Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical Appliances

Electrical Appliances

Old Jan 18th 2005, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light
Default Electrical Appliances

G'day All,
Shipping my PC and Hi fi Stereo over from the UK which arrives on 5th February, was wondering what sort of adaptors i might need to run them and where would I get them from???????
Old Jan 19th 2005, 12:10 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical Appliances

Originally Posted by JohnoBronco
G'day All,
Shipping my PC and Hi fi Stereo over from the UK which arrives on 5th February, was wondering what sort of adaptors i might need to run them and where would I get them from???????
PC power input is usually a standard kettle cord, you can easily buy a new one over here (I think even places like Kmart & BigW sell them), so no adaptor needed.
The Hi Fi I would simply replace the plug on the end with an aussie plug - but shhhhhh I didnt tell you that .
Old Jan 19th 2005, 12:12 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

G'day All,

I've got my stereo here - its just in an UK/Aus adaptor. Its tucked away in the spare bedroom though, if it were more on display I'd be inclined to change the actual plug also
Old Jan 19th 2005, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

lol - I did wonder if i could get away with changing the plugs but thought that would be 2 obvious

Thanks guys
Old Jan 19th 2005, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

Lori&Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have sealed plugs that you don't want to mess with like we do lol you can also purchase come nifty electrical adaptars/extensions on E-Bay Australia we have just purchased some socket doublers (not sure what technical term is lol) you can plug any type of non-oz plg into them and they have individual on/off switches and we have bought a couple of 5 way power boards with surge protectors again they take any type of non-oz plugs and each point has it's own on/off switch they were very reasonable.

Lori
Old Jan 19th 2005, 5:50 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Even simpler - bring a few of those four way extension lead things with you. Plug all your UK plugs into one then simply change the single plug at the end to an Australian one. Hey presto, your plug changing reduces to 25%.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Kingpin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jayr
Even simpler - bring a few of those four way extension lead things with you. Plug all your UK plugs into one then simply change the single plug at the end to an Australian one. Hey presto, your plug changing reduces to 25%.
Well that is a very good idea would never thought of that one thanks for that
Old Jan 19th 2005, 8:16 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

G'day All,
We use a couple of 5 way extension leads as the PC has separate power supplies for the printer, scanner, speakers and even the monitor uses it's own plug. Also for phone chargers and a few kitchen appliences. You'll need a surge protection one here as the power is very unreliable during adverse weather.
Legally your considered incapable of wiring a plug if you live in Qld. Don't believe what your neighbours may tell you or even what your insurance company tells you, they can be wrong to. There was a thread discussing the legalities of plug changing in QLD recently have a look here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...rical+question
There's a link to the appropriate Govt. web site on there somewhere.
Good luck