Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical Design & PLC Programming

Electrical Design & PLC Programming

Old Sep 15th 2006, 6:55 pm

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light
Default Electrical Design & PLC Programming

We are in the process of getting a Skilled Visa and will be heading out to OZ next year. The TRA have classified me a 'General Electrician'.
I work for a large machine builder in the UK my experience is Electrical design & commissioning of Control circuits, PLC programming, HMI's and SCADA.
Anybody else out there in this kind of work or can recommend best areas to go to work for machine building companies in OZ.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice
Default Re: Electrical Design & PLC Programming

Originally Posted by NeilCk
We are in the process of getting a Skilled Visa and will be heading out to OZ next year. The TRA have classified me a 'General Electrician'.
I work for a large machine builder in the UK my experience is Electrical design & commissioning of Control circuits, PLC programming, HMI's and SCADA.
Anybody else out there in this kind of work or can recommend best areas to go to work for machine building companies in OZ.
Neil,

What company in the UK do you work for, if you don't mind me asking (PM me if you wish). With your experience you shouldn't have any problem gaining work, particularly if you are familiar with SCADA and CITECT systems. FYI, I am from a machine tool engineering background, although more on the tools side. I have a little PLC programming and I/O knowledge, and enjoy working in that area, but I never really pursued it.

Jamie
Old Sep 16th 2006, 11:09 am

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Jamie

I have PM'd you, Neil.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 3:18 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I do electrical design & have done a lot of SCADA work. There is so much work in Perth it's not funny. Salaries are high & rising. Situation should last for at least another 3-5 years.

Good luck
Old Sep 16th 2006, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I do electrical design & have done a lot of SCADA work. There is so much work in Perth it's not funny. Salaries are high & rising. Situation should last for at least another 3-5 years.

Good luck

Thanks for your reply but why do you think only 3-5 years ?
Old Sep 16th 2006, 3:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply but why do you think only 3-5 years ?
Lot of debate about how lon this resources boom is going to last. I reckon it's got 10 years+ left in it barring any unforseen world crisis. Others disagree & I don't want to get into a slanging match about it. I was being conservative. 3-5 years is the timeframe for projects that are underway at the moment. Others will follow that's for sure. Only this week Alcoa's $1.5billion alumina upgrade has been given the go ahead. Even when the boom finshes, work is not going to suddenly dry up. There will still be work, just not so much of it.