Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Egalitariasm in Australia?

Egalitariasm in Australia?

Old Aug 7th 2008, 2:20 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Egalitarianism in Australia?

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news...702136071.html

This is a well written and balanced article about the class system in the UK and the apparently emerging class system here in Australia.

It's written by an Australian too.

Last edited by DunRoaminTheUK; Aug 7th 2008 at 4:15 am.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 2:23 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Egalitariasm in Australia?

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news...702136071.html

This is a well written and balanced article about the class system in the UK and the apparently emerging class system here in Australia.

It's written by an Australia too.
You know the saying "a true English gentleman"!!

Do we use that phrase much these days i wonder.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 2:25 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
You know the saying "a true English gentleman"!!

Do we use that phrase much these days i wonder.
I think there are more people saying 'stupid f*****r' these days in the UK?
Old Aug 7th 2008, 2:27 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I think there are more people saying 'stupid f*****r' these days in the UK?
LOL, that was my point.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting article, agree with most of the content. One thing he has got wrong, Is the UK isnt the only country where class is important. It's far more important in India than the UK, however thats a digression.

The Major difference between the UK and here in Aus, is I cannot recall ever feeling uncomfortable in any situation in Aus on account of social status. Where in the UK, there were plenty of places you knew you wouldn't fit in, because of social graces at a higher status and a lower status. Just to be aware of that is a sad indictement of the UK. I will admit that the North/South divide is far less in the UK now than when I left in 1980, so maybe class awareness has also.

Personally I think Australia's Egalitariasm is one of the things that most people see as a noticeable major positive when they arrive here.

As for the Bogan label, people that really believe that people are lesser because of what they drink and wear, are the people with the problem. In Australia it's very unwise to judge people by their appearance. I will admit to doing a little of this myself, but do take time to have a second thought about situation.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:44 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
In Australia it's very unwise to judge people by their appearance.
Unless they live in Logan of course.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Unless they live in Logan of course.
LOL, yes I take your point. Although dissecting appearance a little further. If there are people hanging around on a corner somewhere, with your typical shorts/things/flannel shirts drinking VB, in an area like Logan or say Doveton here, then yes its probably safe to assume they are indeed an actual real Bogan. Whereas see someone dressed like that in a pub, drinking a can of VB, it could actually be a far better educated than one would anticipate, Tradesman..... Complete with 6 figure turn over business... especially in the country.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 4:07 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Very interesting article, agree with most of the content. One thing he has got wrong, Is the UK isnt the only country where class is important. It's far more important in India than the UK, however thats a digression.

The Major difference between the UK and here in Aus, is I cannot recall ever feeling uncomfortable in any situation in Aus on account of social status. Where in the UK, there were plenty of places you knew you wouldn't fit in, because of social graces at a higher status and a lower status. Just to be aware of that is a sad indictement of the UK. I will admit that the North/South divide is far less in the UK now than when I left in 1980, so maybe class awareness has also.

Personally I think Australia's Egalitariasm is one of the things that most people see as a noticeable major positive when they arrive here.

As for the Bogan label, people that really believe that people are lesser because of what they drink and wear, are the people with the problem. In Australia it's very unwise to judge people by their appearance. I will admit to doing a little of this myself, but do take time to have a second thought about situation.

I think percieved social class is pretty much evolved around money e.g. the haves and have nots. It is the same all over the world, just in different ways.

I am not so sure it is Egalitarianism. It just seems that Aus is much younger and class has involved in a different way. The rich and poor divides are still extant.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 4:11 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Egalitariasm in Australia?

Didn't see anything in that article about an "emerging class system". All I saw was evidence of rich people looking down on people who aren't as well off as themselves. Which happens everywhere, and does not constitute a "class system".

If Australia had its own aristocracy with a swathe of inherent hereditary rights (such as the right to govern the nation, as the Lords do) and a social hierarchy in which some people were considered a higher class than others purely by the virtue of their birth into a particular family (as the UK and India both do), then we'd have a class system.

People seem to be defining "class" on the basis of income these days, which is rather strange and a vast departure from the original meaning of the term. Class has nothing to do with money; you can be Lord Daventry with less than 2p in your pocket, but you can't be Lord Daventry simply by virtue of the fact that you have £1.5 million in the bank. Class is something you're born into, like the caste system.

Economic snobbery ≠ class system.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Aug 7th 2008 at 4:13 am.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 4:14 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Didn't see anything in that article about an "emerging class system". All I saw was evidence of rich people looking down on people who aren't as well off as themselves. Which happens everywhere, and does not constitute a "class system".

If Australia had its own aristocracy with a swathe of inherent hereditary rights (such as the right to govern the nation, as the Lords do) and a social hierarchy in which some people were considered a higher class than others purely by the virtue of their birth into a particular family (as the UK and India both do), then we'd have a class system.

I said 'apparently'.

apparent adj 1 easy to see or understand; obvious. 2 seeming to be real but perhaps not actually so. 3 physics said of the results of an experiment, etc: obtained by observation alone and usually without taking certain variables into account. apparently adverb. See also heir apparent.

You can go back to bed now.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 4:26 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Egalitariasm in Australia?

Interesting that the UK remains one of the worst developed nations for social mobility. That's what you get with a class system.

Australia's social mobility is higher of course, though not as high as the Scandinavian nations. But at least we're better than the Yanks.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 5:15 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

People seem to be defining "class" on the basis of income these days, which is rather strange and a vast departure from the original meaning of the term. Class has nothing to do with money; you can be Lord Daventry with less than 2p in your pocket, but you can't be Lord Daventry simply by virtue of the fact that you have £1.5 million in the bank. Class is something you're born into, like the caste system.

Which was exactly my point. I was referring to the fact that the "class" system evolved in the UK because of wealth and ownership.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone is middle class in Australia and the one thing I admire about Aussies is that they don't give a hoot who you are.

I remember someone saying to me "do you know who I am" I said "I don't care who you are" he was most miffed. Too bad. That was at work someone ringing me trying to change my mind about something.