Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

education system

education system

Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: education system

Originally Posted by hereshoping
How exactly does testing improve learning? Summative assessment by it's very nature only assesses what has been learnt.

Now formative assessment is a different matter, but that wouldn't be termed testing.

I do actually agree that there is slightly too little assessment in Oz- for instance there should be some sort of qualification at the end of year 10, i.e. before the end of compulsory schooling.
Well it depends how mired in semantics you wish to be.

If my daughter undertakes an assessment on 3 maths topics - long division, simplifying fractions and long multiplication and she underperforms in long division compared with the other two topics then a good teacher should be setting her additional work on long division. Hence her learning is influenced by the assessment.

All assessment is formative if used correctly by teacher and parent.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scooby3
Well that is simple....kids that can research...evaluate...formulate and present ideas in verbal and written form have more chance of success in the long term than kids that are educated .
You're confusing rote learning with assessment.

How will you know how good your child is at critical thinking if you don't assess it?

How will you discover where the gaps are?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Why do you need testing? Testing does not improve learning.

I'm sure a great deal of formative assessment is going on in the classroom to allow children to progress, just because a number is not generated at the end of it does not mean assessment is not occurring.

Unfortunately in the UK people have lost any faith in the professionals educating their children, forgetting that they have undergone years of university and are the experts in this field. The government is I feel mostly to blame for this with the increased demands for 'accountability' and putting across the idea that teachers cannot be trusted to be honest- e.g. all assessment being external or moderated.

In Oz a greater degree of that trust remains, which allows children to actually be educated rather than taught how to pass the next in an endless series of exams, the results of which will be published for everyone to pour over completely out of context.
I would be perfectly content with "formative assessment" if this included feedback to the student/parent so that everyone is aware of what is expected. The schools can't have it both ways; they tell us on one hand that they believe eduction to be a partnership between home and school but only, apparently, if that means that parents don't ask awkward questions.

I would far rather have received the full NAPLAN report which shows exactly what questions my children could/could not answer rather than a dot on a scale. I would know then where the gaps are in their knowledge and be in a better position to support their learning.

I would also question whether teachers at primary level are "experts in this field'. Even Julia Gillard is on record as saying that, because there is such a shortage of teachers, the entry standards are now so low that someone who has barely passed year 12 can now be accepted into teacher training.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
The trouble with this debate is that it is turning into a UK vs Aus debate. Both systems are at opposite ends of the spectrum on testing and accountability - the UK does too much (or did do), Australia, too little.
I have found my son is constantly being tested here, weekly, termly, Naplan etc. More so than last year in the uk even with the sats.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think that the national assessments in years 5, 7 and 9, together with the normal day to day assessing, are about enough for the teachers to have a guide..
I agree.

Originally Posted by NickyC
I often wonder how we (who were educated in the UK during the 1950s, 60s, 70s and 80s) ever managed to learn to read and write.

We had no SATs, no NAPLAN tests, no nothing. The only public exam that some of us took was the 11+. There were no public statistics produced to rate our schools, our teachers and our progress. How on earth did we and our parents manage? Poor teachers - must have been like trying to teach with one hand tied behind their backs.

I guess we just have to accept that we're all stuffed educationally, because none of us know which percentile for numeracy we fell into at age 9.

But more importantly - what on earth did our parents have to talk about?
The point I made was that if they are going to do the tests at least publish all the figures, by school as well as by state, and be accountable. Why not be? If one school gets far better results than another why shouldn't they explain it?

Maybe they are promoting different values or teach by different methods or are aiming to achieve different goals but at the end of the day the kids will be assessed and chosen (for work and uni) based on the results they get in the system dictated at the time - so they have to play that game. Ideally with the ability to be self developing learners and thinkers too.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

scooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nice

You're confusing rote learning with assessment.

How will you know how good your child is at critical thinking if you don't assess it?

