Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Education System in Australia

Education System in Australia

Old May 1st 2008, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

mattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Education System in Australia

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Actually no, not at all. I'm confident that the schools in our area are as good as any others in Brisbane (and probably a great deal better than many).

I'm also confident that in my experience Australians as a whole seem perfectly reasonably educated. International research suggests Australian eductional standards are up there with the best (better than UK) - so If my daughters find themselves drifting to the 'top of the heap' in their schools then I'm confident that they'll cut it academically with anyone anywhere....

I have a number of friends who currently live in UK having grown up in Qld and many of them are planning on returning to Brisbane before their kids turn 5 specifically because they believe an Australian education is superior to a British one... Its all about perspective! The widespread belief (fostered somewhat by 'Daily Mail Syndrome') is that UK education system is out of control and is overrun by uncontrollable oiks.

One of the first things you notice about Australian school kids 'en masse' is that they are generally quite compliant - look tidy, no skanky make-up and seem to be able to interact with society very effectively and mostly politely, by comparison groups of UK school kids seem to have skipped childhood and get accelerated into rude adolescence much sooner.
Do you know if this is based on state education? Are the comaprisons fair?I am interested to know.
Private schools are more accessible here in Oz and in my experience better as my kids did 1 year in local state school and that was enough for me thank you very much.
Old May 1st 2008, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by northernbird
She did all that in a UK school in Reception year. Must have been one hell of a school.

She went to a superb pre-school for two years from 3 to 5, she came out of that wonderful challenging environment with the confidence of a spitfire pilot, only to be completely undermined by a 2nd rate teacher and a poor school environment.

It is now a struggle to get her interested in any form of school-related work, she hates it so much, she is now 6.

To be honest, I did not expect problems this early on...........
Old May 1st 2008, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the first things you notice about Australian school kids 'en masse' is that they are generally quite compliant - look tidy, no skanky make-up and seem to be able to interact with society very effectively and mostly politely, by comparison groups of UK school kids seem to have skipped childhood and get accelerated into rude adolescence much sooner.
Certainly agree with this - on very general terms. (Although I haven't been to the rough suburbs!)
Old May 1st 2008, 3:15 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deryans
She went to a superb pre-school for two years from 3 to 5, she came out of that wonderful challenging environment with the confidence of a spitfire pilot, only to be completely undermined by a 2nd rate teacher and a poor school environment.

It is now a struggle to get her interested in any form of school-related work, she hates it so much, she is now 6.

To be honest, I did not expect problems this early on...........
I can understand your frustration particularly if your child was keen at one stage. However she is only 6 and perhaps the challenging environment just became all too much for her.
Old May 1st 2008, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deryans
Our eldest worringly went backward when she started aged 5, she easily counted, could add and subtract basic numbers, had simple multiplication/division concepts, easily knew her ABC, could spell and pronounce quite complex multi-syllable, and in year 1 we were told by the school , she could not count to 10, did not know her alphabet and needed hearing and eyesight tests.

So, after eyesight and hearing testing revealed nothing, it was left to another parent to point out to us that the teacher in questiuon just left two particular tables of kids (about 10 children) to their own devices each day during lessons, and focused on the top table of kids.

So when assessment came, these kids just stared blankly at the teacher, not knowing where to turn or what to do or where to start.

Aside from the fact that these kids confidence is ultimately being undermined, This is of course resource inefficient, as the most advanced table of kids will demand more time, and the lowest tables will suffer the inequity of a poor system.

Good system eh ?

In addition to the normal school, we are now home schooling as of last year, can't trust the state system.
Did you not notice that her learning and confidence were going backwards during that year? I work with my daughter at home (as she enjoys it - no pushing from me) and would recognise the signs, I would hope.

Hope you have changed schools now, and complained to the Principal, as that is unacceptable.
Old May 1st 2008, 3:27 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mattmc
Do you know if this is based on state education? Are the comaprisons fair?I am interested to know.
I have no idea what methodology was used in that study. As far as private vs state is concerned, yes there are more private school - but close analysis of the academic results of schools (at least in Brisbane) shows that achievments in the 'decent' state high schools are better than many of the private schools.

