Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

electric plug system

electric plug system

Old May 17th 2008, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Lettik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default electric plug system

A dumb question probably - got a stack of electrical stuff that I'd prefer to ship with along with everything else rather than buying all new- I know the voltage is the same. The plugs are different, will adaptors suffice?
Old May 17th 2008, 3:07 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all
Default Re: electric plug system

It's no big job changing plugs when you get there... That is what I intend to do. I have a load of 4 and 6 plug boards and will just change the end plugs to start and will then spend a couple of hours eventually changing every plug!
Old May 17th 2008, 4:57 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lettik
A dumb question probably - got a stack of electrical stuff that I'd prefer to ship with along with everything else rather than buying all new- I know the voltage is the same. The plugs are different, will adaptors suffice?
Bring a few extension leads & change the plug on that. Thats what i've been advised to do anyway
Old May 17th 2008, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice

Interesting topic - is there any item this wouldn't work on? Just to clarify, basically, you change the plug on the 4-way extension and then just use your normal 3 pin plugs on the actual appliances, have I got it right?

Now I feel really dim, but does Aus wiring not have the earth wire?
Old May 17th 2008, 8:05 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lettik
dont use adaptors unless you have to
( phones chargers etc where the trannies built into the plug top being one of the exeptions )
why ? because a lot ( WELL MOST ) adaptors dont have an earth pin meaning if theres a problem your gears not earthed

regards steve
Old May 17th 2008, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

All the advice above very correct. We bought a job lot of adapters off ebay before we came. I changed the plugs on earthed equipment like washing machine etc and for teh rest, mainly just changed the plug on a 4 way extension.

I wonder why Oz & NZ plugs are so different..I would have thought that they would have used UK style plugs like other former UK places e.g. Hong Kong
Old May 18th 2008, 12:00 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steve`o
( phones chargers etc where the trannies built into the plug top being one of the exeptions )
why ? because a lot ( WELL MOST ) adaptors dont have an earth pin meaning if theres a problem your gears not earthed

regards steve
Thanks for your advice Steve. We have been in Oz 20 months and still use quite a few adaptors. Is it just a simple case of replacing the English plugs with Australian plugs?
Old May 18th 2008, 12:03 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
Thanks for your advice Steve. We have been in Oz 20 months and still use quite a few adaptors. Is it just a simple case of replacing the English plugs with Australian plugs?
Yes. I would also recommend using surge protectors on valuable kit like computers, TVs, etc.
Old May 18th 2008, 12:23 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
Yes. I would also recommend using surge protectors on valuable kit like computers, TVs, etc.
you can ge a surge protected multiway board c/w 8 aussie sockets usb and cat 5 sockets for about 40 bucks at bunnings at tat cost its cheap enough to protect the old pc
Old May 18th 2008, 12:28 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

you can ge a surge protected multiway board c/w 8 aussie sockets usb and cat 5 sockets for about 40 bucks at bunnings at tat cost its cheap enough to protect the old pc
I've got cheaper adapters on things like printers and telephones but I got the more expensive ones from Dick Smith for the more expensive kit - the adapters with the $3k insurance included.
Old May 18th 2008, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

regards steve
Steve -

Any advice? We're coming from the US with 1 PC, printer, VCR and Analog TV (we're selling the other electrical things and buying new when we arrive). Questions, what kind of coverters do we need since the appliances all work ob 120 and not 220? Do analog TVs still work in OZ?
Old May 18th 2008, 1:04 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by tiger222
Steve -

Any advice? We're coming from the US with 1 PC, printer, VCR and Analog TV (we're selling the other electrical things and buying new when we arrive). Questions, what kind of coverters do we need since the appliances all work ob 120 and not 220? Do analog TVs still work in OZ?
Analog TVs do work, though if yours is US bought, it will be NTSC and Australia uses PAL. Although you can make it work with a digital receiver, I'm not sure about power. To be honest I would flog the TV and VCR and get new here in your situation. Your PC will most likely have a switch on the back to change from 120V to 220V, so all you will need is a new power lead ($5-8 from any computer shop). Most small home printers will have some sort of transformer that will work on any voltage between 100-250V - check the label on the back of it for the input voltage range. If yours does, then it will work with an adapter here.
Old May 18th 2008, 1:28 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Many thanks to the various contributers to this thread. I have found the information very useful.
Old May 18th 2008, 2:01 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
I wonder why Oz & NZ plugs are so different..I would have thought that they would have used UK style plugs like other former UK places e.g. Hong Kong
The current Aussie sockets are older (late 30s) than the current British sockets (late 40s).
Old May 18th 2008, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
The current Aussie sockets are older (late 30s) than the current British sockets (late 40s).
Thanks - just one of those things I have wondered from time to time....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.