Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical Goods

Electrical Goods

Old May 21st 2014, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Electrical Goods

TV's etc, am I better off buying these in Australia?

We are leaving our fridge in our house and we could do with updating our TV, just wondering whether to buy here or there.

What about the boys Playstations, I'm sure I read on here once that they aren't compatible with Aussie games, is it even worth bringing?
Old May 21st 2014, 10:05 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical Goods

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle

We are leaving our fridge in our house and we could do with updating our TV, just wondering whether to buy here or there.

What about the boys Playstations, I'm sure I read on here once that they aren't compatible with Aussie games, is it even worth bringing?
Bring everything - the electricity supply is the same here as the UK.

Also bring multiway extensions / power boards. Some electrical devices have transformer plugs which cannot be swapped - and for set ups like TV, DVD, etc you can leave the UK plug on the device and just swap the plug on the extension

No problem with Xbox, Wii, PS2 or PS3 - all games play fine
Old May 21st 2014, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Bring everything - the electricity supply is the same here as the UK.

Also bring multiway extensions / power boards. Some electrical devices have transformer plugs which cannot be swapped - and for set ups like TV, DVD, etc you can leave the UK plug on the device and just swap the plug on the extension

No problem with Xbox, Wii, PS2 or PS3 - all games play fine

That's great, thanks OS
Old May 21st 2014, 10:08 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

That's great, thanks OP
OS
Old May 21st 2014, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

OS
Lol I know! I didn't change it fast enough you swine!
Old May 21st 2014, 10:17 am

Lol I know! I didn't change it fast enough you swine!
It was the second time I'd seen it tonight or wouldn't have said anything
Old May 21st 2014, 11:53 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are wanting to update your TV, I would wiat to get one here. They are quite reasonable, and if you want to go hi-tech you'd be better off getting a Smart TV here as I believe there can be some problems accessing the Apps etc on a UK Smart TV (not connect ours to the net yet so can't verify this).

Second the whole thing about extra extensions plugs, they are worth their weight!
Old May 21st 2014, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

It was the second time I'd seen it tonight or wouldn't have said anything
I know! What the heck is that all about?!

For some strange reason I want to call you OP, so from now on I think I'll just call you 'O'.

Originally Posted by rasen78
If you are wanting to update your TV, I would wiat to get one here. They are quite reasonable, and if you want to go hi-tech you'd be better off getting a Smart TV here as I believe there can be some problems accessing the Apps etc on a UK Smart TV (not connect ours to the net yet so can't verify this).

Second the whole thing about extra extensions plugs, they are worth their weight!

We were going to buy a new TV here, but we won't bother now, we will wait until we get to Oz, thanks Rasen.
Old May 23rd 2014, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Can we change our plugs on our electrical goods to Aussie plugs or is the voltage
different?

I have a feeling that's a stupid question, but I had to ask...
Old May 23rd 2014, 11:37 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Can we change our plugs on our electrical goods to Aussie plugs or is the voltage
different?

I have a feeling that's a stupid question, but I had to ask...
Yup

We've changed some items, more the portable ones like small kitchen appliances, hairdryer. Think we changed one fridge. Not changed the TVs or laptops.
Old May 23rd 2014, 11:49 pm

Yup

We've changed some items, more the portable ones like small kitchen appliances, hairdryer. Think we changed one fridge. Not changed the TVs or laptops.
I think I've changed the fridge, washing machine and the extension leads

We did buy new microwave, kettle and toaster though so they have aussie plugs too. Everything else is running on UK plugs in the extensions

As I said before, the supply here is the same as the UK.
Old May 24th 2014, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

We changed plugs on most things, but did it gradually. Start with the everyday items like kettle, toaster and stuff you use most often. The cost of plugs can soon add up!
Old May 24th 2014, 5:30 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Bring everything. We brought our old analogue TV but couldn't get any sound out of it this side until we bought and plugged it into a digital set top box. I'm not sure how UK digital TVs cope with the Aus digital television environment. Something which might make you want to bring your UK telly is at least you'll know all your video equipment (old camcorders and their tapes, video recorders and their tapes, etc) will work on it. We have tons of old family videos on analogue tape. I'm sure they wouldn't work on our new Aussie digital TV. Also, as a thought: your sons' playstations might be UK TV specific.

Bring your fridge and washing machine if they're newish ones. Bear in mind though, you can't import older fridges because of safety legislation.

Bring lots of 4 and 6 UK socket extension strips and fit Aussie plugs onto them. We brought around 10 and they're all used up. Aussie replacement plug are stupid prices and are nowhere near as solid and safe as the UK plugs. The advantage with this approach is you only need to buy a maximum of 10 decent quality Aussie plugs to deal with all of your appliances. And with the new Aussie appliances, attach UK plugs to Aussie 4 strip socket extensions (but shop around because the prices for the Aussie 4 strips vary wildly - Bunnings or Harvey Norman usually have packs of 3 for around a tenner in their "cheap baskets" near the checkouts). Eventually we'll be fully switched over to the Aussie plugs as we replace things that give up the ghost but I reckon that'll take at least 10 years.
Old May 24th 2014, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I have a few UK multi-plug strips still, if anyone wants/needs?

$0000 each.
Old May 24th 2014, 6:15 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

If you are wanting to update your TV, I would wiat to get one here. They are quite reasonable, and if you want to go hi-tech you'd be better off getting a Smart TV here

Yup, if you need a new one definitely buy it here.
However don't believe the hype about Smart TV.....it's made no difference to me

And make sure the pins in your plugs fit snuggly into those extension boards because remember you will be plugging everything in upside down here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.