Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Elderly parents and this distance.

Elderly parents and this distance.

Old Apr 23rd 2003, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Elderly parents and this distance.

Sitting here on and off all day waiting for emails from my family. My dad has had three heart attacks in the last year, which usually mean some last minute expensive airfare to the UK. Not that that is the worst of it, at least my kids are old enough for me to up and go at short notice,

However this time its worse. Dads sick again, nobody can predict which attack will be his last, so I want to go home. Husband and kids totally opposed to me flying tho in light of Oz being in the direct firing line of the SARS virus, I mean unless I do some 30 hour flight I am going to have to pass through Hong Kong Singapore etc.

I know I should just be thankfull I am lucky enough to be able to afford all these trips home, but I am honestly very concerned about SARS too and feel torn between dad and my family here.

Reading people who flew recently on this website only makes my concerns worse, like half the plane in masks.

I know the saying goes its only a flight away but believe me, quite often its a lot more involved than that. Keeping my fingers crossed that somehow I make the right decision, I honestly have this nagging fear that if something happend to Dad this time, I would feel guilty as hell for the rest of my life.

Sorry to droan on but this one is really getting to me.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

NinaU is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Elderly parents and this distance.

Originally posted by dotty
Sitting here on and off all day waiting for emails from my family. My dad has had three heart attacks in the last year, which usually mean some last minute expensive airfare to the UK. Not that that is the worst of it, at least my kids are old enough for me to up and go at short notice,

However this time its worse. Dads sick again, nobody can predict which attack will be his last, so I want to go home. Husband and kids totally opposed to me flying tho in light of Oz being in the direct firing line of the SARS virus, I mean unless I do some 30 hour flight I am going to have to pass through Hong Kong Singapore etc.

I know I should just be thankfull I am lucky enough to be able to afford all these trips home, but I am honestly very concerned about SARS too and feel torn between dad and my family here.

Reading people who flew recently on this website only makes my concerns worse, like half the plane in masks.

I know the saying goes its only a flight away but believe me, quite often its a lot more involved than that. Keeping my fingers crossed that somehow I make the right decision, I honestly have this nagging fear that if something happend to Dad this time, I would feel guilty as hell for the rest of my life.

Sorry to droan on but this one is really getting to me.

So sorry to hear about this Dotty. Well this is really the ONE thing that keeps nagging me over and over again - migrating to Aus and leaving my parents/in-laws so far away. My dad is not keeping very good health either and they are certainly not fit to make the long trip. And yes, as they get older our trips may also be that much more frequent and expensive for all of us - especially since I have very young kids.

Take Care,
Nina
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dotty

Sorry to hear about your father.Tricky decision to make especially with the problems with travel. You have to think of your own health aswell as your families but on the other side you need to know that your dad is ok.

Best of luck to you and i hope it all works out.

footie chick
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

hope it works out ok for you dotty.