Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Electrical Engineering Thread

The Electrical Engineering Thread

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold
Default The Electrical Engineering Thread

Hello people,

I've noticed that a handful of professions have their own threads (not country specific though). There doesn't seem to be one for electrical engineer.

I'd like to know whether there would be enough people on this website to get a thread for electrical engineers in Australia going. Specifically to find out the projects which people are involved with and what various organisations are up to.

Any takers?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

elmao is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Electrical Engineering Thread

I'd be interested for one
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

amdee is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there, i have applied for 175 visa for aussies as an electrical engineer...it would be interesting to develop this thread for all the prospective electrical engineers looking to migrate to OZ.....anyones with feedback on howz the power sector picture there in various states?.....atleast a background of power sector shall be helpful....kindly share your views?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

My view is that there's a little uncertainty creeping in about the impending recession.

The utilities usually have a short term capacity expansion plan (couple of years into the future) and a long term one. I've heard that they are starting to review some capacity expansion projects as the economy is slowing.

I've also heard rumours that a couple of the utilities have recruitment freezes on. Although, interestingly, one of them has been advertising itself at expos in the UK. Probably just means that they don't expect the freeze to be long. Either that or they're still having difficulty convincing anyone to work in the middle of nowhere.

I'd say that the uncertainty is more of a problem in WA and Queensland where they had been more reliant on expanding industry than the southern states which have been more concerned with population growth.

The NSW government have been threatening to sell off their utilities which if went ahead would no doubt shake up the power industry in NSW. But they've been unsuccessful so far.

I would be very much surprised if there would be layoffs in the power industry caused by the economic doom - it's just that some are reviewing their expansion plans so may be unwilling to hire until they know what is happening.

I've wondered whether electrical engineers who had been attracted to the mines might try to get back into the power industry and thus increase the supply of engineers. As far as I can see hasn't happen yet though.

Also what part of the power industry are you looking at - generation,transmission or distribution?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
My view is that there's a little uncertainty creeping in about the impending recession.

The utilities usually have a short term capacity expansion plan (couple of years into the future) and a long term one. I've heard that they are starting to review some capacity expansion projects as the economy is slowing.

I've also heard rumours that a couple of the utilities have recruitment freezes on. Although, interestingly, one of them has been advertising itself at expos in the UK. Probably just means that they don't expect the freeze to be long. Either that or they're still having difficulty convincing anyone to work in the middle of nowhere.

I'd say that the uncertainty is more of a problem in WA and Queensland where they had been more reliant on expanding industry than the southern states which have been more concerned with population growth.

The NSW government have been threatening to sell off their utilities which if went ahead would no doubt shake up the power industry in NSW. But they've been unsuccessful so far.

I would be very much surprised if there would be layoffs in the power industry caused by the economic doom - it's just that some are reviewing their expansion plans so may be unwilling to hire until they know what is happening.

I've wondered whether electrical engineers who had been attracted to the mines might try to get back into the power industry and thus increase the supply of engineers. As far as I can see hasn't happen yet though.

Also what part of the power industry are you looking at - generation,transmission or distribution?

hi Deutschmaster, thanx for your views....well, i m neither from generation nor transmission nor distribution.....i m currently associated with power sector regulatory commission in HR country and i have applied for 175 visa...expecting a CO......i and my spouse were thinking of QLD state......i do not know whether distributing and retail electricity companies have a post called regulatory officer or so.....becoz my segment is quite niche....well i dont intend to stick to regulatory profile for the initial phase of settling in OZ...however, i wish to excel in the same segment later on......may be by perusing a local course in the segment......do you have any views on this?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

For regulatory type stuff have a look at www.esaa.com.au

The utilities that I know of in Queensland are

Powerlink
Ergon
Energex

have a look at them.

Quite a good way to get into the industry is to join the Australian chapter of CIGRE.

As to local courses it depends what your educational background is. If you are coming with an electrical engineering degree then you will have a skills assessment with EngineersAustralia as part of the 175 and that assessment is usually good enough for a company to accept your degree. However, if you are coming over on a trade qualification then you might have to do a course here before being allowed to work.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

I am an Electrical Engineer working in the Hunter Valley, NSW.

There are jobs about but things have really shut down in WA and Queensland in the last few months. I was made redundant from an Electrical Engineering consultancy in January but luckily found a job in NSW two days before I got the chop.

I don't know much about Ergon but their website has very few vacancies listed.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

For regulatory type stuff have a look at www.esaa.com.au

The utilities that I know of in Queensland are

Powerlink
Ergon
Energex

have a look at them.

Quite a good way to get into the industry is to join the Australian chapter of CIGRE.

