Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

elderly cat - nobody wants her

elderly cat - nobody wants her

Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

donna paul is on a distinguished road
Unhappy elderly cat - nobody wants her

Before we left in December I had all the preparations in place to take my cat, Gizmo who is a 14 year old persian and was in (seemingly) good health. She had been checked by the vet, had her immunisation, microchip and quarantine permit was applied for. Then I chickened out and decided I was thinking more of me than her so I asked my Mum if she would have her. Mum was so thrilled as she was on her own.

Gizmo was sick over christmas (she would have died in transit) but after several trips to the vet she recovered - it turned out to be a huge hairball but it nearly killed her. Then my Mum fell ill and died only 2 weeks after being told she had lung cancer. I am still in a state over it and now my cat who has been staying with my sister is being sick once a week and my sister can't cope with the stress of her job and having to come home to a sick cat. My brother wanted to take her but he is having marriage problems and his wife is on dialysis. She said the doctor told her she isn't allowed pets.

What can I do? It is a bit difficult trying to find a home for a pet who is so far away.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:26 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Red face Re: elderly cat - nobody wants her

Originally Posted by donna paul
Before we left in December I had all the preparations in place to take my cat, Gizmo who is a 14 year old persian and was in (seemingly) good health. She had been checked by the vet, had her immunisation, microchip and quarantine permit was applied for. Then I chickened out and decided I was thinking more of me than her so I asked my Mum if she would have her. Mum was so thrilled as she was on her own.

Gizmo was sick over christmas (she would have died in transit) but after several trips to the vet she recovered - it turned out to be a huge hairball but it nearly killed her. Then my Mum fell ill and died only 2 weeks after being told she had lung cancer. I am still in a state over it and now my cat who has been staying with my sister is being sick once a week and my sister can't cope with the stress of her job and having to come home to a sick cat. My brother wanted to take her but he is having marriage problems and his wife is on dialysis. She said the doctor told her she isn't allowed pets.

What can I do? It is a bit difficult trying to find a home for a pet who is so far away.
Sorry to hear about the above. Why dont you say where the cat is kept at the moment and perhaps someone who lives locally on this forum can get some details of rescue homes etc.

R.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: elderly cat - nobody wants her

Originally Posted by Carruss
Sorry to hear about the above. Why dont you say where the cat is kept at the moment and perhaps someone who lives locally on this forum can get some details of rescue homes etc.

R.

She is in Fleet, Hampshire at the moment. She is really a loving cat, is very affectionate but also timid. Would be better suited to someone living alone or a couple without children and no other pets

Donna
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:36 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: elderly cat - nobody wants her

She is in Fleet, Hampshire at the moment. She is really a loving cat, is very affectionate but also timid. Would be better suited to someone living alone or a couple without children and no other pets

Donna
I have just found this site:

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/hants.html

R.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:42 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Get in touch with the RSPCA near Fleet and maybe they can find a home for the cat while she is still staying with your sister. Just need to send them a picture and details.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Sate...=1000367117541
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

I will try both of these suggestions - thanks
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:56 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Wink Re: elderly cat - nobody wants her

I will try both of these suggestions - thanks
Good luck,

R.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:57 pm
Professional Princess

Donna, I am already in search for a home for another forum members cat otherwise I would help you out.

I appreciate that you love your cat but at the moment, you need to look after yourself.

First of all, contact the rescue centres that people have mentioned in here and explain the situation.

Good homes are found for cats of all ages every day. When I worked as a vet nurse, we homed one of 16 years old once.

You have had the most awful time losing your mum and I am so sorry for you.

See what you can do to find your pet a home but let yourself grieve, cry when you need to.

If I hear of anything in the meantime, I will let you know.

Hugs and my thoughts are with you.

Samantha

Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:01 pm
wombat42

At 14 its had a decent inninings, its best years are behind it, perhaps you should consider sending it to cat heaven.

Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Donna, I am already in search for a home for another forum members cat otherwise I would help you out.

I appreciate that you love your cat but at the moment, you need to look after yourself.

First of all, contact the rescue centres that people have mentioned in here and explain the situation.

Good homes are found for cats of all ages every day. When I worked as a vet nurse, we homed one of 16 years old once.

You have had the most awful time losing your mum and I am so sorry for you.

See what you can do to find your pet a home but let yourself grieve, cry when you need to.

If I hear of anything in the meantime, I will let you know.

Hugs and my thoughts are with you.

Samantha

Samantha

Thank you so much you have given me some hope again. If you come up with any other suggestions please let me know. All I want is for her to be loved in her old age.

Thanks again

donna
Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:31 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by wombat42
At 14 its had a decent inninings, its best years are behind it, perhaps you should consider sending it to cat heaven.

Wombat, please leave right now. That is not constructive advice at all to her is it?

You cannot seriously think what you have just said is remotely helpful?

There is a whinging pom thread with your name on it, waiting for your response.

Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:36 pm
Professional Princess

Samantha

Thank you so much you have given me some hope again. If you come up with any other suggestions please let me know. All I want is for her to be loved in her old age.

Thanks again

donna

I feel for you Donna because I nearly lost my mum a few weeks back.

Losing your mum is enough to make ordinary thinking difficult.

I know its difficult for you living so far away, but i suggest dividing your time in order of priority.

Spend say an hour a day on the net, finding out about homes for cats. You can get alot of research done in an hour.

Spend longer writing/communicating with your family back in the UK. At least by keeping communication going, you are talking to your family and you all know what the other is going through with regards to your mum.

Spend time allowing yourself to grief.

And allow a huge chunk of time doing what you love, make it time for you.

Because if you forget yourself along the way, you will wake up one day and things catch up with you.

Love Sam

Old Apr 20th 2005, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

astonished has a spectacular aura aboutastonished has a spectacular aura aboutastonished has a spectacular aura about

why not get the cat shipped to oz. Isnt it part of the family too?
Old Apr 20th 2005, 1:35 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by astonished
why not get the cat shipped to oz. Isnt it part of the family too?

As a vet nurse, I would not recommend the cat be shipped for that journey.

It has been very ill with furball obstruction and is now vomiting weekly.

At the age it is (12) kidney function might not be what it should and the stress of the journey wouldn't be good for it.

It wouldnt be fair.

Old Apr 20th 2005, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Parker is on a distinguished road

Am very sorry for your loss. And sorry about the situation with your cat.

I had planned to take my 2 with me to Aus. But I've been seriously ill and was told I have to rehome my cats. It was extremely difficult but had to be done.

I was lucky a friend took them. But before she stepped up and offered I had to explore all sorts of avenues.

So :
Ask any friends/family in the UK if they can put an ad on their work noticeboards or intranets
Ask friends/family to put a notice (that you can produce and give to them to save their time) in local newsagents and vet offices.
Put a free ad in your local paper and Loot
do a search on the internet and put details of your cat on rehousing forums. There are some around, mainly down south.
If all else fails contact local shelters and the Cats Protection league (who will have shelters). The cat will need to go on a waiting list but once in there's a chance they will be rehomed. Most will guarantee that they will not put the cat down if noone takes him.

I found that I got responses from most of these and only rejected them as had found someone I knew to take them.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.