Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

education system

education system

Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future
Default Re: education system

Originally Posted by scooby3
Spoken by someone who does have children in the Australian education system 10 and 8 and in comparison to their cousins in the UK who go to a middle england supposedly high performing school they have far more critical thinking skills and understand how to learn rather than be taught by rote which is well researched to be the worst method of learning.
Very happy with our experience....and they are growing up slower which cant be a bad thing.
I stand corrected. Please tell me how you measure a child's critical thinking skills and understanding of how to learn without any form of testing. I'm glad that yours has been a happy experience, unfortunately, for us, it has not.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by northernbird
absolutely. I am pleased with our primary but I am not looking forward to high school because at this moment in time I don't know where she will be going.
Have you looked at Stormanston Catholic College which is due to open in 2011? I thought they gave a very impressive presentation at the recent public meeting; at least they will have a formal curriculum as the students will sit the International Baccalaureate.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by elmao
seems an Australia-wide curriculum is due to be introduced (in 2010):
http://www.theage.com.au/national/ne...1111-5mkg.html
It's due to be implemented from 2011.

http://www.alp.org.au/media/1008/msed120.php

We shall see.....
Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Naplan (QLD) have confirmed that only state and national data are published. They say you need to ask schools indiviually for school or class data and that it may be published in their annual reports due soon. - as expected really.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hoveactually
I stand corrected. Please tell me how you measure a child's critical thinking skills and understanding of how to learn without any form of testing. I'm glad that yours has been a happy experience, unfortunately, for us, it has not.
Why do you need testing? Testing does not improve learning.

I'm sure a great deal of formative assessment is going on in the classroom to allow children to progress, just because a number is not generated at the end of it does not mean assessment is not occurring.

Unfortunately in the UK people have lost any faith in the professionals educating their children, forgetting that they have undergone years of university and are the experts in this field. The government is I feel mostly to blame for this with the increased demands for 'accountability' and putting across the idea that teachers cannot be trusted to be honest- e.g. all assessment being external or moderated.

In Oz a greater degree of that trust remains, which allows children to actually be educated rather than taught how to pass the next in an endless series of exams, the results of which will be published for everyone to pour over completely out of context.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viviennef
I kind of agree with you Mr Grumpy like most parents I think you try to tick all the boxes - education, driving license, travel, watching wales in the millenium stadium, wedding etc.

I was looking at st Peters Lutheran in brissie which is around 13k per yr plus school trips and music lessons. My brother says he pays 15k per year.

Shall shop around I think - I was just taking his infdo on cost.

Anyone know how you find exam result table for different schools?
I know someone who taught at St Peters for many years. He said it is a great school but advised me to send my kids state (as I have a good state school nearby Kenmore High). He did not believe the difference in education warranted the cost and said some of the other private schools he'd taught as a supply teacher were absolutely awful (in particular BBC).

The great thing about St Peters is it is, I believe, the only top tier private co-ed school.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I often wonder how we (who were educated in the UK during the 1950s, 60s, 70s and 80s) ever managed to learn to read and write.

We had no SATs, no NAPLAN tests, no nothing. The only public exam that some of us took was the 11+. There were no public statistics produced to rate our schools, our teachers and our progress. How on earth did we and our parents manage? Poor teachers - must have been like trying to teach with one hand tied behind their backs.

I guess we just have to accept that we're all stuffed educationally, because none of us know which percentile for numeracy we fell into at age 9.

But more importantly - what on earth did our parents have to talk about?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereshoping
Why do you need testing? Testing does not improve learning.

I'm sure a great deal of formative assessment is going on in the classroom to allow children to progress, just because a number is not generated at the end of it does not mean assessment is not occurring.

Unfortunately in the UK people have lost any faith in the professionals educating their children, forgetting that they have undergone years of university and are the experts in this field. The government is I feel mostly to blame for this with the increased demands for 'accountability' and putting across the idea that teachers cannot be trusted to be honest- e.g. all assessment being external or moderated.

In Oz a greater degree of that trust remains, which allows children to actually be educated rather than taught how to pass the next in an endless series of exams, the results of which will be published for everyone to pour over completely out of context.
Testing does improve teaching and learning if it is done correctly.

On the issue of trust - I'd say that it was being abused on the part of the schools in certain (many?) circumstances.

The trouble with this debate is that it is turning into a UK vs Aus debate. Both systems are at opposite ends of the spectrum on testing and accountability - the UK does too much (or did do), Australia, too little.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
the UK does too much testing (or did do), Australia, too little.
I would wholeheartedly concur with that point.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Testing does improve teaching and learning if it is done correctly.

On the issue of trust - I'd say that it was being abused on the part of the schools in certain (many?) circumstances.

The trouble with this debate is that it is turning into a UK vs Aus debate. Both systems are at opposite ends of the spectrum on testing and accountability - the UK does too much (or did do), Australia, too little.
How exactly does testing improve learning? Summative assessment by it's very nature only assesses what has been learnt.

Now formative assessment is a different matter, but that wouldn't be termed testing.

I do actually agree that there is slightly too little assessment in Oz- for instance there should be some sort of qualification at the end of year 10, i.e. before the end of compulsory schooling.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

for instance there should be some sort of qualification at the end of year 10, i.e. before the end of compulsory schooling.
Do you not have an equivalent of the School Certificate in Victoria?
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au.../sc_intro.html
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:56 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by NickyC
I often wonder how we (who were educated in the UK during the 1950s, 60s, 70s and 80s) ever managed to learn to read and write.

We had no SATs, no NAPLAN tests, no nothing. The only public exam that some of us took was the 11+. There were no public statistics produced to rate our schools, our teachers and our progress. How on earth did we and our parents manage? Poor teachers - must have been like trying to teach with one hand tied behind their backs.

I guess we just have to accept that we're all stuffed educationally, because none of us know which percentile for numeracy we fell into at age 9.

But more importantly - what on earth did our parents have to talk about?
Oh No. I have now lost all confidence in my abilities, now that I understand true educatioin! (see, even my spellingb has goit stuffed!)

Old Nov 12th 2008, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NickyC
Do you not have an equivalent of the School Certificate in Victoria?
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au.../sc_intro.html
Nope, just the VCE at the end of year 12 (or VET or VCAL for vocational studies) if they leave before the end of school they get nowt.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 1:29 am
ABCDiamond

I do actually agree that there is slightly too little assessment in Oz- for instance there should be some sort of qualification at the end of year 10, i.e. before the end of compulsory schooling.
I think that the national assessments in years 5, 7 and 9, together with the normal day to day assessing, are about enough for the teachers to have a guide.
It is much more than we got, when we were kids in school.

For those in NSW, have a look at this forum (Year 10 - School Certificate), where loads of students are discussing the exams for the year 10 school certificate.

NSW & ACT both have the Year 10 School Certificate.

Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

scooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nice

Originally Posted by hoveactually
Well that is simple....kids that can research...evaluate...formulate and present ideas in verbal and written form have more chance of success in the long term than kids that are educated by rote learning...look at the scandanavian system...formal schooling starts at 7 and they achieve well...the years between 6 and 12 should be formative and not test based education that is how it runs in Scandinavia and from our experience how it works here in Australia. It doesnt matter if your kids are doing complex fractions by the time they are 9 the nurturing of learning and the desire to learn should be paramount.
National standardisation with set curricula and set testing has been shown to be non beneficial. There are some studies that show Australian kids by the age of 14 are way ahead of their UK counterparts...and yes i agree many variables involved in those studies but that is what your after a comparison.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.