How will you discover where the gaps are?
I stand by my statement rote learning is not beneficial....simple quantifiable testing at a young age has little purpose either as parent we feel quite comfortable at what stage of education development our children are at without national testing or being assessed agains other kids....its like the drive in the work place to have competency based training...thats what it is training do do a task not an education.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hoveactually
I would be perfectly content with "formative assessment" if this included feedback to the student/parent so that everyone is aware of what is expected. The schools can't have it both ways; they tell us on one hand that they believe eduction to be a partnership between home and school but only, apparently, if that means that parents don't ask awkward questions. .
Spot on.
I would far rather have received the full NAPLAN report which shows exactly what questions my children could/could not answer rather than a dot on a scale. I would know then where the gaps are in their knowledge and be in a better position to support their learning.
Schools kind of have this information. They receive a report which aligns the NAPLAN spread of results with statements of learning. So to achieve score XYZ you need to have understood certain aspects of maths and English; more abstract statements are aligned with higher scores.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

I would be perfectly content with "formative assessment" if this included feedback to the student/parent so that everyone is aware of what is expected. The schools can't have it both ways; they tell us on one hand that they believe eduction to be a partnership between home and school but only, apparently, if that means that parents don't ask awkward questions. So true

I would far rather have received the full NAPLAN report which shows exactly what questions my children could/could not answer rather than a dot on a scale. I would know then where the gaps are in their knowledge and be in a better position to support their learning. agree

I would also question whether teachers at primary level are "experts in this field'. Even Julia Gillard is on record as saying that, because there is such a shortage of teachers, the entry standards are now so low that someone who has barely passed year 12 can now be accepted into teacher training.
This is why teachers should be accountable. We trust them with our childs academic future and many are barely able to do their jobs. If other professionals fail to perform then they get sacked - but not teachers. I know education isn't just about numbers and stats but they are a part of it and should form a significant part of a teachers own performance assessment. If colleagues consistantly get better reulsts than them you have to ask why?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scooby3
I stand by my statement rote learning is not beneficial....simple quantifiable testing at a young age has little purpose either as parent we feel quite comfortable at what stage of education development our children are at without national testing or being assessed agains other kids....its like the drive in the work place to have competency based training...thats what it is training do do a task not an education.
Sounds like post-modernism to me.

Whilst learning Macbeth off by heart and then being asked to say which sentence is at the top of page 63 might be Victorian, are you seriously saying that knowing your times tables is not beneficial?

Or that knowing how to spell isn't beneficial?

Or that knowing how to add two numbers isn't beneficial?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Spot on.

Schools kind of have this information. They receive a report which aligns the NAPLAN spread of results with statements of learning. So to achieve score XYZ you need to have understood certain aspects of maths and English; more abstract statements are aligned with higher scores.

Schools have exactly this information. There is A NAPLAN Additional Student Report which has a detailed breakdown of which questions were answered correctly and, for multiple choice questions, where a student answered incorrectly, what option was selected. It just isn't provided to parents in WA.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Nor in QLD
Old Nov 12th 2008, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Safin
Nor in QLD
And does this lack of information concern anyone?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

And does this lack of information concern anyone?
It certainly concerns me. If these are national tests then the feedback to parents should be the same no matter where you happen to live.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Safin
This is why teachers should be accountable. We trust them with our childs academic future and many are barely able to do their jobs. If other professionals fail to perform then they get sacked - but not teachers. I know education isn't just about numbers and stats but they are a part of it and should form a significant part of a teachers own performance assessment. If colleagues consistantly get better reulsts than them you have to ask why?
But teachers to get taken to task, and yes even sacked, if they don't do their job properly. As with all professions there will be some people who are better at their jobs than others- but incompetent teachers are not just tolerated. In both the UK and in VIC there is a rigerous system of observation and monitoring to ensure teachers are doing right by their students and to help them to improve. This sort of statement is exactly demonstrative of the complete lack of trust that many UK parents have in teachers, generally with no good reason for this mistrust.

On the rote learning/ critical thinking argument... it may be useful to know your timestable. But surely you can agree that it's more useful to understand why 6x7 is 42 in abstract terms rather than just recite the knowledge.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

On the rote learning/ critical thinking argument... it may be useful to know your timestable. But surely you can agree that it's more useful to understand why 6x7 is 42 in abstract terms rather than just recite the knowledge.
I can understand it yes - but bearing in mind how often it is necessary to know a multiple in other areas of mathematics it is critical to be able to recall them. Simplifying fractions? Calculating area? Volume? All of these more practical aspects of maths need knowledge recall of timestables.

Even though it is valuable to understand something from first principles and also to know why something is like it is, you still need to assess the understanding of the abstract to know what gaps exist in a child's learning. How can you create a program of study or learning for the child if you don't know the weaknesses?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

but incompetent teachers are not just tolerated. .
They are in WA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.