Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

education system

education system

Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: education system

We'll have to agree to differ on that!
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DARREN AND NYREEN
hi

does anyone know the difference between the UK and the Australian education system.

thanks
darren, nyreen and family
Yes. Rubbish and Rubbisher.
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoveactually
Which just illustrates what happens when there is no formal curriculum.
absolutely. I am pleased with our primary but I am not looking forward to high school because at this moment in time I don't know where she will be going.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Statistics have nothing to do with the quality of education.
...and they do, not least, because of your last statement about the quality of teachers.

For too long poor teachers have hidden their own performance behind a multitude of child issues - problems at home, poor parents, older sibling dominance, low self-esteem, dyslexia.

Of course these issues are extremely important and of course they all affect child attainment and of course no two children are alike.

But if you can start from a point which says "1000 children who scored the same aptitude as your daughter at aged 7 went on to produce a Year 12 average result of 95% (and the highest was 97% and the lowest 80%)" then you have a starting point for discussion about all of the above issues. You can create dialogue.

"My child isn't achieving quite as well as is suggested from the data - let's think about what the cause could be...self-esteem, bullying?, laziness, family problems......crap teacher?????"

Of course gleaning statistics and sitting back and watching won't help but as part of informing and diagnosing and helping the individual child...it's invaluable.

WA teachers continually block attempts for greater transparency and use of objective data.

Last edited by NKSK version 2; Nov 11th 2008 at 11:50 am.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
absolutely. I am pleased with our primary but I am not looking forward to high school because at this moment in time I don't know where she will be going.
You never know, a few parents have started to turn down places because of the economic situation, this might ease the queues - I heard today that one low fee private school is seriously worried about enrollments.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by northernbird
My daughter is in Year 5 and they have been doing joined up writing at her school since year 3 and they have done all their tables up to 12.
What I find so frustrating is that some people have great experiences of Australian education and others have dire experiences.
And we're not talking about severely disadvantaged communities compared with City Beach here - we're talking differences in classes in the same school in a wealthy suburb...

Surely such a state of affirs has to be addressed?
Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
...and they do, not least, because of your last statement about the quality of teachers.

For too long poor teachers have hidden their own performance behind a multitude of child issues - problems at home, poor parents, older sibling dominance, low self-esteem, dyslexia.

Of course these issues are extremely important and of course they all affect child attainment and of course no two children are alike.

But if you can start from a point which says "1000 children who scored the same aptitude as your daughter at aged 7 went on to produce a Year 12 average result of 95% (and the highest was 97% and the lowest 80%)" then you have a starting point for discussion about all of the above issues. You can create dialogue.

"My child isn't achieving quite as well as is suggested from the data - let's think about what the cause could be...self-esteem, bullying?, laziness, family problems......crap teacher?????"

Of course gleaning statistics and sitting back and watching won't help but as part of informing and diagnosing and helping the individual child...it's invaluable.

WA teachers continually block attempts for greater transparency and use of objective data.
Still can't agree with you. Statistics can be manipulated and therefore can be deemed to be flawed, especially when applied to people. We are never going to agree on this so why don't we just leave it at that. Must admit that we could have a very lively discussion on the subject but not really appropriate for a website.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

What I find so frustrating is that some people have great experiences of Australian education and others have dire experiences.
And we're not talking about severely disadvantaged communities compared with City Beach here - we're talking differences in classes in the same school in a wealthy suburb...

Surely such a state of affirs has to be addressed?
Same could be said for any country.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Still can't agree with you. Statistics can be manipulated and therefore can be deemed to be flawed, especially when applied to people. We are never going to agree on this so why don't we just leave it at that. Must admit that we could have a very lively discussion on the subject but not really appropriate for a website.
OK
Old Nov 11th 2008, 12:01 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

You never know, a few parents have started to turn down places because of the economic situation, this might ease the queues - I heard today that one low fee private school is seriously worried about enrollments.
I hope so and I have seen some evidence of that. I tried to register interest at St Marks 18 months ago for entry into Year 8 in 2011 and they wouldn't even let me fill out a form. I called again last week and was emailed the forms without question.

I live in a normal suburb, middle of the road 20 year old suburb, certainly not City Beach (in my dreams!). The school has excellent leadership under a fantastic principal who takes an active interest in all areas of the school. I honestly can't really fault it.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Same could be said for any country.
Hey I thought you were leaving it - I gave you a smiley as well!
Old Nov 11th 2008, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hey I thought you were leaving it - I gave you a smiley as well!
Couldn't resist!
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scooby3
As a univerity educated adult from the UK who went to a primary school with no testing to see how i was doing against the rest of my class i quite like the australian system which develops the whole and allows kids to be kids.
I dont know what you are all concerned about!!!
Err my son has done nothing but bloody silly tests for half this year...first the revision for and the naplan itself which if they going to do they should publish ALL the data and now a series of revision and tests for reports. So much revision - of what? Thats not developing the whole or allowing him to be a kid.

Statistics have nothing to do with the quality of education.
Ok so if you know that 60% of the kids in your school get a certain grade or below and only 30% of neighbouring (ie same socio-economic mix etc) schools do you'd really want to ask why ?

Wish me luck - off to challenge the head of year today having got the brush off from class teacher yesterday .....
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

elmao is on a distinguished road

Which just illustrates what happens when there is no formal curriculum.
seems an Australia-wide curriculum is due to be introduced (in 2010):
http://www.theage.com.au/national/ne...1111-5mkg.html
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

scooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nice

Spoken by someone who does have children in the Australian education system 10 and 8 and in comparison to their cousins in the UK who go to a middle england supposedly high performing school they have far more critical thinking skills and understand how to learn rather than be taught by rote which is well researched to be the worst method of learning.
Very happy with our experience....and they are growing up slower which cant be a bad thing.

I dont know what you are all concerned about!!!

Spoken by someone who does not have children at school in Australia?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.