Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

An eerie co-incidence!

An eerie co-incidence!

Old Oct 5th 2005, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default An eerie co-incidence!

I'm running a tennis tournament over the weekend so a lady phones up last night to enter her two sons. After taking the entry the conversation goes:

Me: 'you sound like an Aussie'
Her: 'so do you'.
Me: 'I'm from Melbourne'
Her: 'so am I'
Me: 'I'm from Williamstown'
Her: 'latterly I lived in Greensborough'
Me: Oh, I've got friends who live in (names the street)
Her: 'we lived in that street!'
Me: 'we were out there in July'
Her: 'so were we'
Me: 'I'm a teacher and was lucky to get off the day before fares go up on 1st July'
Her: 'yes, we got the kids out of school so we could travel on Thurs'
Me: 'that's the day we travelled, from Manchester'
Her: 'so did we, which airline?'
Me: 'Malaysia Airlines'
Her: 'so did we'
Me: 'we'll probably recognise each other when we meet!' (he thinks, hope I didn't tell the little so and so's off for running around or making a noise)

The conversation continued but how weird is that - her family and us travelling on the same flights from Manchester to Melbourne and them living in this area and playing tennis etc? I'm looking forward to meeting them on Sat.

An even eerier co-incidence is when Mrs OzT first went out to Australia. The first person she passed in Australia called out her name. It was the guy she grew up with next door to in Scotland who had emigrated and was working at the airport. :scared:

OzTennis
Old Oct 5th 2005, 10:04 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An eerie co-incidence!

lol - weird. I always remember when I went to the states to college - was sat on the back of the bus from the Port Authority terminal, all full of myself and how amazing I was, a lone Brit out in the wilds of New York. So I start talking to this girl next to me - turned out she was from my town, grew up a street down from me and used to play with my big sister. Funny old world.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

When we flew to Brisbane for a visit we landed on a Sunday afternoon, went straight to a hotel and went to bed to catch up on the missed sleep. When we got up we decided to find the nearest bar and have a few beers.

We found an Irish bar around the corner and were amazed to find that the barman used to work with my wife in our Local pub at home!!!

It really is a small world!
Old Oct 5th 2005, 10:43 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

It sure is a small world.
While in Oz last year, we spent a few days in Sydney. We climbed the Harbour Bridge. We were in a group of 12 people. We had to do the whole "What's your name, where do you come from" type of thing. There were people from the USA, Switzerland and various parts of Oz. Then it was our turn.

Dean (our climb leader): Hi guys, where are from?
Me: My name's Julie and I'm from England.
Dean: Oh, whereabouts?
Me: Surrey.
Dean: Whereabouts in Surrey?
Me (Very confused as to why he's asking so many questions): Epsom.
Dean: Oh, that's near Ewell isn't it?
Me: Well actually I live in Ewell.
Dean: I come from Ewell. I moved here 20 years ago. Is that garden centre still there?
Me: That garden centre is now a DIY store and it's right across the road from my house.
Dean: What the about the cinema?
Me: No, that's made way for flats now.
Dean: I used to live in St Normans's Way. Do you know it?
Me: Yes, it's a 5 minute walk from my house. My cousin lives in that road.

From then on we were know as "The Ewellites".

When my mate went out there as few months later and climbed the bridge, he got Dean as his climb leader. My mate mentioned us and Dean said "Ah yeah, the Ewellites. I remember them".

Scary huh?
Old Oct 5th 2005, 10:48 am
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

When my Mums friend (who I also know) came out here to visit her sister and partner in Perth we all went out for dinner together. That was an eerie co-incidence too I used to live opposite her sister in the UK, now we both live Perth northern suburbs.

It is such a small world.

Sharon
www.immigrateperth.com
Old Oct 5th 2005, 12:06 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thread eh!
When we were selling our house, the purchasers swor blind they knew us from somewhere but couldn't recoolect. We were sure we didn't know them. In the end, it transpired that 6 months earlier we went on holiday to Spain and they were in the airplane seats directly behind us.
Still think that's odd.

Andrew
Old Oct 5th 2005, 12:14 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
Interesting thread eh!
When we were selling our house, the purchasers swor blind they knew us from somewhere but couldn't recoolect. We were sure we didn't know them. In the end, it transpired that 6 months earlier we went on holiday to Spain and they were in the airplane seats directly behind us.
Still think that's odd.

Andrew
I love this thread, but have nothing to add as amazing as some of these stoires
Old Oct 5th 2005, 9:42 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice

I'd been travelling around OZ for 8 months and was up in Darwin and went to one of the malls..came out of a shop and bumped into a mate I hadnt seen in 6 years (who was also from the UK)!
Old Oct 5th 2005, 9:52 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
Interesting thread eh!
Still think that's odd.

Andrew
All I can say to that one, is that you must have made yourselves very very very unpopular during the flight for them to remember sitting behind you :scared: Did you recline your chair just as the wife started her dinner
Old Oct 5th 2005, 10:46 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

I was on holiday in Antigua in May, at the same hotel we always stay at . We got talking to this couple and after a very surreal conversation, it turned out they lived on the same road as us in Sussex. spooky.

Ive also been stood drying my hands in the loo at Universal Studios in LA, to dfind my classmate from New Jersey drying her hands next to me.

These things happen to me all the time, but these are the first 2 off the top of my head! Funny old world we live in!
Old Oct 6th 2005, 1:13 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
All I can say to that one, is that you must have made yourselves very very very unpopular during the flight for them to remember sitting behind you :scared: Did you recline your chair just as the wife started her dinner
You guessed!
2 small children and a baby.
We were noticed by many.
Outrageous! I mean, kids should be in the hold!

Andrew
Old Oct 6th 2005, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

yep - small world.

We first went to Sydney on hols 5 years ago, popped into a duty free shop so hubby could buy some sunglasses on the cheap, got served by a polish lady who noticed my (subtle) glaswegian accent and she said 'oh, my husband's scottish too, maybe you'll know him'. (Hubby had to walk away sniggering). Blokey comes over and he's about 20 years older than me!!! (So I must look like I've had a hard life). Anyway, we start chatting and it turns out his cousins back garden backed on to mine and we used to play some great games of tennis over the back fence!!!!!!

Then my parents sold their house a couple of years ago to a young couple who lived a couple of streets away. They bumped into them last year at a funeral and this couple were desperate to speak to my parents. They had just been to nz on hols and got talking to some guy in a bar and they got chatting about where they used to live - he lioved in the same place as them, and where they live now - turns out he knew some people who lived there. So they gave them their address and he just looked at them and said - did you buy your house from John and Betty Mac and they said - Yes how did you know? Turns out he was an old boyfriend of mine from early senior school!!!!

But trhe best one has to be about 10 years ago a friend and I were walking down main street disney fla eating a foot long hot dog each - how elegant we must have looked (hey, its not my fault its in the rules and I didn't make the rules up) when she gets a tap on her shoulder , turns round and finds herself staring straight at her boss.

Pam.