Electric Shock

Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:45 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Electric Shock

Just received my Energex bill for electricty for the last quarter (with a month of winter left to go) and was shocked to get a bill of $670!

This is my highest ever quarterly bill, I think previous highest was about $550.

Admittedly I've gone mad this winter and decided to stay warm by using the one reverse cylcle a/c in the lounge in the evening and leaving on minimum overnight to keep the chill off.

I know that an average annuall bill in SE QLD is only about $880 but then they say the average house price is about $300k.

My bill is for a 4x2 with swimming pool, one a/c unit only (probably about 6kW though) and is probably more typical of the house your 'average' immigrant would go for.

Looks like its back to wearing jumpers and thick socks for August...
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electric Shock

Originally Posted by jayr
Just received my Energex bill for electricty for the last quarter (with a month of winter left to go) and was shocked to get a bill of $670!

This is my highest ever quarterly bill, I think previous highest was about $550.

Admittedly I've gone mad this winter and decided to stay warm by using the one reverse cylcle a/c in the lounge in the evening and leaving on minimum overnight to keep the chill off.

I know that an average annuall bill in SE QLD is only about $880 but then they say the average house price is about $300k.

My bill is for a 4x2 with swimming pool, one a/c unit only (probably about 6kW though) and is probably more typical of the house your 'average' immigrant would go for.

Even in our easy squeezy size rental no pool, no AC, leccy bills have been up in the 400's. Dread to think what it will be then when we go back to pool / AC, 5 bedrooms.

Has leccy gone up or something then?
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:06 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Even in our easy squeezy size rental no pool, no AC, leccy bills have been up in the 400's. Dread to think what it will be then when we go back to pool / AC, 5 bedrooms.

Has leccy gone up or something then?

It's gone up twice recently. It used to be that the more you used the cheaper it got but back in November they made it a flat rate for all use. This hits 'above average' users the hardest.

Basically you first $800 (or so) each year got cheaper and all the rest you use got more expensive.

It also went up again by CPI from 1 July.

From 1 July 2007 you will finally get the ability to buy your electricity off someone other than Energex in SEQ, shop around then for a better deal.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

It's gone up twice recently. It used to be that the more you used the cheaper it got but back in November they made it a flat rate for all use. This hits 'above average' users the hardest.

Basically you first $800 (or so) each year got cheaper and all the rest you use got more expensive.

It also went up again by CPI from 1 July.

From 1 July 2007 you will finally get the ability to buy your electricity off someone other than Energex in SEQ, shop around then for a better deal.
So if you have lots of kids, a la costellos plan, one for me one for him one for australia, you end up with lots of little energy consumers and get slugged with whacking great leccy bill for being a 'above average consumer'

Thank you Mr Costello, maybe its a secret plan, cant afford electricity, go to bed early ..........
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you need the R/C on overnight? Just chuck an extra duvet on your bed.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
My average leccy bill since Ive been here has only been $300. Thats for a family of 5 in a 5 bed. Admittedly we barely used the air con unit, mainly because it was broke for the 2 hottest months We have now moved into our own house and the leccy company have said about $180 a month is what the previous owners were using. :scared: . We did querey it and it turns out that they had their water tank on heat twice a day, once overnight when cheap and once in the afternoon, you could check that . It was the same tank as old house and we never ran out of hot water so we asked them to switch it to overnight heat only. Also we have a wood burner so we do pay for logs instead of reverse cycle heating, so it probably works out about the same in the winter.

Jo
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:49 am
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by joho
My average leccy bill since Ive been here has only been $300. Thats for a family of 5 in a 5 bed. Admittedly we barely used the air con unit, mainly because it was broke for the 2 hottest months We have now moved into our own house and the leccy company have said about $180 a month is what the previous owners were using. :scared: . We did querey it and it turns out that they had their water tank on heat twice a day, once overnight when cheap and once in the afternoon, you could check that . It was the same tank as old house and we never ran out of hot water so we asked them to switch it to overnight heat only. Also we have a wood burner so we do pay for logs instead of reverse cycle heating, so it probably works out about the same in the winter.

Jo
Gosh these electricity bills sound really high. Our house is a 4x2, pool and 1 A/C which we've used to take the chill off the main room. Certainly not used for long periods. But our bills are around $140-190. In our previous house the rental without pool, bills were around $80!! We're in Perth, don't know if prices are lower here, wouldn't have thought so.

Paul
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:55 am
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Keeps the lounge room above 4C when getting up in the morning. Since receiving my bill yesterday I won't be doing that anymore.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Keeps the lounge room above 4C when getting up in the morning. Since receiving my bill yesterday I won't be doing that anymore.
Although R/C heats well it does not provide latent (I think that's the correct term) heat, unlike radiators. So when you switch it off, the room cools down very quickly. If the R/C unit has a timer function (most do), set it to come on 15 minutes before you get up.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:17 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

It doesn't really get that cold does it? :scared:
Out here on top of the Range I haven't seen it colder than 14 degrees in our lounge so far. We have an oil filled radiator on a timer - it's set for 5.30am so that it's normally 16-17 degrees by the time we get up. Our leccy bill for the quarter March to June was $280.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 3:56 am
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by Nicstids
It doesn't really get that cold does it? :scared:
Out here on top of the Range I haven't seen it colder than 14 degrees in our lounge so far.

Not sure what the min has been so far but have seen 5C and 6C on the outdoor thermometer in recent weeks. Temp would be same indoors but for using the a/c (that latnet heat thingy). I'll have to invest in some timing switches for next winter
Old Jul 26th 2006, 5:03 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gajjitt
Gosh these electricity bills sound really high. Our house is a 4x2, pool and 1 A/C which we've used to take the chill off the main room. Certainly not used for long periods. But our bills are around $140-190. In our previous house the rental without pool, bills were around $80!! We're in Perth, don't know if prices are lower here, wouldn't have thought so.

Paul
What's going on Paul? Your first post in 4 months then 3 in one day. Easy does it!

Ours is normally about $100/ month with similar mod-cons (evap air con & a couple of rarely used oil-filled heaters rather than reverse cycle a/c). I thought our bills were high but those in Qld take your breath away.