In fact our local high school was only 'beaten' in the recently published wank-fest of tables by 4 or 5 private schools - all of which are in teh scarey $15k/yr range...

John Howard did his best to try and privatise education in Australia and to large extent the Australian people followed like sheep and sold themselves down the river by putting their kids into private schools (around 45% of kids now). Having said that when I talk to my colleagues (all well educated, many with kids) they are mainly confident that public schooling is the way to go and is by no means a 'last resort' for drop-outs as the neo-liberal right-wing press would have us believe. Hopefully some of the damage done in the last decade can be reversed and a lively healthy inclusive public education system can re-built?

(... this is where I start dreaming of a world where everyone goes to their local school, traffic jams become a thing of the past since everyone walks to school and those students with uninspiring parents are lifted to academic excellence by the good-natured encouragement of their fellow social-minded peers... )
Old May 1st 2008, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully some of the damage done in the last decade can be reversed and a lively healthy inclusive public education system can re-built?
)
Wouldn't that be wonderful, but until they stop the heavy subsidies going to private schools (K Rudd reviewing in 2012 I believe) it is not going to happen.
Old May 1st 2008, 3:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Wouldn't that be wonderful, but until they stop the heavy subsidies going to private schools (K Rudd reviewing in 2012 I believe) it is not going to happen.
Top of his agenda then
Old May 1st 2008, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Top of his agenda then
He probably didn't want to scare off "middle Australia" by putting it top of the agenda If 45% of kids are in private, that's a lot of voters!
Old May 1st 2008, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

mattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to behold

I have no idea what methodology was used in that study. As far as private vs state is concerned, yes there are more private school - but close analysis of the academic results of schools (at least in Brisbane) shows that achievments in the 'decent' state high schools are better than many of the private schools.

In fact our local high school was only 'beaten' in the recently published wank-fest of tables by 4 or 5 private schools - all of which are in teh scarey $15k/yr range...

John Howard did his best to try and privatise education in Australia and to large extent the Australian people followed like sheep and sold themselves down the river by putting their kids into private schools (around 45% of kids now). Having said that when I talk to my colleagues (all well educated, many with kids) they are mainly confident that public schooling is the way to go and is by no means a 'last resort' for drop-outs as the neo-liberal right-wing press would have us believe. Hopefully some of the damage done in the last decade can be reversed and a lively healthy inclusive public education system can re-built?

(... this is where I start dreaming of a world where everyone goes to their local school, traffic jams become a thing of the past since everyone walks to school and those students with uninspiring parents are lifted to academic excellence by the good-natured encouragement of their fellow social-minded peers... )
What I was getting at was were the figures/stats based on a state education v state education. I think this may be a fairer study because I do not doubt for one moment that there a good state schools in QLD but the difference between the the good ones and bad ones may be vast and the private schools which are more accessible are keeping the figures for Oz high.
Interesting subject and I may go google some info later.
Thanks for your response.
Old May 1st 2008, 3:45 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

[caution: baseless excessively political postulating ahead]

Trouble is that 'the public' (damn fools) always answer this question wrong:

Which education system would you like:

a) System where YOUR child is guaranteed excellence, can chose between being a doctor, lawyer, rocket scientist or whatever - but 80% of society cant add up.

or

b) System where YOUR child could do moderately well, - but so can everyone else. Everyone else will be literate and numerate and competition for those 'lawyer/doctor/rocket scientist' roles will be more fierce so your child is less likely to 'rise above'.

They all pick 'A'.... Of course the question isnt explicitly posed in that manner - but I get the feeling that if it were FAAR too many people would pick the selfish option.

[end of postulating ]
Old May 1st 2008, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

[caution: baseless excessively political postulating ahead]

Trouble is that 'the public' (damn fools) always answer this question wrong:

Which education system would you like:

a) System where YOUR child is guaranteed excellence, can chose between being a doctor, lawyer, rocket scientist or whatever - but 80% of society cant add up.

or

b) System where YOUR child could do moderately well, - but so can everyone else. Everyone else will be literate and numerate and competition for those 'lawyer/doctor/rocket scientist' roles will be more fierce so your child is less likely to 'rise above'.

