (such as for satellite or cable TV) for your TV signal, then this isn't a problem (again, just remeber to change the plug).

- CDM
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
I don't really agree with taking UK power strips as this means you'll need a power strip everywhere in the house where you'll ever want to use the item. If you're emmigrating to Australia, then go the whole hog and just change the plugs. It isn't difficult.
- CDM
One big issue is with power adapters/chargers for CD's, mobile phones etc. I brought a number of them with me which have the UK plug moulded in. With the UK power strips and an aussie plug, I can still use them. You can replace them here, but if you have a few of them, the cost mounts up and most people don't understand about the right DC voltage, plug polarity, amperage etc.

[Ok, so I did bring a lot of weird electronic crap but everyone should pack two strips in their stuff - you will be glad you did.]
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:52 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
One big issue is with power adapters/chargers for CD's, mobile phones etc. I brought a number of them with me which have the UK plug moulded in. With the UK power strips and an aussie plug, I can still use them. You can replace them here, but if you have a few of them, the cost mounts up and most people don't understand about the right DC voltage, plug polarity, amperage etc.

[Ok, so I did bring a lot of weird electronic crap but everyone should pack two strips in their stuff - you will be glad you did.]
You can still use these anyway. Just cut off the moulded plug and put an inexpensive Ozzie plug on in it's place. You don't need to know anything about DV voltage, plug polarity or amperage to do this. You just need to know how to wire a plug. If you don't, then I'm sure most Ozzies would do.

- CDM
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
You can still use these anyway. Just cut off the moulded plug and put an inexpensive Ozzie plug on in it's place. You don't need to know anything about DV voltage, plug polarity or amperage to do this. You just need to know how to wire a plug. If you don't, then I'm sure most Ozzies would do.

- CDM
Your point about current the plug of the lead is correct and useful advice. I've done that where possible [and damn the regulations !]. After all, it's just a mains plug.

However I should have made it clear in the original post that I was talking about 'power bricks'; you know plug, transformer, rectifier etc. all in one moulded block with a flying lead. My other point about replacing power bricks with ozzie versions is that you can't switch a UK 9V 1500ma with a 'Dick Smith' 12V 200ma one - obviously the specs have to match appropriately so you don't fry the bit of kit that it powers for example.

Certainly, if you have anything that uses a power 'brick' in the UK, pack some power strips.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:20 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM

If you are using your TV for terestrial broadcast reception, then there's a possibility that you may have problem with sound (particularly on older model TVs) due to the different way the signal is broadcast. Some TVs can be setup for use in different countries (specifically to address these differences from country to country) and some can't. However, if you are going to be using a DVD player or digital box (such as for satellite or cable TV) for your TV signal, then this isn't a problem (again, just remeber to change the plug).

- CDM
Just to clarify slightly further. The sound issue is related to analogue broadcasts, the country issue related to digital broadcasts.
I have one TV (a Toshiba) where I can correct the analogue sound issue but cannot get DTV using any country setting.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:09 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

Your point about current the plug of the lead is correct and useful advice. I've done that where possible [and damn the regulations !]. After all, it's just a mains plug.

However I should have made it clear in the original post that I was talking about 'power bricks'; you know plug, transformer, rectifier etc. all in one moulded block with a flying lead. My other point about replacing power bricks with ozzie versions is that you can't switch a UK 9V 1500ma with a 'Dick Smith' 12V 200ma one - obviously the specs have to match appropriately so you don't fry the bit of kit that it powers for example.

Certainly, if you have anything that uses a power 'brick' in the UK, pack some power strips.
That's a very good point. However, there are still solutions to this situation too. We've had devices for which we lost the original power brick (a computerised embroidery machine card reader for example). In that case, we bought a universal powerbrick that has a variable position switch used to adjust the wattage output and also multiple different adapters that fit many types of connector on the stepped down voltage end. I dare say these are also available on Oz but, perhaps a power strip would be very useful (not to mention cheaper) for this particular scenario :-)

- CDM
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:21 am
ABCDiamond

However I should have made it clear in the original post that I was talking about 'power bricks'; you know plug, transformer, rectifier etc. all in one moulded block with a flying lead.
When I moved from Australia to England, I had a Black & Decker drill that had a special charger, and to get it to work in the UK without having an Aus adaptor, cost me £25 to buy a new combined plug charger. The drill set cost half that when I bought it !!

It will be the same here, so very well worth bringing a few of those adaptors.

Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:41 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Bring it all.. we have... only thing that didnt work was daughters telly/dvd player and I think it was due to break down it was so old!

Other than that hickcup, everything else works... old x boxes, the new 360, the Wii.. everything...

Em x
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Maggiemoo has a spectacular aura aboutMaggiemoo has a spectacular aura aboutMaggiemoo has a spectacular aura about

Thanks all, will just bring everything and hope for the best!!!!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Rideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by medwaymark
Even if you get a DVD player that isn't multi-region, you can normally find instructions on the internet on how to convert to multiregion. I have done this with all the DVD players I have ever bought, including a DVD recorder bought here.

How ever many travel adaptors you think you might need....double it and add a couple of more. We had loads when we got her....you try finding one now though....god knows where they vanish too
Most DVD players can be converted to multi region - see http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/
Old Mar 21st 2009, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

mungoose will become famous soon enoughmungoose will become famous soon enough

Aussie Plugs! What a pain in the a@##! English ones much easier to fit. I bought some from bunnings, and the plastic cover is really difficult to get over the guts bit. Ended up boiling them to soften them then they go on quite easily (made sure they were thoroughly dry of course). The other ones that you unscrew the back are ok but seem very flimsy. And if the little screw comes off the post it's a real bugger to get back on.

A couple of questions. English appliances that don't have an earth wire. Can you use an aussie three pin plug or do you need to get a two pin? And stuff that you used in a shaver socket in England, can they be fitted with a standard plug over here? I'm using an english/aust adaptor at the mo, and it's working ok!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mungoose
A couple of questions. English appliances that don't have an earth wire. Can you use an aussie three pin plug or do you need to get a two pin? And stuff that you used in a shaver socket in England, can they be fitted with a standard plug over here? I'm using an english/aust adaptor at the mo, and it's working ok!
The answers are:
Yes, you can use the Aussie three pin plug
and the shaver type things can also be fitted with a standard plug.

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:54 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

And if the little screw comes off the post it's a real bugger to get back on.
A little bit of BluTak is your friend
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

mungoose will become famous soon enoughmungoose will become famous soon enough

Thanks for that you two!!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:03 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Aussie Plugs! What a pain in the a@##!
It's comforting to know we're not the only ones struggling with them!

As to trailing sockets, seriously, bring loads. You can change all your plugs but chances are you won't have nearly enough wall sockets anyway. We are gradually changing most of ours over but it's one less thing to deal with in the mad early days of migration.

Also, be choosy with your adaptors - a few of ours are too big to go side-by-side in a 2 socket wall thingy. (We have the added excitement of having UK plugs and a lot of 2-pin plugs, too.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.