Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical Goods + NZ

Electrical Goods + NZ

Old Jun 14th 2003, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Coventry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical Goods + NZ

Just curious - what do you recommend we take to NZ. I read somewhere that the voltage was different in NZ so don't take TV's, computers, mobiles because of chargers, washing machine etc. but reading these threads it seems people are taking most of their electrical goods.
Old Jun 14th 2003, 11:01 am
Just Joined

umfaan is an unknown quantity at this point

If your appliance is 220~240v it will work here. Adaptors are also available for chargers, etc.

Good luck
Umfaan
Old Jun 14th 2003, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Bring the lot over. It will work fine in NZ. Only thing to beware of is TV's - older ones will probably need a modification to work, newer ones may work over here - check with the manufacturer. There was a thread recently on this very topic...so do a search.

Remember also that Australia & NZ are DVD region 4 - if your DVD player is multi-region you won't have any problems, if not you'll need to get it chipped/unlocked before it will play DVDs you buy or hire in NZ

Electrical goods can be expensive over here, particularly high end stuff, and there isn't much variety/choice of models so if you've got room for it in the container, bring it.

Russ.
Old Jun 14th 2003, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

Great site with hacks to convert single region DVD players to multi-region - www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the the frequency (hertz) of the power supply in NZ is slightly different from the 50Hz in the UK meaning that electric clocks run a little fast or slow. Can anyone confirm?

I know NZ telephone sockets are the same as UK ones but will UK cordless DECT phones work in NZ?

Ben
Old Jun 15th 2003, 6:40 am
Just Joined

jezzy is an unknown quantity at this point

cordless dect works but you are not supposed to(frequencies etc
Old Jun 15th 2003, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

N.Finn Fan is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I take my Orange phone to NZ and still use it sucessfully?
Old Jun 15th 2003, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes - you'll need to get it unlocked first. Orange lock their phones (so that only a Orange SIM card will work in an Orange phone). It'll cost you about 10quid to get it unlocked (most mobile phone shops will be able to do it. Some phones can be unlocked online - do a search in google).

Don't forget to bring the charger - if your model of phone isn't sold in NZ it will be difficult and/or expensive to get a replacement charger. Same for replacement batteries. If it's a Nokia/Ericcsson or other major brand phone you'll be OK.

Russ.