As to local courses it depends what your educational background is. If you are coming with an electrical engineering degree then you will have a skills assessment with EngineersAustralia as part of the 175 and that assessment is usually good enough for a company to accept your degree. However, if you are coming over on a trade qualification then you might have to do a course here before being allowed to work.
Hi Deutschmaster, thanks thats a good piece of information...well but i m aware of powerlink...its the QLd's only transmission company and the two distribution called DNSPs in aussies are ergon and energex.....ya i have got my skill assessment done from Engineers Australia.....i m an electrical engineer and also MBA finance.....my 175 visa application was done in Feb 2008...so expecting CO/visa now.....what i learnt from local sources is that a migrant faces problems for its first job......CIGRE as you suggested is an association which requires membership....and it doesnt offer any courses....i m aware about ESAA....but that too is an association of people of australian supply industry which are already in the electricity sector there......

i have been speculating the energy regulatory regime of aussies since i have filed by visa application, so i know the fedreal bodies like AEMC, AER and NEMMCO also......there are certain states regulatory bodies and as for QLD its Queensland Competition Authority - QCA, who has responsibility for price regulation of electricity distribution networks. The department of mines and energy under QLD government is the governing body to QCA.....however, i couldnt find any body offering local courses in power sector.....??
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by amdee
Hi Deutschmaster, thanks thats a good piece of information...well but i m aware of powerlink...its the QLd's only transmission company and the two distribution called DNSPs in aussies are ergon and energex.....ya i have got my skill assessment done from Engineers Australia.....i m an electrical engineer and also MBA finance.....my 175 visa application was done in Feb 2008...so expecting CO/visa now.....what i learnt from local sources is that a migrant faces problems for its first job......CIGRE as you suggested is an association which requires membership....and it doesnt offer any courses....i m aware about ESAA....but that too is an association of people of australian supply industry which are already in the electricity sector there......

i have been speculating the energy regulatory regime of aussies since i have filed by visa application, so i know the fedreal bodies like AEMC, AER and NEMMCO also......there are certain states regulatory bodies and as for QLD its Queensland Competition Authority - QCA, who has responsibility for price regulation of electricity distribution networks. The department of mines and energy under QLD government is the governing body to QCA.....however, i couldnt find any body offering local courses in power sector.....??
Yes CIGRE requires membership - have a look at joining. I really don't know about whether there is an eligibility thing, I signed up at a conference a couple of years back when I was a student in the UK then transfered my membership over to Aus.

I think the best way is to learn how the companies hire. One I was looking at in Sydney say that they prefer to take on graduates then promote through the ranks rather than engineers coming and going. I've been thinking of joining the graduate scheme just to get my foot in the door.

Here it seems that personal contacts is the key. You build a professional network then use that to find jobs - and your reputation helps you to stand out amongst everybody else.

I don't know how hard it is for a migrant to get their first job here. I was offered mine before arriving.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

Yes CIGRE requires membership - have a look at joining. I really don't know about whether there is an eligibility thing, I signed up at a conference a couple of years back when I was a student in the UK then transfered my membership over to Aus.

I think the best way is to learn how the companies hire. One I was looking at in Sydney say that they prefer to take on graduates then promote through the ranks rather than engineers coming and going. I've been thinking of joining the graduate scheme just to get my foot in the door.

Here it seems that personal contacts is the key. You build a professional network then use that to find jobs - and your reputation helps you to stand out amongst everybody else.

I don't know how hard it is for a migrant to get their first job here. I was offered mine before arriving.
ya, joining graduate scheme is a good option.....but how do govt firms/department hire man power......generally the regulatory bodies in the states are a part of some government department....do you have an idea of direct recruitment to such places......

i also wanted to know how did you apply for job before arriving.....are u on employer sponsered visa?......can i post my resume to companies showing PR visa under processing...is it possible before arriving there?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

You can always have a look at www.publicsectorjobs.com.au and see if anything is there.

Otherwise I guess you would just have to look on the net at each individual place.

I went to an engineering conference when I was in the UK and saw a presentation by an Australian equipment manufacturer - they presented a load of stuff which was similar to what I was doing. I asked them who did their research and they gave me the names of various people over here. I then emailed them directly introducing myself and asked if there were any vacancies - one came up.

You can try emailing your CV - but you may find that you won't get anywhere until you get the 175. Organisations might tell you to get in contact once you have got the 175. Otherwise - you might try to see if an organisation could sponsor you on a temporary 457 business visa - you could come on that and work while the 175 is processed.

I am on a 457 sponsored visa and have applied for the 175 PR which I hope to get soon
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

You can always have a look at www.publicsectorjobs.com.au and see if anything is there.

Otherwise I guess you would just have to look on the net at each individual place.

I went to an engineering conference when I was in the UK and saw a presentation by an Australian equipment manufacturer - they presented a load of stuff which was similar to what I was doing. I asked them who did their research and they gave me the names of various people over here. I then emailed them directly introducing myself and asked if there were any vacancies - one came up.

You can try emailing your CV - but you may find that you won't get anywhere until you get the 175. Organisations might tell you to get in contact once you have got the 175. Otherwise - you might try to see if an organisation could sponsor you on a temporary 457 business visa - you could come on that and work while the 175 is processed.

I am on a 457 sponsored visa and have applied for the 175 PR which I hope to get soon
hey thanx i will surely follow that link....wow, you are lucky.....and wish you all the best for 175.....i am preparing my CV which i could mail to some relevant organisations.......well i dont think now there is a need to try for 457 segment.....CO allotment to my file can be done at anytime as i m in CSL and my application date is Feb 08.....and i can see today in the current processing thread that one chap having applied in Feb 08 already got CO......so just waiting for things to move now.......thanx buddy