They all pick 'A'.... Of course the question isnt explicitly posed in that manner - but I get the feeling that if it were FAAR too many people would pick the selfish option.

[end of postulating ]
The thing is where I live and in some other areas they are not offered a b. If I had know it I would not have moved here.
I would like to listen to each parents reason for sending their kids to private school and if they have ever stopped for one moment to think if it is good for society as a whole.
Old May 1st 2008, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

middle australia have only moved to private because the government schools are in such bad shape,-- all part of previous governments to unburden themselves of the responsibility.

peer pressure in government schools is indecently slanted towards total rebellion! but then maybe this is in part a result of the neglected environment too.

Very few have decent sporting facilities, lack of respect for teachers, parents interfere too much.

Ned Kelly is alive and well.

Fix the system, support the teachers and spend money on infrastructure...and middle class will swing back, I'm certain of it. I think people are tired of working 2 jobs, mortgaged to the hilt just to get 'conceited spoilt brat' into a private school.

Originally Posted by rabsody
He probably didn't want to scare off "middle Australia" by putting it top of the agenda If 45% of kids are in private, that's a lot of voters!
Old May 1st 2008, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shiftdelete
middle australia have only moved to private because the government schools are in such bad shape,-- all part of previous governments to unburden themselves of the responsibility.

peer pressure in government schools is indecently slanted towards total rebellion! but then maybe this is in part a result of the neglected environment too.

Very few have decent sporting facilities, lack of respect for teachers, parents interfere too much.

Ned Kelly is alive and well.

Fix the system, support the teachers and spend money on infrastructure...and middle class will swing back, I'm certain of it. I think people are tired of working 2 jobs, mortgaged to the hilt just to get 'conceited spoilt brat' into a private school.
I agree, my best friend sent her girls private because her local state school was so awful. She felt she had no choice and it has cost them a fortune. I am very lucky in that I have two very good state schools near me to chose from (Kenmore High and Indooroopilly High) but I feel for those that don't have that option.

Even so, we were still considering sending ours private because in my experience, the school you go to still "matters" in Brisbane. Have now decided to spend the money on travelling instead, taking them to Europe etc, as that is just as educational and, besides, I hope they will have the get up and go to leave Brisbane once they are old enough and no-one OS is going to give a toss what school they went to in little old Brisbane. It only matters if you stay here.

Last edited by rabsody; May 1st 2008 at 4:26 am.
Old May 1st 2008, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Crow
Did you not notice that her learning and confidence were going backwards during that year? I work with my daughter at home (as she enjoys it - no pushing from me) and would recognise the signs, I would hope.

Hope you have changed schools now, and complained to the Principal, as that is unacceptable.

Regarding the Assesment, this seemed to be nowhere near being on the radar until the final term when quite alot (relatively speaking for 5 year olds) of pressure came down in the last term to perform, of course quite a few of these children crumbled under that pressure, which in my opnion is unacceptable. No interim reports of progress for any child were given, we assumed incorrectly that she was maintaining status quo with the "average" in the class when infact she was left with another 8-9 kids to sit and look at the ceiling...:curse:

On the part of the School, It shows poor planning, poor management and poor foresight in failure to account for something you knew was going to happen, and then to apply all this pressure in the last term on 5 year olds is hardly professional.

As regards confidence, we had bullying incidents where the poor thing would cope with it all alone and it was only another child mentioned it to their mum, who then informed us. We then had a meeting with the Teacher in who was blissfully unaware that this was going on, this ties in with the teachers "management" of her time, she was clearly only focusing on the top 10 percent of the class.

Not equitable and not acceptable. I can see why people flock to Private education. However, I am still in favour of a strong State system (eg Irish or French Model)

as regards Dadagains question to which system I want for my children, it is clearly and unequivically system "B" .

Last edited by deryans; May 1st 2008 at 4:28 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.